Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    I get the same info mentioning China still
    Well the tracking is now showing that it was scanned in NY this morning. This will have been 4 days since I received the tracking number. Not really sure why it went the long way across the pond. I have everything else I need, just waiting on these damn rims.
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My rim shipment tracking also shows China Sorting and Dispatch center (Ziamen) for (3) days now, so I am hoping that the USPS tracking is updated by Monday showing US routing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    [QUOTE=cosmoworks;9512706]Depends on your definition of "low". He was running 35 psi front and back.

Hmmm? Somethings not right! He must have bashed something really hard to bottom out a 35 psi tire, case the rim and crack it! He was running tubes and didn't have a pinch flat? Sounds like he either had low tire pressure or he was cliff jumping!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbasa
    He was running tubes and didn't have a pinch flat? Sounds like he either had low tire pressure or he was cliff jumping!
    No pinch flats. And I assure you, no cliff jumping was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer
    Please do keep us updated. Depending on how light bicycles handles his case will push me one way or the other on buying a set of these rims. I do plan on buying the "beefier" version though.
    It sounds like he's paying for one rim at a reduced price, and getting the other warrantied. He's asked that the replacements be built up with more reinforcement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    Upon cleaning his bike after riding, he found that both of his rims were cracked. His setup was using tubes, 35 psi front and rear tire pressure (kenda Excavator folding tires), 175 pounds fully geared up rider weight, 6” travel AM bike. I’d say he’s your typical AM rider who’s not afraid to ride technical sections, but definitely not at DH break-neck speeds.
    Respectfully, I think his pressure gauge is off. I just built these wheels up today, and I'm going to bash the piss out of them tomorrow, to make sure they hold up for race day. They are SOOO stiff I can't wait for the first ride. I am 200lbs RTR, and I don't see any issues arising, though I will report for sure either way.

IMO the crack/fracture pictures shown, indicates direct sidewall flattening, where the rock created a stress point. As long as the tire has enough air pressure, matching rider weight to riding style, I can't see that happening. That looks like the same impact that would bend the bead lip on a std Aluminum rim. If you can't monitor your pressures enough to prevent rim dents, I don't think carbon rims are for you. The same force that would dent a std Aluminum rim, will most likely be permanent failure on a carbon rim.

That said, I could see blowing through 35psi on the rear MAYBE at 175lbs, but never enough on the front to do that to a rim. Something has to be incorrect with teh PSI info.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Well the tracking is now showing that it was scanned in NY this morning. This will have been 4 days since I received the tracking number. Not really sure why it went the long way across the pond. I have everything else I need, just waiting on these damn rims.
    Not sure when you ordered, but I had "everything else I needed" for 3 months before my rims came in. Could always be worse. 4 days to hit the US is not bad at all just so you know.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just finished building my blacked out wheelset. Built up just as easy as the 50mm carbon clinchers I got from Nancy.

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get the chance..too tired now. Going to have to run out to purchase the bontrager tubeless strip tomorrow as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    No pinch flats. And I assure you, no cliff jumping was involved.

It sounds like he's paying for one rim at a reduced price, and getting the other warrantied. He's asked that the replacements be built up with more reinforcement.
    Ok so thats not so bad. I don't see why they would not warranty both but at least they are doing something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Respectfully, I think his pressure gauge is off. I just built these wheels up today, and I'm going to bash the piss out of them tomorrow, to make sure they hold up for race day. They are SOOO stiff I can't wait for the first rid.
    Let us know how they do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Done

Had my rims built up by a local shop here on Thurs and went for a ride yesterday.

I built them to CK and the total weight was 1780 g (rims, spokes, nipples, valve stems and two layers of yellow tape.) They are exactly 200 g less than my Flows on CK with exact same.

Guess I could have gotten the overall package even lower had I gone for AC hubs instead but I love my CK's.

Set up with tubeless was pretty easy. Used a compressor and the beads seated at about 35psi. No leaks anywhere thus far.

My first ride so far was good. They seemed lighter and bounced around a little more than I am used to but it could also have been due to the higher psi I was using at around 30 ( i have been running 25psi in my flows with great success this year)

I am off for a 4 day ride vacation into the interior British Columbia tomorrow so that will be a good test.

I love the look of them, as they match my Mojo HD nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-mojo-july-2012.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-front-wheel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Had my rims built up by a local shop here on Thurs and went for a ride yesterday.

