Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    AKA Mr.Habanero

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

I really enjoy the 29er chinese carbon rim thread but l didnt see anything for all mountain chinese wheels or rims. I'm looking for some 26in carbon all mountain rims that need to be wide, pretty light and strong to go on my Tracer2. Going through all the Asian carbon stores is big undertaking. That, and l dont fully understand everything about wheels. Are all the rims pretty much for xc if not can someone point me in the right direction

mtbr member
    Well the company that everybody is buying the wheels from in the 29er thread also makes 26er carbon rims as well.

26er MTB carbon MTB rim clincher - light-bicycle

That is the regular 24mm wide 26er. They are also in the process of producing a wider 26er that will come in at 30mm wide (external), 23mm wide (internal), and 23mm depth...which is wider than the ZTR Flow. Not sure on the weight of the wider rim since I'm still waiting for a reply from Nancy.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Commit or eat sh!t
    Do you know what the internal width is on those rims? Price and weight looks reasonable. Found the 29er rim thread. Has others used the 26er version?

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ch...ms-673410.html

meh
    they will be ready around the end of the month, this is the profile of the similar 29er rims...id imagine the 26" will be identical

Save Jesus
    I see there's no inner ridge to keep the bead in place.

mtbr member
    Here is what Nancy sent me for the wider 26er...she also mentioned that the weight will be right around 370-380g.

Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Suitable for DH?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Suitable for DH?
    Impossible to tell, as these are not in production yet. However given that a Mavic 823 weighs over 600g, it's a bit hard to imagine that a sub 400 carbon rim is intended to compete in that usage category.

Check the 20 page thread in the 29er section for some short term ride reports.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have been, I actually want to build up a set of normal 29er rims for my 29ers

But currently I am planning to build a set of DH rims with Stans Flow or DT swiss 500, so I wonder if these would work. The real question is what would happen if you hit something hard enough that would normally dent a aluminum rim.
    S-Works all the bikes!

meh
    well, pound for pound, properly laid up carbon will be stronger than aluminum in pretty much all aspects, too many variables here to know though if these will adhere to that, i dont think id risk it on DH as the risk far outweighs the reward...light-bikes can build the rims up beefier for heavier riders upon request, so that might be an option if you are brave
    enve has a DH rim coming out soon that has been quite durable in testing, much moreso than aluminum DH rims and weighs in around 475g...they will assuredly be better than these chinese rims, at a major cost penalty
    Enve DH

Commit or eat sh!t
    I have seen Enve rims fail. One rim that a pro DH rider was using broke, with the bead hook chipped off. An AL rim would have bent at that spot. Granted, this was at Bootleg, so not too many rims last there.

Enve DH's are $1000 per rim. It's a joke.

For DH, if you are going to use light rims, you are better off using something cheaper like Flow and replacing it every season or more.

meh
    read the article i linked about the testing they did, may be one you were talking aobut:

During the 2010 season, the Syndicate’s first on the carbon rims, they replaced 53 wheels, which was down from a reported 180 wheels per season when the team was on alloy. In 2011, the team had to replace just 11 wheels.

Of last season’s 11 broken wheels, not one lost air pressure or warranted their rider to slow before the finish line. “They were cracking hook beads,” said Schiers of the failures
    Last edited by clewttu; 02-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Article on Enve DH rims (including weights) are here: ENVE Launch DH Rims And Wheels - BikeRadar

So will a sub 400g rim be suitable for DH? Especially when the manufacturer has stated a rider weight limit? The answer should be self evident.

mtbr member
    Yeah ENVE, is a little too pricey for me. I love high end stuff, but when cost is 1000% ($600 vs. $60) greater then a comparable aluminum rim that weighs about the same, I think there is a better way to go.

But like it has been said, if the carbon fails it's one of 2 ways, it's a crack and it's not a huge deal, or it is a fracture, and all hell breaks loose in your world at that moment.
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Here is what Nancy sent me for the wider 26er...she also mentioned that the weight will be right around 370-380g.

That profile doesn't look like it'll be tubeless compatible at all. The profile looks exactly like their current narrow 26 rim profile and the current rim is not tubeless compatible according to Nancy when I inquired about them.
    I hope they make the profile like the wider 29er rim.

mtbr member
    Per Nancy just a few minutes ago:

"Hello sir,

It is tubeless compatible,but we are doing the strength testing & also the outlook checking. To make them perfect.

Thanks,
    Nancy"
    Current Ride:

meh
    well, if thats the case, the rim profile she sent you is incorrect...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    well, if thats the case, the rim profile she sent you is incorrect...
    Agreed,
    I have the popcorn and wine in hand watching this thread. If I could get a sub 400g 23mm wide (internal) rim for my new Lefty build I'd be thrilled. I'd even go as high as $200 for it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Looks like March 5th is the ETA for the wider 26er. Nancy is checking back with the engineer to get me an up-to-date cross-section.
    Current Ride:

Paper or plastic?
    What's the profile of their XC rim? At 330gr, it could make a killer rear wheel.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

meh
    you can send them an email to get the exact one
    here is the 29er XC rim from the other thread

mtbr member
    Eagerly awaiting when someone gets an updated cross section profile of the new wider version.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    That profile doesn't look like it'll be tubeless compatible at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    well, if thats the case [it's tubeless compatible], the rim profile she sent you is incorrect...
    Can you explain or draw what the profile needs to be or how it needs to change for tubeless and why that is? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Would something like the Bontrager rim strip work, granted it would add weight but, doesn't it have a beadlock on the rimstrip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Can you explain or draw what the profile needs to be or how it needs to change for tubeless and why that is? Thanks!
    See the flat ramps on the sides? Holds the bead in place so it can seal.

Bend, Oregon

Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast