mtbr member

29" tire options, I'm at a loss 300 dollars later...

not that spending money on bike stuff isn't fun, and I actually enjoy geeking out about bike parts but, tires... I'm actually ready for a tire that I want to ride...

I'm a long time 29" hold out but I've found a big wheel bike I LOVE. I just haven't found the tires to match. Essentially what I'm looking for is a HIGH volume (2.4 maybe wider) that doesn't have an aggressively tall side knob. The closest tire that I've found is a Schwalbe Hans Dampf, it's a great looser condition FRONT tire but I find it too squirmy for the rear, and it's too squirmy for the front when conditions are hard packed, ie now.

I just bought an Ardent 2.4 EXO version - it's NARROW and not what I would consider a true 2.4. I matched that with a Minion R II 2.3 in a TR version in the back, again super NARROW! Not excited about either tire now after long after $100 (again).

In a perfect world I want a true to size 2.4 front and rear tire that's tubeless ready or even UST at this point. Does anyone have experience with the brand new Minion DHF 2.5? It's HEAVY, but I might go that route for a front tire. I'd LOVE an Ikon (ish) tire in a 2.4 or even a Crossmark in a wider selection. Why do smaller knob tires only come in race widths? The industry is missing something I think...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Michelin RaceR 2.25 for the rear. Sturdy tire, shorter knobs, great traction. Actually measures 2.3"

There's always next year.
    You might be the first person I've seen call the 2.4 Ardent narrow... Almost makes me wonder if you got a mismatched sample. What rims are you running?

I've run Ardents on the original version of Stans Arches, and found them to be nice and wide--heck, they could rub the frame on my Pivot Mach 429. I could run them at pretty low pressures and get cush. Granted, I never measured them, but visually, they looked bigger than WTB Wolverines (claimed 2.2s)

There is an IKON coming (may already be out) at a 2.35 width (I think thats the number) I have no experience with them and real world widths, but I do know my IKON 2.2s where under that on Arches.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I run Maxxis Ardent and Schwalbe Racing Ralph both 2.4. I have noticed the RR hold more volume. I do agree the Ardents are somewhat narrow for being called 2.4. If volume is what you're looking for I recommend the 2.4 RR. I've been very happy with them on my fully rigid SS 29er. In fact I would even say they are the best tires I have ever used. The only downside of the RR are the rather thin sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    You might be the first person I've seen call the 2.4 Ardent narrow...
    Same here. And I was the bicycle design engineer for Maxxis for 5 years.

The Ardent 29x2.4 should measure over 60mm at the widest tread block on a 21mm internal width rim at normal inflation pressures.

How exactly are you measuring your tires?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.