I built them to CK and the total weight was 1780 g (rims, spokes, nipples, valve stems and two layers of yellow tape.) They are exactly 200 g less than my Flows on CK with exact same.

Guess I could have gotten the overall package even lower had I gone for AC hubs instead but I love my CK's.

Set up with tubeless was pretty easy. Used a compressor and the beads seated at about 35psi. No leaks anywhere thus far.

My first ride so far was good. They seemed lighter and bounced around a little more than I am used to but it could also have been due to the higher psi I was using at around 30 ( i have been running 25psi in my flows with great success this year)

I am off for a 4 day ride vacation into the interior British Columbia tomorrow so that will be a good test.

I love the look of them, as they match my Mojo HD nicely.
    I am a little surprised at the weight of yours, I guess those CK hubs are a little heavier than I thought. What spokes did you use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here's mine:
    -UD Matte 32h
    -CX-Ray and Sapim Polyax Alu nips
    -Bontrager strip with Stans tubeless valve valve.

*Weight includes tubeless strip and valve.
    Front wheel: 762g
    Rear wheel: 890g
    Total weight: 1652g

Overall, slightly heavier than the Hope Hoops/Crest that I had previously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    I am a little surprised at the weight of yours, I guess those CK hubs are a little heavier than I thought. What spokes did you use?
    They ar DT Swiss straight gauge, as recommended by the shop. I don't know enough about spokes to make an educated guess as to what I should be using for my riding around here in Kananaskis/Rockies.

When I was comparing the CK's and ACs it was about 200g difference between the front and rear so it would have been substantial drop over all.

Boyeeee
    Finally got my wheels back from the builder.

Front hub is a Chub 20mm. Rear is a DT 240S w/ 10mm endcaps and 36pt star ratchets. DT double butted spokes and brass nipples. The builder said they came in right around 1500 grams, but I don't have a scale that I can verify that with. Overall, he said that they build up very stiff but took a little work to get true.

My Bontrager rim strips should be delivered tomorrow. First ride will be Wednesday with the after work crew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anthonylokrn - Gorgeous wheels! Standard weight rims? LD or SD CK Hub up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Anthonylokrn - Gorgeous wheels! Standard weight rims? LD or SD CK Hub up front?
    That's a 20mm axle, so ld hub

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Here's mine:
    -UD Matte 32h

Loving those murdered out wheels! Just what I am going to do, matte black with black spokes and nips! Nice wheels man!

Forgive me if this has been answered already—I didn't see it posted earlier. Their website does not seem to explain the difference between the UD, 3K and 12K weaves. Can someone either post me links to where there is info on this, or fill me in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    That's a 20mm axle, so ld hub
    Exactly.

20mm front and 142x12mm rear.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb721 View Post
    Loving those murdered out wheels! Just what I am going to do, matte black with black spokes and nips! Nice wheels man!
    Thanks! Bad thing is that I can't get the Maxxis Ikon/Ardent tires to seat with a floor pump...going to have to fire up the compressor tomorrow.

I used Sapim 12mm nips on the build and 258mm spokes front and rear. It was the perfect length for both sides on the front and also the rear DS. For the rear NDS, 258mm is exposing ~1mm thread, so probably best to go with 260mm or 259mm (if you can find it) for the rear NDS.

Forgive me if this has been answered already—I didn't see it posted earlier. Their website does not seem to explain the difference between the UD, 3K and 12K weaves. Can someone either post me links to where there is info on this, or fill me in?
    UD, 3k, and 12k weaves are the outlook. I'm not a big fan of 12k though...makes it look old school.

3K,12K,UD Weave Differences

mtbr member
    Here's mine:
    -UD Matte 32h

YES!!! These look killer!!!!!!
    Although I'm leaning more on the 3k weave in Matte...Weight not too shabby for all mountain/trail wheels!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    I might have mentionned this before, but mine came out at 1388gr for the pair.
    -Wide rim (26")
    -MTB252 (rear) and MTB162 (front)
    -spokes: DT SWISS Aerolite 264mm + nipples
    -no valve, no tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just received my (2) pair of 26" AM 3k nude Carbon Rims. Hand delivered to my office by the Postmaster, after leaving China last Thursday (4) days form China to Tahoe (via SF). Amazing! The workmanship fit and finish looks first rate! Just handling them, it is obvious that the lateral stiffness is off the chart when contrasted to a comparable alloy rim. I believe that the main benefit of the carbon will be increased lateral stiffness/ less wheel deflection and better vibration dampening at the same weight as a Stan's Alloy rim. What a great technological age we live in! Bikes just keep getting faster, lighter, stiffer (as i get older and softer). Every edge helps. Now off to the wheel builder! Ride report to follow

mtbr member
    Here's mine:
    -UD Matte 32h

Post a pic of your rig built up with the wheels. All in all, how much did the wheelset set you back?
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Wouldn't this be an easier route? Already laced up to 240s hubs with all the parts to convert. I would think one would have a little more faith in a Reynolds rim rather than a "chinese" brand. Not that the "chinese" ones are bad.

