mtbr member
    Nov 2017

29er 30mm ID/Maxxis 2.3 Combo?

Hey,

SO - I'm not sure if I'm happy with having 30mm ID rims on my 29er. I feel like (IME) I've lost some of the 'zip' with the weight gain and am struggling with tyres either being too square or too big. I know it's early days. Also, 29er has a larger footprint before we start playing with tyre sizes, I just feel like I'm looking for my sweetspot and really see the benefit in principle.

I'm thinking of changing my tyre choices to make up the difference now I have some volume in the bank with the rims.

Has anyone run/running the 60tpi Minion DHF 2.3 3C on the front of their 30mm rim AM/Trail bike? Reason I ask is, that tire is lighter than my current fav (Butcher Grid) so I'm thinking the weight gain of the rim, can be compensated for with the tyre which also brings the weight in from the outside of the wheel, double benefit - but what's the profile like?

Any fast rear tyre recommendations for the UK weather in the same vein? I'll probably check out the aggressor when it dries up a bit for the back.

Thanks, I had a look but couldn't find this subject elsewhere here, apologies if it's been done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    IMHO those tires do best on a 25mm rim. 30mm you're riding with the side knobs engaged. Probably would drag more than any weight difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have 29x29mm ID rims with a 2.35 Schwalbe HD in front and a 2.3 Schwalbe NN in back. Not in the same league as the Minions traction wise but the profile is great stretched out. I mainly do a XC/Trail mix of riding in dry rocky conditions though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    I have 29x29mm ID rims with a 2.35 Schwalbe HD in front and a 2.3 Schwalbe NN in back. Not in the same league as the Minions traction wise but the profile is great stretched out. I mainly do a XC/Trail mix of riding in dry rocky conditions though.
    Yes I'm sure those tyre's are fine profile wise - the casings are massive for the stated size! If no one has stuck a minion 2.3 on a 30mm rim I guess it answers the question, but the reason I specified that tyre is that they are quite small but sometimes tyres work ok, and the extra volume might work well...? I expect not though.. Curious without spending the cash, or I might go down to 25mm with an XM421. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Been riding DHR 2 front and Minion SS on the rear for more than a year already. 29 x 29 id rims. Been working well for me even on a trip from Whistler recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bontrager tyres blow up big ^^ 2.4's would for your bill & they're still pretty light

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"