Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1754
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone have opinions on the older 23mm ID 650b wheels that they offer to build up for you? Was thinking of having them build me up a set.

Huckin' trails

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Anyone have opinions on the older 23mm ID 650b wheels that they offer to build up for you? Was thinking of having them build me up a set.
    They can build you a set with any rims they offer, even if they show rim only option. Just email them.

From what I heard, build quality isn't impressive (considering the use of carbon rims as being a luxury and not just a standard build), so you'd better build them up yourself or have a local experienced wheelbuilder do it for you. Their spokes are great, but I'm concerned about the lengths they use that can be on the very short side or too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

LB enduro 33mm carbon rim, 36 psi rear, purg 2.3, 2 inch root, sooo bummed, totally surprised. They were great for a while.
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

mtbr member
    Yea, it happens. I had it happen to my rear a few months ago too, but the good thing is they warrantied it without too much problem. They replaced it with a hookless model too so I think the sidewalls are a little stronger now.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman69 View Post
    I'm bummed! I went riding today and as I was bombing down the trail, I bunny hopped off a small riser on the trail and when I landed, I heard a loud pop. When I got to the bottom of the trail shortly after, I noticed the tire was low. So when I looked at it, this is what I found. The line down the tire is where the Stan's leaked out when the rim broke. Luckily, I pumped it back up and it held air and stayed straight for the rest of the ride back to my truck, another 6 miles or so. I took it easy though. I already emailed Nancy and Kartrin and got a response that they are on vacation until the 8th. Hopefully they will warranty it. What's weird though is it wasn't anything big. I've taken these rims off drops, jumps, through big rock gardens and they were fine, but it broke on something small. I don't know, maybe I landed on a rock or something. I'm super bummed though because I love these rims. They have been awesome until today, but I guess nothing is indestructible.
    Exactly what happened to mine in exactly the same place. Harmless looking little root that took them out! I was shocked. Loved them up till now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So im really torn on if ill build up my replacement rim or just try to sell it. Loved these while i rode them but just not sure if i can trust them again after breaking them on our beginner trail (cool-down lap) in such a nothing incident. Cost to rebuild with flows $300. Relace replacement $130. Plus loss of bling and addition of weight. Thoughts???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    So im really torn on if ill build up my replacement rim or just try to sell it. Loved these while i rode them but just not sure if i can trust them again after breaking them on our beginner trail (cool-down lap) in such a nothing incident. Cost to rebuild with flows $300. Relace replacement $130. Plus loss of bling and addition of weight. Thoughts???
    I cracked my rear within a month of getting them (I had the older "wide" AM version). I was even very careful about my pressures, keeping it over 30 psi, also had a pretty stout tire (DHF 2.5). My front is still going strong after over two years, no issues. My opinion is that that aggressive riders will eventually damage a rear carbon rim. I switched to a Flow EX rear and haven't looked back. The weight savings is just not worth it if it leaves you stranded in a remote location on a huge ride.

mtbr member
    I put my replacement 33 wide hookless AM rim on and rode Snow Summit and Mammoth on it. YOLO!!!
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Not sure how replacing your rim with a Flow Ex is $300. The rim goes for about $70, spokes should be about $30, learn to build it yourself (maybe $12 for an online ebook) and another $20 for a local, reputable builder to check your work.

Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Not sure how replacing your rim with a Flow Ex is $300. The rim goes for about $70, spokes should be about $30, learn to build it yourself (maybe $12 for an online ebook) and another $20 for a local, reputable builder to check your work.

Eric
    $300 sounds about right. $140 for 2 flow rims, $60 for spokes, maybe $50 for each wheel build.

not everyone has the inclination to build their own wheels. the tools cost a lot too - you can build the tools yourself though.

having said that, despite the reasonably high cost of buying all the tools (>$400), i am so glad i did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sclyde,
    I agree with you about not everyone wanting/able to build their own wheels. I am horrible reading directions, bought an online resource, built laced my wheels in about 40min each (I am not mechanically inclined) and brought a case of beer over to a friend for final adjustments.
    My wheel build came in less than $500 for Hope hubs and Sapim spokes. I have three children, everything bike related needs to be done cheap.
    Also, I believe the guy only wanted to replace one wheel.

Eric

mtbr member

Is it a 26" 33 wide hookless replacement? If so, how much? Pm me if u want to sell it.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cost to rebuild with flows $300.
    I believe the guy only wanted to replace one wheel.

Eric
    flows. you missed the s

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I definitely missed the S on the flows but he did not add one on the rim part!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I definitely missed the S on the flows but he did not add one on the rim part!!!
    The $300 was for two flow ex rims, blue alloy nipples, wheel smith db spokes, stans tape and labor. I have 3 kids too and can relate to the need for do-it-yourself thinking that comes with it, but there are some things I still leave up to my lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is it a 26" 33 wide hookless replacement? If so, how much? Pm me if u want to sell it.
    Will do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Lesson learned!

Huckin' trails

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

I too have a spare hookless rim... Sell it or buy a second one to build up a new set ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How is the hookless version holding up? Are they more durable?
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    yea, i have a handful of ez rides on them and it feels smoother but now just waiting for that back one to go crack

mtbr member
    So far so good. The side wall is a little bit thicker so I'm sure it's a little stronger. I think the tolerances are a little tighter too. The tires were a little harder to get on, but when I first aired them up, they held air for 2 days without any sealant in them. I rode them in Mammoth Bike Park and Snow Summit off jumps, drops and through rock gardens. No problems...yet.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So far so good. The side wall is a little bit thicker so I'm sure it's a little stronger. I think the tolerances are a little tighter too. The tires were a little harder to get on, but when I first aired them up, they held air for 2 days without any sealant in them. I rode them in Mammoth Bike Park and Snow Summit off jumps, drops and through rock gardens. No problems...yet.
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if the new Schwalbe procore system would help at all.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm loving mine, corning is where you really notice it and they have stayed perfectly true!, the only thing is that the rim does seem to mark up with rock/stone strikes, just lacquer marks hopefully no chips. I used Gorilla tape and they hold air well.

Enjoy..

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if the new Schwalbe procore system would help at all.
    I think that system defeats the purpose of having a light weight tubeless wheel. That system just adds un necessary weight and complexity. A wide carbon hookless rim is strong and has an increased air volume so you can run lower pressures for better traction without worrying about pinch flats. Because the rim is wider and hookless with tighter tolerances, there is no burping or rolling the tire on the rim either. I've yet to burp or roll the tire on the rim with these new wheels even when railing high speed turns and lower pressures, (20-22 in front and 25-28 in the rear). I love these wheels. And for those that don't know, Light Bikes is now making 38mm wide X 32mm deep 26" rims. I ordered mine a couple days ago, so I'll post how they are when I get them.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Mr. Knowitall
    If you normally run Super Gravity tires, you can go for normal tires without worrying about rock strikes etc. So if you run normal tires just fine, the ProCore system is not for you.

Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast