Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er tire weight list

523K views 1K replies 447 participants last post by  Lionel_Hutz 
#1 ·
I admit that I'm a WW when it comes to tires and some of these 29er tires are scary in the weight department. There is lots of tire talk but weight is usually left out. I think it would be helpfully if we had a listing of 29er tire weights.

Here's two that I just bought:

Kenda Karma 1.95; 525 grams
Kenda Klaw 1.95 front; 665 grams

#4 ·
I am also a WW when it comes to tires. I just put on a set of 2.4 Racing Ralphs. They weighed 600 and 606 grams each. MUCH lower than published. They were 25 grams heavier that the 2.1 Kenda SB8's. The difference in width and grip offered was more than enough convincing to gain around 50 grams

#6 · (Edited)
Sweeney said:
I admit that I'm a WW when it comes to tires and some of these 29er tires are scary in the weight department. There is lots of tire talk but weight is usually left out. I think it would be helpfully if we had a listing of 29er tire weights.

Here's two that I just bought:

Kenda Karma 1.95; 525 grams
Kenda Klaw 1.95 front; 665 grams
What weight weenie 29"er tires in specific are you interested in knowing the weights of for your list?

As we all know, each tire model has a range of weights and one may luck out with a lighter weight tire of that model and another may get a heavier weight.

I have one Crow 2.0 that is 460g and one that is 480g.
I have one Raven 2.2 that is 528g and one that is 548g.
I have one Nanoraptor that is 566g and one that is 606g.
I have 4 Karma 1.9's that are all 510g.
I have 2 Racing Ralph 2.25's that are both 580g.
I have one Maxxis Aspen 2.1 that is 480g and one that is 500g.

I don't have them, but the Schwalbe Furious Fred's are 335g per tire. That should be WW enough for most.

And I could go on and on, but outside of the various Bontrager XR skinny and light versions things start to get up in the 600g+ range from there....

#8 ·
Here is my measurements list:

Notubes Crow: 439 / 478
Bontrager XR1: 484 / 489
Kenda Karma 1.9": 521 / 498
Notubes Raven: 513 / 517
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25": 563 / 547
Continental Race King 2.2": 647 / 659
Bontrager ACX 2.2" TLR: 656

From 550gr upwards, I have a hard time to consider tires to be race-worthy. That's a very personal limit, very much influenced by the terrain I race on: Mostly forest conditions with little rocks thrown in. I find, there is very little choice under 550gr. It seems some tire manufacturers just do not push to low weight in the 29" department as they do with 26" tires. There are masses of 29" tires above 600gr because of that and I think they do not need to be.

The ACX kind of proves that. Full knob, pretty wide and TLR beads at a pretty good weight. Conti achieves the same weight with their Race Kings (and my pair is light!), but with only a semi knob tread. If Conti would use their "supersonic" casing, the Race King would be on par with the Racing Ralph, possibly even lighter. Now THAT would make a racing tire. We're only at the beginning of 29er specific development, I guess.

Now if we just could persuade the Germans to go and race 29ers... ;)

#18 ·
F5000sl said:
Not to be a downer, but how can NoTubes tires even be considered mtb tires? It's easy to be light when you don't have any rubber knobs.
Not to be a downer back at you, but this question is getting about as tiresome as is possible on every thread that the Raven or Crow is mentioned. All I can say is go buy a Crow, a Raven, a Vulpine, a Furious Fred or any other semi-slick XC race tire and give 'em a go. Then get back to us on what you discovered and found by running them. By the way, there are more tires in this category for 29"ers coming.:D

Plenty of guys riding and racing semi-slick tires in the 26" and the 29" platforms who would beg to differ with your opinion as to how they could be considered a mountain bike tire.

Toss a leg over a pair, take 'em out on your trails and get back to us.:thumbsup: That's really the only way to answer the question.

BB

#20 ·
I'm with you Bruce.

F5000SL should have taken a trip to Houffalize this spring to tell the Fisher world cup team that what they were doing with those tires on that course should not be considered MTB.

On an XC specific course, more riding skills equals less traction needed.

Back to tire weights: I have some Intense's lying around that I should weigh to add some to the 'boat anchor' category, but where...