Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    WOW those look great!
    Bend, Oregon

Paper or plastic?
    Yeah, my first reaction was "dang, those rims are ginormous".
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They look great indeed. Makes me wish I had ordered this outlook instead of UD matte. Maybe this final outer layer adds a couple of grams compared to UD.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Pic10 - 378 grams. Almost 40 grams heavier than what the spec says. Good enough for me though, much lighter than the rims I am using now. (Oh, Check that. The website now says 370g +/-10g. That's about right).

Oh, and they charged me $130ea plus $50 shipping. Not the listed $140/piece.
    those look nice, good pics

actually, they are listed at 370g+/-10g, so i'd say thats pretty good...you are thinking of the narrow rims, which it sounds like you paid for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    those look nice, good pics

actually, they are listed at 370g+/-10g, so i'd say thats pretty good...you are thinking of the narrow rims, which it sounds like you paid for
    Yes, that's right. I certainly ordered via the "wide" "Buy It Now" and they charged me the $130/ea. And yes, I definitely received the Wide rims. Weight is pretty much on the mark.

mtbr member
    Just placed my order for UD 32h rims only. Hopefully it'll be much faster than the road rims I ordered from them.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    I'm really hoping my 3k's come looking like that last picture. Looks like they set up the UD base, then wrapped the whole thing in 3k, which would be a lot stronger, IMO.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great pics, measurements, and weight. Thanks for the info! I am very tempted to order a set. gosh it is hard to take a risk on an all mountain set up. I'll be realy curious what you think of the build and such. Thanks for sharing!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What would be the benefit of going with the wide version of the rim versus the narrow? Anyone know what the minimum tire size is for the wide rim?

Looking at these for XC and endurance races

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How much lighter & narrower (internal width) are the lighter XC rims compared to these AM rims? I emailed Nancy a few days ago, no word. Makes it hard to decide which one I want :-)

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've just had a UD matte come in at 374g. Mine has fairly obvious manufacturing marks, and one sections where someone has clearly just filed down excess material around the bead hook. Also, I suspect that the uniform surface of the UD just shows imperfections more clearly than the cross weave. Still, I am happy to experiment with it for what it cost.

I'll try get some photos up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    What would be the benefit of going with the wide version of the rim versus the narrow? Anyone know what the minimum tire size is for the wide rim?

Looking at these for XC and endurance races
    Pinkbike Tech Tuesday Wider Rims Are Better and Why Tubeless Tires Burp Air
    Tech Tuesday

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    Pinkbike Tech Tuesday Wider Rims Are Better and Why Tubeless Tires Burp Air
    Tech Tuesday
    So would a wide rim still be able to handle a 1.9 to 2.3 tires?

Has anyone tried out their road rims as well?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    How much lighter & narrower (internal width) are the lighter XC rims compared to these AM rims? I emailed Nancy a few days ago, no word. Makes it hard to decide which one I want :-)
    states on the website 370g +/-10 for the wide and 330 +/-10 for the narrow
    page 1 of this thread has the internal widths of both
    nancy has been getting back to me within a few hours for my last few emails, but chat is even better when they are at work

mtbr member
    It sounds like buyers are just starting to receive first shipments of the wider all mountain rims. Please post your experiences running tubeless. I am very interested in ordering a set but am waiting to hear of tubeless experiences. Thanks Much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I've just had a UD matte come in at 374g. Mine has fairly obvious manufacturing marks, and one sections where someone has clearly just filed down excess material around the bead hook. Also, I suspect that the uniform surface of the UD just shows imperfections more clearly than the cross weave. Still, I am happy to experiment with it for what it cost.

I'll try get some photos up tomorrow.
    I just got my rims today too! I got the UD version, and there are definitely marks where someone just cut and filed down the excess resin. The bond joints are very visible, and to advertise these rims to have a UST profile is pretty sketchy in my opinion.

On the outside, the finish look pretty good, and the rims feel really light. I'd say 370 - 380 grams is about right. I dropped them off at the LBS, so they should be built up soon.

The rim bed tapers away from the rim wall, therefore, I think these will burp pretty easily without support below.

What is everyone's plan for tubeless? Yellow tape or the Bontrager Rhythm strip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    So would a wide rim still be able to handle a 1.9 to 2.3 tires?

Has anyone tried out their road rims as well?
    I wouldn't run a 1.9" tire on a 23mm wide rim. I'd try to shoot for 2.2" at least

This rim can probably handle up to 3" wide tire since it's internal width is identical to the Mavic 823.

This rim is WIDE. In comparision, the DT 5.1d is 21mm wide, and Mavic 819 is 19mm, and most XC rims are 17-20mm wide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any tubeless successes or failure that folks may have, please post them up. I am really on the fence about these rims, the tipping point is absolutely in the reviews about tubeless compatibility.

They say you can only have two...light, cheap, strong

I hope these are strong, they already have light and cheap. By strong I mean at least like a 550 gram aluminum rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    I just got my rims today too! I got the UD version, and there are definitely marks where someone just cut and filed down the excess resin. The bond joints are very visible, and to advertise these rims to have a UST profile is pretty sketchy in my opinion.

On the outside, the finish look pretty good, and the rims feel really light. I'd say 370 - 380 grams is about right. I dropped them off at the LBS, so they should be built up soon.

The rim bed tapers away from the rim wall, therefore, I think these will burp pretty easily without support below.

What is everyone's plan for tubeless? Yellow tape or the Bontrager Rhythm strip?
    You can easily see the filing and the bond joints on ENVE rims as well. I just hope these rims are as successful with tubeless like their 29er version.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    You can easily see the filing and the bond joints on ENVE rims as well. I just hope these rims are as successful with tubeless like their 29er version.
    This is different. I have a few sets of carbon road wheelsets, and they are finished MUCH nicer.

For the $$, I have no complaints. Just wanted to mentioned the "imperfections" I see.

What do you think about the UST groove? I'd feel pretty nervous with the rim beds that tapers away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hmmmm...these are tempting,

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Man, those are freakn sweet yo.

meh
    29er forum guys are having good results with yellow tape and the same rim profile, fwiw

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D View Post
    Any tubeless successes or failure that folks may have, please post them up. I am really on the fence about these rims, the tipping point is absolutely in the reviews about tubeless compatibility.

They say you can only have two...light, cheap, strong

I hope these are strong, they already have light and cheap. By strong I mean at least like a 550 gram aluminum rim.
    Totally agree. Tubeless function, propensity to burp or not, will make or break these rims in my book

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Paper or plastic?
    I ordered some Flow rimstrips. I'll take the weight penalty to ensure a tighter seal over the yellow tape.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast