Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er tire weight list

523K views 1K replies 447 participants last post by  Lionel_Hutz 
#1 ·
I admit that I'm a WW when it comes to tires and some of these 29er tires are scary in the weight department. There is lots of tire talk but weight is usually left out. I think it would be helpfully if we had a listing of 29er tire weights.

Here's two that I just bought:

Kenda Karma 1.95; 525 grams
Kenda Klaw 1.95 front; 665 grams

#35 ·
michelin xc at 2.0. 650, 660. after 6 years of just riding/racing/commuting on my 29er. i haven't ridden a tire that is more durable, sheds mud and just plain works better than all other tires that i've tried. i usually get 1500+ road commuting miles at 55 psi and another 500 + offroad at 32 psi including racing out of a pair. buy em, they are less expensive than most as well. where i live it's all rocks and the side walls hold up incredibly well on em.

rog

#36 ·
mtbnutty said:
Yea, they came in heavy, but recently I've been slicing casings left and right. Bontragers, Speciliazed and WTB have been recent victims. The Nevegals are the only ones that have held up, but talk about heavy and sloow! Hopefully the Rampages are all that everyone says they are.
Depending on where you ride, the Rampages are an excellent all around tire. I have been running them exclusively for about two years in rooty, rocky terrain and love them. They are a bit heavy (didn't weigh my 1st set, 2nd was as listed above). I need a new set and was going to try something with a little less resistance and a bit lighter. Traction is great though.

#41 ·
newmarketrog said:
michelin xc at 2.0. 650, 660. after 6 years of just riding/racing/commuting on my 29er. i haven't ridden a tire that is more durable, sheds mud and just plain works better than all other tires that i've tried. i usually get 1500+ road commuting miles at 55 psi and another 500 + offroad at 32 psi including racing out of a pair. buy em, they are less expensive than most as well. where i live it's all rocks and the side walls hold up incredibly well on em.

rog
WOW, that's 60-75 grams less than listed on Bike29. If that's accurate, it is a huge (albeit positive) discrepancy. Are those weights consistent with other sets you've had, or are they the only ones you've weighed?

#47 ·
meltingfeather said:
done, done and done. i whipped through the posts pretty quickly, so i'm not promising that everything is perfect. i do however, understand averaging. :D
Wasn't trying to explain _your_ average.
Just how mine was interpreted
(i.e. that I had two weights one for my Front and one for the Back tire, rather than I weighed the same tire twice with two close results that I averaged).

Again, jolly good show on the spreadsheet!