Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er tire weight list

523K views 1K replies 447 participants last post by  Lionel_Hutz 
#1 ·
I admit that I'm a WW when it comes to tires and some of these 29er tires are scary in the weight department. There is lots of tire talk but weight is usually left out. I think it would be helpfully if we had a listing of 29er tire weights.

Here's two that I just bought:

Kenda Karma 1.95; 525 grams
Kenda Klaw 1.95 front; 665 grams

#1,316 ·
Got a box from Germany full of Wolkpack tires.

Trail 29x2.4: 850g advertised, 809g actual
Cross 29x24: 699g advertised, 722g and 739g actual
Race 29x2.25: 640g advertised, 681g actual

All pretty light, but some are way over promised. The sidewalls feel thin so will be interesting to see how they hold up. A bit disappointed in the tread on the Trail tire; tiny knobs and barely different than the Cross. The profile suggests they're going to have big, round volume. It will be a couple months before I test them.

#640 ·
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 TL-Ready, Snakeskin
Published weight 605 g
Actual weight 665 g

60 g heavier than published weight! I contacted Schwalbe and received this response:

Hi,

Published weights are approximate. Schwalbe’s variance on the published weights are +/- 8-11%.

This is not a warranty issue on this tire.

Regards,

gb

Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed in Schwalbe. Will definitely be looking for another brand.

#942 ·
RaRa addix speed (liteskin) 29x2.25
574g and 576g.
claimed is 560 so close enough.

Just a 1 yr review of the longterm use of this new addix speed compound. If you scroll back a year ago you can see where I had bought the (snake skin) version of the same tires. I can 100% for sure say that the new compound last and last a very long time. I cannot say if they grip the same to me as they grip just like old RaRa's IMO. However, the old pacestar rara's would literally start to lose the side knobs for me in about 4 rides. They were way too expensive to be going thru them that fast so I had switched to specialized tires. Anyways, the addix compound for sure last. Matter of fact I just put these new ones on after a whole year of riding the addix snake skins.

These liteskins feel much better compared to the snakeskins. They are way more supple. They actually remind me of the old s works compound and feel which makes sense because they nabbed that guy up from specialized to help make rara better. Now I will say...The liteskins took a bit to get them to stay sealed. You had to put sealant in and leave them on their sides over night and air them up again in the morning and do thi s for about 48hrs till they finally sealed and stayed that way. As a race day tire I am pretty good to start just using these. I just ran them at Marathon MTB Nationals and they made it. I saw TONS of flats at this event too. Most from what I could see seemed to be vittoria. I did puncture on some bombing descent, but it eventually sealed and I was able to hit it with some co2 and keep going.

So there you have it. I personally like the new addix compound as far as it truly living up to "lasting longer". They do.

Hope that helps. Automotive tire Electronic device Scale Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Scale Measuring instrument

#946 ·
RaRa addix speed (liteskin) 29x2.25
574g and 576g.
claimed is 560 so close enough.

Just a 1 yr review of the longterm use of this new addix speed compound. If you scroll back a year ago you can see where I had bought the (snake skin) version of the same tires. I can 100% for sure say that the new compound last and last a very long time. I cannot say if they grip the same to me as they grip just like old RaRa's IMO. However, the old pacestar rara's would literally start to lose the side knobs for me in about 4 rides. They were way too expensive to be going thru them that fast so I had switched to specialized tires. Anyways, the addix compound for sure last. Matter of fact I just put these new ones on after a whole year of riding the addix snake skins.

These liteskins feel much better compared to the snakeskins. They are way more supple. They actually remind me of the old s works compound and feel which makes sense because they nabbed that guy up from specialized to help make rara better. Now I will say...The liteskins took a bit to get them to stay sealed. You had to put sealant in and leave them on their sides over night and air them up again in the morning and do thi s for about 48hrs till they finally sealed and stayed that way. As a race day tire I am pretty good to start just using these. I just ran them at Marathon MTB Nationals and they made it. I saw TONS of flats at this event too. Most from what I could see seemed to be vittoria. I did puncture on some bombing descent, but it eventually sealed and I was able to hit it with some co2 and keep going.

So there you have it. I personally like the new addix compound as far as it truly living up to "lasting longer". They do.

Hope that helps. View attachment 1197139
View attachment 1197140
I agree with your findings. The addix Speed compound deifinitely lasts longer than the PaceStar compound.
Also Vittoria G+ tyre require Stans Race sealant to plug the puncture quickly or any sealant thas more viscous or has larger particles in the mix to plug the . It takes at least 10 x as many rpm of the wheel to seal the puncture with cnventional Stans and G+ tyre. They roll fantastically well though.
My favurite overall marathon tyre combo currently is Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear and Barzo front, Mezcal/Saguaro rear. For hardpack i go RaRa front and back in speed compound or Mezcal front and back.