REYNOLDS XC CARBON 26" MOUNTAIN BIKE WHEELSET 6 BOLT DISC TUBELESS SHIMANO NEW | eBay

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Wouldn't this be an easier route? Already laced up to 240s hubs with all the parts to convert. I would think one would have a little more faith in a Reynolds rim rather than a "chinese" brand. Not that the "chinese" ones are bad.

REYNOLDS XC CARBON 26" MOUNTAIN BIKE WHEELSET 6 BOLT DISC TUBELESS SHIMANO NEW | eBay
    they cost 2-3x as much dependent on component selection, have reynolds hubs, and arent as wide. but you have a bit more piece of mind should they fail.
    those things considered, id rather have the chinese rims, ymmv

mtbr member
    The current model Reynolds do have a different hub. The ones linked are last years which have a rebranded 240s. I was looking at these chinese rims too. $300 just for the rims shipped. One rear 240s hub is roughly $400. Not to stir the pot but how do you figure $599 plus $35 shipping is 2-3x more? Granted you would have to win the auction at that price or close to it. And I do realize some people would rather choose there own hub. But IMO this is a good option with something that has a little more R&D behind it. Just thought I would share.

meh
    they will not sell 599 (if they do then its a heck of a deal) so basing anything off that price is pointless, msrp is 1900, i found them on sale for 1600....so thats where the 2-3 times came from

mtbr member

meh
    well, if thats the case, like i said, heck of a deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Post a pic of your rig built up with the wheels. All in all, how much did the wheelset set you back?
    I should have some pictures later today hopefully. Cost wise it was right around $1k.

$330 - Light-Bicycle UD Matte
    $120 - (60) 258mm CX-Ray J-Bend...I had a few 258mm leftover from my road wheelset.
    $525 - Chris King ISO 20mm / 142x12mm
    $30 - Sapim Polyax Alu 12mm nipples

Self built so no labor cost.

32h 3-cross all around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    Ok so thats not so bad. I don't see why they would not warranty both but at least they are doing something.
    My friend made the mistake of asking, "How much will it cost to replace my front cracked rim"? It was only after he paid the reduced price for front, that he realized the rear was cracked too - which he insisted they warranty in full. I'm not sure how they would have responded if he asked them to warranty both from the start.

But so far they have been very eager and willing to work with him, which is definitely a plus. I have my set coming soon (reinforced ones), and we're going to take some comparison measurements of the rim's sidewall to see if there's a difference.

Exactly.

I used Sapim 12mm nips on the build and 258mm spokes front and rear. It was the perfect length for both sides on the front and also the rear DS. For the rear NDS, 258mm is exposing ~1mm thread, so probably best to go with 260mm or 259mm (if you can find it) for the rear NDS.

UD, 3k, and 12k weaves are the outlook. I'm not a big fan of 12k though...makes it look old school.

3K,12K,UD Weave Differences
    Thanks for the info! I think I will build mine with Hope Evo 2's. I am guessing the spoke length will be fairly similar, but will double check it all when the time comes—cant' wait!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tires are finally fully seated, took a little bit more work than the Crest I had previously. The beads would not stay seated using a tube and floor pump, I had to resort to a compressor and lots of soap. Beads finally popped in at around 30 psi.

Mounted the cassette and rotors as well. Going to let it sit for the night and give it a test ride tomorrow.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Thanks for the info! I think I will build mine with Hope Evo 2's. I am guessing the spoke length will be fairly similar, but will double check it all when the time comes—cant' wait!
    Received my rims yesterday & took them straight to the shop after work. Red nips & red Hope Evo 2s. Using 260mm DT Swiss Comp spokes. Should have them back later today!

Dirt Bike Craig
    My buddy at the bike shop mentioned possibly doing carbon prep for the nipples. Is anyone having to do this on their rims? I thought I read that it wasn't completely necessary but I want to make sure.
    Thanks

Boyeeee
    Rim strips came in last night and I mounted up the tires, cassette, and rotors. The tires seated very easily with the rim strips (I always use a compressor).

