Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er tire weight list

523K views 1K replies 447 participants last post by  Lionel_Hutz 
#1 ·
I admit that I'm a WW when it comes to tires and some of these 29er tires are scary in the weight department. There is lots of tire talk but weight is usually left out. I think it would be helpfully if we had a listing of 29er tire weights.

Here's two that I just bought:

Kenda Karma 1.95; 525 grams
Kenda Klaw 1.95 front; 665 grams

#130 ·
AlienSP said:
Specialized Captain S-Works 2Bliss 2.0 620g, 597g
Specialized Fast Trak 2.0 528g, 531g, 562g
Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 613g
WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 782g, 778g
The Fast Trak on my previous post was LK S-Works 2Bliss. There are many variations of the same model by Specialized and they have left certain weights off their website this year.

#131 ·
AlienSP said:
The Fast Trak on my previous post was LK S-Works 2Bliss. There are many variations of the same model by Specialized and they have left certain weights off their website this year.
Thanks. I was able to guess that one based on the fact that it is one of the only tires Specialized does post a weight for. A post with complete information on the tire model is a rarity. I do my best to figure it out and keep the spreadsheet reasonable, but I can't always do that.

#132 ·
Menzo said:
I'm riding the Schwalbe Furious Fred 29x2.0 for two weeks

319 grams and 354 grams

Real size is not 2.0 but rather 1.8. They are no bigger than my Bontrager Jones XR 1.8.

HELLA fast on hardpack, gravel, road, roots and grass. Avoid rocks or any terrain that can cause pinch flat because they are thin like road tires (actually I'd call them "high volume road tires with small knobs". Acceleration is INSANE compare to any other tires :yikes: Rolling resistance is.... well it's like there is none :D. Increased my cruising speed by 3 mph.

Need more speed. GET THEM !!!!
I'm curious, You say it increased your cruising speed but if this was by a speedometer with magnetic imput would it not be affected by the somewhat smaller wheel diameter? If you are using a garmin gps then as Rosanne Roseannadanna would say, "nevermind"!

#133 ·
I'm curious, You say it increased your cruising speed but if this was by a speedometer with magnetic imput would it not be affected by the somewhat smaller wheel diameter?
I use a wireless bike computer and every time I change the tires I adjust the wheel size in the computer. For example, the wheel circumference is 220 cm with Bontrager 1.8 but 226 cm with Maxxis ignitor 2.1 (just examples I don't remember the real numbers) so if I would ride a 26er the circumference could be 200 cm per rotation so the speed is always the same no matter the wheel size.

I also use a heart rate monitor. When I say increase my cruising speed I mean that I rode the same loop several times with different tires and compared the heartbeats in different sections. At the same heartbeats I'm going faster with the Furious Fred than other tires or from another point of view at the same speed around the loop, my heartbeats are lower because the effort to turn the wheels is smaller.

I wish I own a power tap to get more accurate numbers...

#139 ·
BruceBrown said:
Not to be a downer back at you, but this question is getting about as tiresome as is possible on every thread that the Raven or Crow is mentioned. All I can say is go buy a Crow, a Raven, a Vulpine, a Furious Fred or any other semi-slick XC race tire and give 'em a go. Then get back to us on what you discovered and found by running them. By the way, there are more tires in this category for 29"ers coming.:D

Plenty of guys riding and racing semi-slick tires in the 26" and the 29" platforms who would beg to differ with your opinion as to how they could be considered a mountain bike tire.

Toss a leg over a pair, take 'em out on your trails and get back to us.:thumbsup: That's really the only way to answer the question.

BB
second this post......there traction is very suprisingly good and amazingly supple......great for hard tail

#141 ·
Swapped out tires today and made a world of difference.

Here's what my scale tells me:

Kenda Nevegals 2.2 wire bead: 925 grams
Kenda Karmas 1.9 folding: 553 grams

Dropped 2 lbs on my bike and it was noticably different on today's ride + the narrower width tightened up the sterring a bit. Those Nevegals were made for tanks.

#142 ·
Specialized Captain S-Works 2Bliss 2.0 581g
Specialized Fast Trak S-Works 2Bliss 2.0 530g
Specialized Captain Control 2Bliss 2.2 702g (thicker sidewalls than SWorks)

Specialized has returned to publishing the weights again on the their website. Seems to fall within the actual numbers that I've weighed.

Also general tire mfg info:
http://mind42.com/pub/mindmap?mid=2ee90401-aed0-450d-ad19-edfff4b6be95

#143 ·
Bontrager 29-3 (TLR, 2.25", front-specific tread): 732g

And so worth it. Cornering traction is phenomenal, and the sidewalls feel very burly. I do wish they would make a version of this tire with thinner, more pliable sidewalls for less rocky areas though.

#148 · (Edited)
JDiamond said:
Thats funny. Anyone with a serious reply that contains some useful information?
Just havin' some fun. ;) UST tires weigh a lot because of the amount of material in them. Remember that UST is just Mavic's proprietary tubeless brand and was originally designed to run w/out sealant. Since most people running tubeless want the benefits of sealant (even in UST tires), more manufacturers are coming out with tubeless designs, though mostly designed to work with sealant, so much lighter than UST. Since you said you don't want 'tubeless ready', do you only want certified UST (licensed by Mavic to have 'UST' printed on them)?
Mavic has done a fantastic job of marketing to get people to think that UST is the only 'real' tubeless tire... for a while it was, but many are catching up. I ride regular tires tubeless :eek: and it works incredibly well for me, but ain't for everyone (obviously).
I think UST will have a hard time in the 29er platform because they are ridiculously heavy. They may even have a hard time competing with 'tubeless ready' tires on 26" because of the advent of sealant and the weight factor.
There aren't too many UST 29er tires to start with, and I don't know of one that is under about 750g. Heck, even 26" UST tires w/some tread on them push 900(+)g!!
I think only Geax, Michelin, and Hutchinson are licensed for UST and AFAIK Geax is the only mfr to actually make and market them... about four models. So, pick the lightest out of those... not a hard choice, I think you're looking at a Barro Race, which is a 2.0 XC tire w/out a ton of tread, and still weighs in at 740g (claimed).

#150 ·
JDiamond said:
Any recommendations for a 29" UST taht doesn't weigh a ton? Real UST, not tubeless ready.
What meltingfeather says. There are only two or three 29er UST tires. Hutchinson, Geax, not sure about Michelin. They will be heavy. I have not used one, never will. The conversions and TLR work too well and I get 20+ tires to choose from and not 2. The only UST rims are the Mavic Crossmax 29er. Pretty limited choice from a company with a vested interest in keeping it that way. :skep:

#151 ·
Yeah, this is about what I'm finding. I started riding UST on Mavics a long time ago and I know I've paid for it with little choice on tires and some extra weight. I tried the Stan's when it was introduced and did not like it at all, but I realize it has become almost flawless. My dilemma is that wheels are sooooooo expensive and I dont want to run stans on a UST wheelset because it would be heavier than it has to be and I dont want to risk not liking the Stan's rims. I guess I need to just pick one and go with it, Thanks for all the advice. BTW, Specialized makes one that comes in around 675 claimed.