The Rocket Ron combo also works very well in mud at 2.0-2.2bar

#994 ·
Re-weighed some tires, and got some new ones.

Hutchinson Taipan 29x.2.1 tubeless ready, Race Riposte: model PV524882: 622 (advertised 608). Nice!

Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25, Snakeskin, Addix Speedgrip, tubeless easy, 648 (claimed 610)

2018 Continental Race King Protection 29x2.2: 657

Forte Pisgah I 29x2.1: 667

Hutchinson Gila 29x2.1: 687

Ground Control Gripton 29x2.1: 730. Claimed 630.
Over 15% higher than claimed. Ouch..

Fast Track Control Gripton 29x2.3: 723/736. Originally claimed 640, then 650. Arount 15% higher than claimed. Ouch again.

Mezcals G+ TNT 29x2.35: 730 each.

Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 29x2.4: 769g. Claimed 780. Yay!

Forte Pisgah II 29x2.3: (not tubeless): 808/799

Hutchinson Toro 29x2.1 Hardskin, Race Riposte, model PV526192: 817 (advertised 705, so 15.8% over). Ouch!

DHR Dual 29x2.3 EXO TR: 903 (before cutting tread). Claimed 855.

Hutchinson Toro 29x2.25, hardskin RR 66TPI: 906g. Claimed 900g.

DHF EXO, TR Dual: 1006 when new (i rounded down with my first measurement). Later 1025 (after sealant).
Claimed 925. Mini-ouch.

#1,068 · (Edited)
29x3.0 Maxxis Minion DHR II Exo 3C MaxTerra
More than 1kg (max on accurate scale).
2.9lb on luggage scale in zip tie. Which is the same as the DC version. I think it should be 150g lighter than this.
A second opinion on a 5kg scale will be provided in a couple days.
<edit 1301g>
Automotive tire Tread Grey Synthetic rubber Font

#1,077 · (Edited)
29x3.0 Maxxis Minion DHR II Exo 3C MaxTerra
More than 1kg (max on accurate scale).
2.9lb on luggage scale in zip tie. Which is the same as the DC version. I think it should be 150g lighter than this.
A second opinion on a 5kg scale will be provided in a couple days.
View attachment 1955899
I just purchased a DHRII 29 2.4 WT 3C Maxx Terra, EXO, TR- list 955g, actual 1042g....I emailed Maxxis to find out if compounds ever get mixed up do to the weight not being close to list and was told that their weight list is out dated and the Factory list should is 994g. Nice to know that Maxxis could care less about updating their product weights and are okay with posting misinformation to the consumers. No one buys tires and certain compounds based on weight, do they?

#1,082 ·
Got a new EXO+ V2 60-tpi Maxxis Rekon 29x2.4. Came in at 956g, so a bit heavier, but nothing crazy.
Would hate to know what you consider crazy then. That's literally 100g more than advertised and what's considered "normal" for that tire.
TB00301000
29X2.40WT
61-622
FOLDABLE
840g <------ Advertised Weight
3C MAXX TERRA
3CT/EXO+/TR
Black
MOUNTAIN

#1,087 ·
I picked up a pair of Bontrager XR3 Team Issue TLR 29x2.4's this weekend and installed them on my new 30iw wheelset.

Trek's advertised weight is 755g and on my scale they weighed in at 802g and 804g and on top of that neither of them even quite measured 2.3" with my calipers.

I was quite surprised and disappointed as I've been a fan of Bontrager tires in the past and historically found them to weigh and measure out just about right on spec.

#1,088 ·
Seems to be a common theme with all manufactures here lately. They are stamping whatever they want on the side for width/volume, and all but specialized tires are coming in way over their advertised weight.

I personally care less about the weight within reason, but for damn sure if you are advertising 2.4 they better be 2.4...Especially on 30mm IW rims.

#1,103 ·
Renegade 29*2.35 Control T5 - 629gr
Fast Trak 29*2.35 Control T5 - 671gr
Fast Trak 29*2.35 Grid T7 - 767gr
Really curious to what width those blow up to. I had horrible luck with the new specialized FT's and Renegades not even coming close to advertised width / ETRTO. This is on 30mm wide rims on top of that. My 2.35 ft's didnt' even make it to 2.27 barely. That's leaving them at 45psi for days too. Throw a caliper on them once you get them mounted if you can.

T

#1,129 ·
Picked up a pair of Vittoria Barzo / Mezcal to try in 2.35 x 29" tanwall flavour. Weight for both is a hair over 700g. I'm almost certain these are lighter than the grey or black sidewall versions.

Bead to bead on both is about 144mm, identical to the lightly used 2.35 "Super Race" Racing Ralph I have knocking about.

Compared with the Ralph, the Vittorias have thinner and more supple sidewalls, yet a thicker and stiffer tread area. This doesn't concern me as I'll be running inserts and don't tend to ride where there are tons of sharp rocks, but the sidewalls are very thin right down to the bead...