Also, I used some NoTubes valves with the Bonty rim strips and they sealed well, but are a little short. It shouldn't be an issue, they just look a little odd and the pump doesn't hold the valves super well.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur View Post
    Finally got my wheels back from the builder.

Front hub is a Chub 20mm. Rear is a DT 240S w/ 10mm endcaps and 36pt star ratchets. DT double butted spokes and brass nipples. The builder said they came in right around 1500 grams, but I don't have a scale that I can verify that with. Overall, he said that they build up very stiff but took a little work to get true.

My Bontrager rim strips should be delivered tomorrow. First ride will be Wednesday with the after work crew.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My buddy at the bike shop mentioned possibly doing carbon prep for the nipples. Is anyone having to do this on their rims? I thought I read that it wasn't completely necessary but I want to make sure.
    Thanks
    No need for prep unless he meant oiling the spoke threads.

Rim strips came in last night and I mounted up the tires, cassette, and rotors. The tires seated very easily with the rim strips (I always use a compressor).

Also, I used some NoTubes valves with the Bonty rim strips and they sealed well, but are a little short. It shouldn't be an issue, they just look a little odd and the pump doesn't hold the valves super well.
    Same here with the shortness of the valve; I also used a rubber mallet to tap the valve in to get a good seal.

Notubes also makes a 44mm tubeless valve for road rims that should be the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And the money shots:

Dirt Bike Craig
    very nice!

Dirt Bike Craig
    Well I just received a very disappointing phone call from my LBS. My wheel build has hit yet another delay due to "the spokes being about 4mm too short". We had ordered the 260mm DT Swiss spokes after using the DT calculator with the rim specs from Light-Bicycle (536mm ERD) and the Hope hub specs from Hope's website.

I have no idea where or what went wrong...but very disappointed nonetheless

What spoke length are others using?

mtbr member
    Well I just received a very disappointing phone call from my LBS. My wheel build has hit yet another delay due to "the spokes being about 4mm too short". We had ordered the 260mm DT Swiss spokes after using the DT calculator with the rim specs from Light-Bicycle (536mm ERD) and the Hope hub specs from Hope's website.

I have no idea where or what went wrong...but very disappointed nonetheless

What spoke length are others using?
    I used Wheelsmiths 260mm/258mm spokes with my Hope Flow 2's and everything was dead nuts perfect. Just assembled after getting my rims last week.
    Bend, Oregon

Dirt Bike Craig
    So double checking Hope's website in the tech docs... They say Pro 2 & Pro 2 EVO use the same hub shell, however these two documents offer different specs.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...Dimensions.pdf
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...fsetandpcd.pdf

My front hub is a Pro 2 20mm thru axle & rear hub is a Pro 2 EVO....

Just trying to figure out what could have gone wrong in the spoke length calculation

mtbr member
    So double checking Hope's website in the tech docs... They say Pro 2 & Pro 2 EVO use the same hub shell, however these two documents offer different specs.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...Dimensions.pdf
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...fsetandpcd.pdf

My front hub is a Pro 2 20mm thru axle & rear hub is a Pro 2 EVO....

Just trying to figure out what could have gone wrong in the spoke length calculation
    I used the same spoke length as you, and have your exact same hubs, and all was dead on. Maybe your spokes were wrong.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    is there a problem using shorter spokes?...
    I really ask. I want to know.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I used the same spoke length as you, and have your exact same hubs, and all was dead on. Maybe your spokes were wrong.
    Yeah something sounds fishy... going to go down there after work and sort things out. Im thinking either the wrong spokes were ordered or sent, of the guy grabbed the wrong box of spokes. I hope its the latter

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saruti View Post
    is there a problem using shorter spokes?...
    I really ask. I want to know.
    Well you need the spoke to thread into the nipple far enough that it's secure and able to hold the tension without failing. Ideally you should have about 1mm of spoke thread exposed below the nipple(1mm left to thread in) if your spokes are 4mm too short with 12mm nipples you can switch to 16mm nipples and be fine.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    if your spokes are 4mm too short with 12mm nipples you can switch to 16mm nipples and be fine.
    Not sure what size nipples hes trying to use for my wheels, but that is a great point that I hadnt thought about. I will also bring that up to him

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure what size nipples hes trying to use for my wheels, but that is a great point that I hadnt thought about. I will also bring that up to him
    DT Comps are so popular as well...if it's a shop that build wheels often, then they should carry most sizes...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey anthonylokrn
    How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking.
    I went with basically the same build except I went withdifferent spokes (CK 20mm front/CK 142x12rear and DT Swiss 2.0 straight gauge spokes). I honestly don't know whether the 2.0 is overkill and could have gotten away with something lighter.

