dwt
    mtbr member

29'er tubeless recommendations

Finally caved and bought a 29'er (Tall Boy c)

VERY late to the party and WAY too lazy than to search 10 years of threads on the subject of 29" tubeless tires.

I have been running 26" and 27.5" wheels tubeless for years. I refuse to buy and use Rimstrips or futz with inner tube ghetto.

Some of my tires are TLR which seat and hold with tape and sealant only just fine. Others (my 27.5") are regular tires mounted to ZTR and WTB rims with layers of gorilla tape and sealant only. Much trickier to seat.

So what do the seasoned vets recommend and use for "aggressive XC" tubeless on a TB?!!

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member

Re: 29'er tubeless recommendations

Specialized Purgatory or Ground Control in the Control flavor.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I second Purgatory Control 2Bliss tires
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    I am on a Tallboy LTc and ride all mountain throughout southern CA. I recently stripped off my Conti trail king 2.2s and replaced with the rear with a 2.35 Racing Ralph PCE Snakeskin and the front with a 2.35 Hans Dampf trailstar w/Snakeskin. Not only am I climbing faster and easier but I float over the sand drifts and grip the corners unbelievably well... best improvement I have made to the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    I second Purgatory Control 2Bliss tires
    Hi apologies for hijacking but I need advice. I bought a 2bliss purgatory for my 29er, mavic 29er st wheels. I've used ust tyres for years with no issues but this is my first 2bliss.
    I mounted it using plenty of stans fluid and made sure all was tight with the valve etc. overinflated to get a really good "pop" or the bead. Span it horizontal on both sides.
    However every few days the tyre is flat. Is this normal for 2 bliss? Ust stay inflated for months !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Hi apologies for hijacking but I need advice. I bought a 2bliss purgatory for my 29er, mavic 29er st wheels. I've used ust tyres for years with no issues but this is my first 2bliss.
    I mounted it using plenty of stans fluid and made sure all was tight with the valve etc. overinflated to get a really good "pop" or the bead. Span it horizontal on both sides.
    However every few days the tyre is flat. Is this normal for 2 bliss? Ust stay inflated for months !
    No it is not normal for a tire to deflate every 2 days. I lose about 2-3 PSI over a full week.

mtbr member
    I agree, not normal for a 2Bliss to go flat in 2 days. Mine lose 2-3 psi over a week, just like LB412. I'd dunk the tire in water to see what is leaking. A ride on the tires also seems to slosh sealant around and seal things up, too.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You may need to (if you didn't in the first place) clean out the old 'booglets' from the inside of the bead hook and then re-install. If any tubeless setup goes flat in a few days, something is wrong.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Not normal. IME losing air like this is almost always caused by valve leak. Simple to diagnose: pump tire up to 40 psi and dip wheel in tub. If bubbles are coming out from valve, you've nailed the culprit. If not, sidewalls? Spoke holes?

If valve, reinstall using dab of rubber cement or silicone glue to make sure valve rubber is sealed to rim tape. Finger tighten valve nut as hard as it will go. Let dry, remount. Should be good to go.

If bubbles are coming from sidewalls, let tire dry and dab superglue we here leaks are. Combo of superglue on outside and sealant on inside does the trick for me.

Finally if leaks are coming from spoke holes, you need to retape or add another layer.

Good luck
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.