mtbr member
    Aug 2011

29er commuter tires for streets of San Francisco

My lil bro is riding to and from work on a '13 Rockhopper with Ground Controls front and rear which i imagine is not ideal. He's got i think a 200+ foot climb on the way back.

I was wondering what you would recommend to replace them with that are of equal weight (670g) or less. I'm not familiar with the 29er world of tires yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They're 700c rims, throw a pair of road skinnies on. Continental Gatorskins are some of the best in terms of puncture protection, and will be a good sight lighter. Even the wider 32mm tires are about half that weight.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    One of the varieties of Schwalbe Marathon would be my choice. My commuter has Marathon Supremes, 28mm front, 35mm rear.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wasn't sure about the 700c part. I guess make sure the tire is wider than the rim?

I was thinking about these:
    Continental Contact Tire at BikeTiresDirect

700c x 32mm - Reflective @ 550g

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    since it is 29er/700c I wonder if he could find some cheap and really light wheels not intended for offroad to further drop rotational?

mtbr member
    Those will be fine, if he's hopping curbs n such, wider/more volume is better, so I'd get the 37's (I just started using a set of these, great so far). I like schwalbe tires (big apple 2.0 or marathon's) but they're pricey. Another option is some semi slicks in the 45mm range.
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I wasn't sure about the 700c part. I guess make sure the tire is wider than the rim?

I was thinking about these:
    Continental Contact Tire at BikeTiresDirect

700c x 32mm - Reflective @ 550g
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]