I only dropped 200g from my old King/Flow set, which I assume has the same spokes, given that the Flows are exactly 100g heavier than the light bicycle carbon.

Just thinking that maybe i shoulda gone with a lighter gauge spoke and droppped a few more grams of rotational weight? I am pushing 200lbs with gear now.

mtbr member
    OK, so here's a follow up. My original post (#9) when I received the rims was 11 April 2012. I assembled the wheel (only the rear as I am running 650b front) and rode it for a few rides before packing the bike up and departing on my annual mountain bike trip. This year was one week in Steamboat Springs and one week in Crested Butte. I have to say the wheel has performed great. Still in true, nice and stiff. A few scratches here and there from all the rocks but I think these rims are well worth the money.

Here's just one picture from the Upper Loop Crested Butte.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-upperloop_wheel.jpg  

Dirt Bike Craig
    DT Comps are so popular as well...if it's a shop that build wheels often, then they should carry most sizes...
    He measured them out to need 261mm & 263mm spokes. He said he could use the 260mm for the one side and only had 262mm DT Swiss comps in silver....so I wait until Tuesday-Wednesday for the new spokes.

I'm so anxious to try these rims out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey anthonylokrn
    I went with basically the same build except I went withdifferent spokes (CK 20mm front/CK 142x12rear and DT Swiss 2.0 straight gauge spokes). I honestly don't know whether the 2.0 is overkill and could have gotten away with something lighter.

I only dropped 200g from my old King/Flow set, which I assume has the same spokes, given that the Flows are exactly 100g heavier than the light bicycle carbon.

Just thinking that maybe i shoulda gone with a lighter gauge spoke and droppped a few more grams of rotational weight? I am pushing 200lbs with gear now.
    Straight gauge spokes aren't stronger than butted spokes, they are weaker. Its a common misconception that the heavier spoke is somehow stronger. Spokes are very strong nevertheless. it's just harder to build with double butted spokes because they tend to "wind up" easier which just means when you are turning the nipple it's not turning on the spoke, you're turning the spoke which doesn't actually increase tension. There are techniques to deal with this it just makes building the wheel harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey anthonylokrn

I should be right around 180 lbs fully geared. I also built my Light-Bicycle 50mm carbon clinchers with CX-Ray as well...20/24H so no problems at all.

Boyeeee
    I have a couple of rides with the wheels so far and they're pretty nice. They are noticeably stiffer and lighter than my previous setup (Mavic 819 rear, NoTubes Flow front), the rim is nice and wide, and the rims with the Rhythm strips hold air nicely.

Thumbs up so far.

mtbr member
    Serious question guys!

These or the new E13 rims?

I'm having a real conundrum here, building onto King hubs with DT comp spokes. Claimed weight is within two grams (370 carbon vs 372 E13), these are very slightly wider and the price after shipping and tax is within £1 either way.
    But, I can order today and have the E13s tomorrow.

So does anyone have some advice on this or should I just flip a coin?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Where do you get info on this E13 rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradyab View Post
    Where do you get info on this E13 rim?
    Silverfish, E13's UK distributor.
    TRS+ rim
    372g
    21mm bead width
    28mm external
    ERD 533mm
    28/32 hole
    £125 delivered (Chinese comes to £124-ish after import tax is applied).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quick review: Just got back from a riding vacation in Fernie, British Columbia. Logged about 150km so far on the rims.
    I ran them on my Mojo HD and ran my suspension a little softer than usual.

Ardent 2.25 EXO's tubeless converted and used about 28psi front and rear.

Overall, very happy with the stiffness and lack of flex. Rode variety of terrain and purposely hit the roots and rock sections hard to see how the fared. The bike railed and I had a blast on all the trails.
    I did burp a little on my front wheel but I didn't notice until I was finished the ride and saw a little white sealant running on the sidewall. Maybe I have to switch over to the Bontrage Rhythm strips instead of the Stan's yellow tape?
    There a few scratches and scuffs on them now as well from the rocks but considering the rocky sections that I choose to ride through, not unexpected. Don't know if I had the glossy finish if that would hide them better or whether the matte is the way to go?

