mtbr member

26x2.2 Maxxis Ikon Exo 3C EXO

Oops, make that Exc EXO's. Just got one tire in the mail and mounted it up on a DT M1700 wheel, rear tire. There has been a lot of info on the 29x2.2, but not as much on the 26 version. It came in at 540 grams, the width of the tire, folded was about 6.25 inches - 158 mm. Mounted, the tread is 52 mm wide and the tire is 54 mm wide. I expect it will stretch a bit. Think Racing Ralph 2.25 carcass with a RaRa 2.1 tread width. Mounted tubeless. As with most EXO's, it holds air very well. I'm being forced to go to work today...something about feeding my family, I didn't catch it all, but I'll try to get in a ride report soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anxious to hear how things go. Riding Geax AKA TNT right now and was looking at the Ikon as my next tire. Tons of info on 29" version...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I run one of these on the rear and have done so for over 12 months. Great summer tire, love the volume, low weight and cornering is great. Not so good when the dirt gets wet and sticky - tread pattern holds the muds and it gums up badly.

FYI, I previously ran the non-(3C exo) version and the side wall wore through pretty fast, to the point where the threads were all cut up and it split. So for anyone thinking about being cheap, don't do it, get the 3C exo version.

mtbr member
    I managed a ride today that has a 6 mile section with 1400 feet of climbing that serves as a data point for me. It's pretty buff, so climbing traction wasn't tested. I had the 2.2 Ikon on the rear with a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front. A very similar feel overall to using a 2.25 RaRa Evo on the back with a 2.4 NoNi Evo on the front - the Ikon traction is a bit less than the RaRa and the Ardent has better bite than the NoNi. My times were about the same with the Ikon/Ardent combo as the RaRa/NoNi combo. The downhill portion of the ride is rocky with switchbacks and the braking action on the 2.2 Ikon was just a bit less than the 2.25 RaRa as well. The 2.2 Ikon rolled fast and the volume felt like a 2.25 RaRa with just a bit less braking grip.