All in all, very happy. Could be selling my Flow wheelset if this happy feeling continues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Does anyone have any 3rd person view video of riding these rims yet through a rough section of trail or jumping?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gunnar-man,

What trails did you ride while in Fernie? If you could take the time to let me know some of the trails, it would help me know how they would hold up to my weight (220lbs).

Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gunnar-man,

What trails did you ride while in Fernie? If you could take the time to let me know some of the trails, it would help me know how they would hold up to my weight (220lbs).

Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Gunnar-man,

Eric

Hypervent, Castle rocks, Southern Comfort, South Castle, What's up doc, sidewinder, R trail, Eric's trail, Kidstuff, Splitting bears, Coal Discovery, Project 9, Gorby trail, Verboten ( i think that was all of them)

mtbr member
    Anybody have any issues with shipping or had? It left China for California on 7/24 and it got sent all the way to New York. It arrived at customs in New York on 7/28 and no update since. I have no idea why it went to the east coast first when it should have went to California. I see a lot of people on the west coast of the US getting them in 4 days. WTF?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    Anybody have any issues with shipping or had? It left China for California on 7/24 and it got sent all the way to New York. It arrived at customs in New York on 7/28 and no update since. I have no idea why it went to the east coast first when it should have went to California. I see a lot of people on the west coast of the US getting them in 4 days. WTF?!
    No problems at all for me on two orders. Your problem seems to be with customs..normally once customs release the package you should get it the next day.

mtbr member
    No problems at all for me on two orders. Your problem seems to be with customs..normally once customs release the package you should get it the next day.
    Thanks...Its been stuck at customs for two days..WTF

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine are stuck in customs as well at the moment. They were posted on Wednesday last week and have been in customs since Sunday.

mtbr member
    Just got my 26er wide UD matte carbon rims from light B (took a week to get here)
    Yesterday I've got my new superstar evo hubs (front 20 /rear 135x10)
    Will measure the rims and figure out what length spokes I need
    Hope to build them soon
    Will go on my MKIII iron horse AM bike.
    I use the bike mostly for trail rides but also some big gaps and drops if they are in my way :-)

I'll take some pics soon

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe I missed it somewhere in this huge thread, but is anyone having luck with UST tires seating? I tried some Specialized Eskars and no luck so far.

meh
    What method did you go with? Vast majority haven't had issues
    I was able to seat nobby nic tubeless ready completely dry with a floor pump, using bonti rhythm strips

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gunnar-man,

Thanks for the response. I don't remember all the trails but I remember Fernie with amazing trails.

Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    What method did you go with? Vast majority haven't had issues
    I was able to seat nobby nic tubeless ready completely dry with a floor pump, using bonti rhythm strips
    Maybe I'm missing something here, I thought ust and "tubeless-ready" had slightly different beads? I haven't actually tried sealing them yet because when tried them with a tube the tire just doesn't want to seat on the rim properly. It has a big hop in it no matter what. I've tried using lots of soap and water with high pressure an no luck.

meh
    tubeless ready has the same bead as UST, just no extra layer of rubber on the inside...regardless, these rims arent really UST/tubeless ready/whatever you want to call it without using something like rhythm strips no matter what the LB website names them
    are you using stans tape? or you used soap and water with a tube? confused

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My order took (4) days from China, however the EMS tracking was incorrect indicating overnight that it was in new York, then the next morning it correctly stated San Francisco. I would hold tight, maybe it is a random customs delay. On another tangent, how long from the time you placed the order did it take to received the shipping notice. My order took about 6-7 weeks to be fulfilled, then arrived within 5 days to west coast.

"El Whatever"
    Has anyone built these rims off from DT Swiss EX500 (5.1's - 539 ERD) with the same spokes or same spoke lengths?

I'm on EX500's but these are catching my eye. Worth a try if I don't have to swap spokes as my wheels have very little use (almost none).

DT Spoke calc tells me to use 258mm for front wheel, 259/257 for the rear. I may be using 260's all over with the DT's. I don't know exactly what my wheelbuilder used. Thanks!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    tubeless ready has the same bead as UST, just no extra layer of rubber on the inside...regardless, these rims arent really UST/tubeless ready/whatever you want to call it without using something like rhythm strips no matter what the LB website names them
    are you using stans tape? or you used soap and water with a tube? confused
    I have Stan's tape on the rims, but decided to try to use a tube in them first to see if they would seat. I figured there was no point wasting Stan's sealant in them if they don't seat correctly.

Dirt Bike Craig
    My wheels are finally almost finished being built. Got a little preview of the front laced up last night

New wheels are almost ready! #MTB by FMX_DBC, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There is just something about the color red paired with carbon fiber that is so damn sexy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    My order took (4) days from China, however the EMS tracking was incorrect indicating overnight that it was in new York, then the next morning it correctly stated San Francisco. I would hold tight, maybe it is a random customs delay. On another tangent, how long from the time you placed the order did it take to received the shipping notice. My order took about 6-7 weeks to be fulfilled, then arrived within 5 days to west coast.
    I placed my order back on June 9th. Shipped July 24th and it updated at 2am today that it left customs in NY. So my wait has been over a week currently.

I actually should be waiting longer but Brian asked if I would be willing to take one that weighed 369 and one that was slightly heavier at 390. If not it would have been a couple more days to a week for them to make a lighter wheel. I was expecting something in the 370 range so I was fine if one was 20 grams heavier. I'll just run the heavier rim in the rear. Enve rims come in at 395 so it still weighs less than what I am getting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    I placed my order back on June 9th. Shipped July 24th and it updated at 2am today that it left customs in NY. So my wait has been over a week currently.

I actually should be waiting longer but Brian asked if I would be willing to take one that weighed 369 and one that was slightly heavier at 390. If not it would have been a couple more days to a week for them to make a lighter wheel. I was expecting something in the 370 range so I was fine if one was 20 grams heavier. I'll just run the heavier rim in the rear. Enve rims come in at 395 so it still weighs less than what I am getting.
    I did it the other way around. I had a 20 grams difference between the 2 rims and decided to use the lightest one in the back, for less rotational weight on the wheel you have to accelerate. I think (might be wrong) that's where I should have the lightest far-from-center weight.

Please let me know if I have this wrong....

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Generally speaking, the rear wheel will be subjected to much higher forces than the front one account of the rider's weight having a rearward bias and the force of the chain being as well the brake being applied. Riding sat down exacerbates this as your arms will naturally compensate for the front wheel, but your rear wheel will take the full force of your body weight.

In practice, it doesn't matter on mtbs as rims tend to be overbuilt on purpose, even lightweight ones. But look at road bikes and quite often the rear wheel has more spokes and a beefier rim to cope with the extra energy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    I did it the other way around. I had a 20 grams difference between the 2 rims and decided to use the lightest one in the back, for less rotational weight on the wheel you have to accelerate. I think (might be wrong) that's where I should have the lightest far-from-center weight.

Johnnydrz
    Im going with the rear for strength. The lighter rear would probably be easier to accelerate but the rear also has to take the torque from your pedals. The rear wheel sees greater forces than the front. It honestly probably does not matter in my case since im not a heavy guy.

I got my wheels today (took 9 days from China to Cali). They look great and are super stiff. They are replaicing some 819's that come in at 475 grams a rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Generally speaking, the rear wheel will be subjected to much higher forces than the front one account of the rider's weight having a rearward bias and the force of the chain being as well the brake being applied. Riding sat down exacerbates this as your arms will naturally compensate for the front wheel, but your rear wheel will take the full force of your body weight.

In practice, it doesn't matter on mtbs as rims tend to be overbuilt on purpose, even lightweight ones. But look at road bikes and quite often the rear wheel has more spokes and a beefier rim to cope with the extra energy.
    MTb rims arent real bad like road runs can be but the rear does take quite a beating anyway so its still a good idea to run a stronger rim in the rear.

I would absolutely put the heavier rim in the rear for 3 very good reasons:
    1. If its stronger it will last longer and take less damage
    2. Lower unsprung weight in the front means your front tire maintains better contact with the ground and thus more grip, especially in bumpy turns. In the rear this is for most riders less important so front takes priority.
    3. You will notice the "lightness" more in the front in the steering.

And yeah, you're wrong about the accelerating thing...both wheels accelerate equally, they go the same speed unless you are doing a wheelie or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I got mine!

Mine arrived a couple weeks ago, but I finally got a chance to seriously look at them tonight (I have been too busy riding). They look good! One weighs 374g and the other is 384g.

I measured the ERD at 540mm using the method explained on the wheelpro.co.uk site.

mtbr member
    Built my wheelset up last night. Specs below.

CK Hubs (20mm/135x12mm)
    DT Supercomp Spokes / DT Nipples
    Front 800g Rear 930g (1730g)
    Weight includes valve and Rhythm Strip

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In the name of testing, I rode one of my favourite trails today.

The climb crests one of the summits and then descends into this rocky, shark fin mess. Most of the trails around here have some element of these rocks so I was very interested to see how well they would hold up.

No issues, as of yet. I have burped my Flows on this section a few times and was expecting to do the same again but no sealant down the sidewall.
    Ended up with more scratches again from the rocks bouncing up but no rim would be immune from that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-002-1024x576-.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-004-1024x576-.jpg  

mtbr member

My set of 26" wider CF Light Bicycle brand wheels.

I finally got my wheels at the end of last month and had them laced up at my LBS. Went with the 2011 American Classic Dins 32 spoke hubbs, D Swiss Champion double butted black spokes with red ano nipples, Stan' No Tubes yellow rim tape and valve stems, Specialized Purgatory 2.2 S-Works in the front an a 2.0 Purgatory Control for the rear. The wheelset came in at 1500G on the dot with skewers valve stems and rim tape minus the tires and sealant. So far the ride quality is pretty good and I have droped almost 3lbs from this wheel and tire combination. I corner better and have much better acceleration and have greatly inproved my milage average. 10 mph per 20 miles with 2300 ft of climbing to 11.3 mph for the same course. I am a larger rider (240 lbs with full gear) but haven't noticed much if any wheel flex because I went with a 3 cross spoke lacing pattern and the spokes are 2.0-1.8mm which makes for a very strong set of wheels.

mtbr member
    My wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dabe View Post

I measured the ERD at 540mm using the method explained on the wheelpro.co.uk site.
    Hmm I just measured my new wider rims and both came out at 535mm ERD. Have you built yours up yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The ERD if the 26" wider rims is in fact 535.

mtbr member
    Has anyone bought a wheelset from light bikes yet? I just got a very good quote from them for a set of the AM rims, with Novatec hubs, Pillar bladed spokes and nips. $548 ($626 shipped). Weight would be about 1580g, which is stellar. Seems like it's hard to go wrong at that price although I'm still hesitant due to being unsure about the hubs, and unknown quality of wheel build. So if anyone can chime in about the quality of these two issues, it would be appreciated.

meh
    i bought a set of 26" rims to build myself, and recently got a set of prebuilt 29" wheels

Id recommend the novatec 881/882 as they are convertible. they are rebranded by others as their own (Ibis for instance uses them) and are decent. they arent bling, and arent in the same ballpark as hadley/ck/etc, but should be adequate. if you dont have a thru axle frame or fork, get the 9/10mm thru bolt versions instead of QR

The build is not that great (at least mine werent), i would recommend checking them over (or taking them to someone who can). my tensions were a bit out of whack, and i had to retension them. Also, the ds rear spokes were about 2mm too long and nds were about 1-2mm too short.

that said, so far they are holding up fine after around 2-300 miles on a rigid ss with my 200lbs on them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNug View Post
    Hmm I just measured my new wider rims and both came out at 535mm ERD. Have you built yours up yet?
    Mine came out to be 540.4 and 540.5 mm

meh
    mine were 536 (same as listed by LB), received about 3 months ago...when did you guys in the 540's get yours?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    mine were 536 (same as listed by LB), received about 3 months ago...when did you guys in the 540's get yours?
    Just received mine yesterday. I'm going to remeasure using a different method
    Last edited by PainkillerSPE; 08-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Any tricks to getting the bead to seat with the bontrager rhythm strips? I'm having the toughest time ever!

Paper or plastic?
    Any tricks to getting the bead to seat with the bontrager rhythm strips? I'm having the toughest time ever!
    Air compressor, lost of sealant...
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

meh
    my schwalbe's popped on with a floor pump, no sealant, and no soapy water extremely easily on the rhythm strips
    ive found schwalbes to be the easiest to seat tubelessly though

try running the tires (if new) with a tube in there for a bit to get the beads more uniform after unpackaging
    Last edited by clewttu; 08-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Air compressor, lost of sealant...
    Yup..had to use a air compressor to seat Maxxis tires.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I found a problem with the rhythm strip being too loose and not fitting into the bead channels properly. Ditching the rhythm strips and going with what I know, yellow tape.
    FWIW there was one portion of the bead that WOULD NOT pop no matter what I tried. Tons of soap + 45 PSI and nothing.
    Hopefully the yellow tape makes things easier. After wrestling with 1 wheel for 2 hours I'm ready for a beer

meh
    someone else (i think in this thread, maybe the 29er one) had this problem early on as well iirc

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6