Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1593
    yet another stupid german
    compensating spoke length via nipple length is a no-go (imho)...
    the rims true up very nicely and will "give", just not like an alloy rim. mine were nice out of the box and ended up at under +/- 0,2mm with 24 spokes.

yepp, they're drilled straight with no offset. thats why I laced mine up with straight-pull spokes/hubs because they enter at almost a right angle. drilled for presta.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You can always ask them to drill at an angle. If your spokes are too long, it's ok aslong as you have enough thread to work with and they don't hit the inside of the rim or penetrate the rim tape.

banned
    Sep 2012
    This is Peter from Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd

We have M623C carbon 26er tubeless rims available, the weight is about 320g/piece with good quality, we can drill rims with any holes you want. We use titanium wire to strength the rims.

IP-M623C carbon fiber super light MTB 26er rims, carbon mtb 26er clincher rims-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

Email: peter@xmiplay.cn
    bella@xmiplay.cn
    bella-xmiplay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-geometry-26er-rim.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-rm623c-2.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_2528.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_2525.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_2509.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Too narrow, these rims need to be much wider.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Too narrow, these rims need to be much wider.
    They are similar to XC rims, can be assembled with both narrow and wide tires. They are stiff and the weight is super light. If it is wider then the weight must be heavier. Anyway many guys used and felt great with them.

I just want to let more guys know our rims.

Thanks a lot!

Huckin' trails

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on a quote from Nancy on the rims only plus hubs to decide if I'm either getting a full wheelset or to build myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    You can always ask them to drill at an angle.
    You think they would do it ? If so, why haven't they be doing it already ? I'll ask them, good idea

Also, am I the only one to feel like they are ripping us off with the shipping charges ? I know it's not free to ship a wheelset across the planet, but to start at $29 for the first 500gr and then only $7 more for 500g extra doesn't make much sense to me. Even more when the box weights 1kg and the rim only 400g... It's like paying $36 to get a cardboard box shipped to you and then $14 for two rims inside it.

My only guess is that they either make their money on theses "extra" fees so they can keep their product prices low (which is good for us) or they are trying to get every single penny they can out of this (which we can't really blame them, they don't force us to buy their stuff, they are just a business).

Regarding the new manufacturing process for the rims, I noticed that only the new DH rims are included for their 26" product line, while the 29" and 650b are all going with the new process. I'm not very aware of their sales numbers, but my guess would be they are selling much more of the 29" and 650b rims then the wider AM 26" rims, and I also see their prices going up every other season. I remember at first their normal XC 26" rim was only $135, now $145. Then the new DH rim is $178. If they hit the $200 mark, I'd like to actually see some improvements regarding manufacturing process, like standard angled drilled spoke holes or re-enforced spokes holes eyelets, even molded ones (pretty much everyone uses 32h on DH wheels, no ?) maybe constant ERD specs that you can trust too.

I remembered one guy here saying his company went over there in China trying to import and distribute these rims in the US, but had issues with LB. I would be curious to see if a company selling from the US could offer sub-$700 carbon wheelsets over the counter before Roval does a value carbon wheelset too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I do believe their shipping costs are a bit high. They do go EMS apparently which is a bit pricey to get something in 4 days from China. Still far cheaper than paying absurd tax levels on a $1000 set. I'll be interested to see how the DH rims hold up.

One thing I have noticed thus far is how responsive Nancy/Caroline were before placing my order, but now that I've placed it they don't answer my emails (particularly about angled drilling). Just an observation. Looking fwd to playing with these wheels tho.

bike rider
    Shipping cost includes customs tax.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    they should do a 650b rim in the new dh rim profile, or deeper than the current anyway

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by peterque View Post
    They are similar to XC rims, can be assembled with both narrow and wide tires. They are stiff and the weight is super light. If it is wider then the weight must be heavier. Anyway many guys used and felt great with them.

I just want to let more guys know our rims.

Thanks a lot!
    I'd be fine with more weight and a wider rim. 23 mm internal width would be my desired width.

Tubeless ready profile is a must also.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Shipping cost includes customs tax.
    Let me be absolutely clear about this....I have done much research on this. The shipping DOES NOT include US Customs Tax...otherwise known as duty. What they are doing is under invoicing without your permission. If they place a value under $200, it will not raise any flags and there is no duty. However, if Customs finds out....you will be in a whole heap of trouble because the penalties are very high.....You will basically have to leave the rims with them because it will cost too much to get them back....Check the US Customs website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Let me be absolutely clear about this....I have done much research on this. The shipping DOES NOT include US Customs Tax...otherwise known as duty. What they are doing is under invoicing without your permission. If they place a value under $200, it will not raise any flags and there is no duty. However, if Customs finds out....you will be in a whole heap of trouble because the penalties are very high.....You will basically have to leave the rims with them because it will cost too much to get them back....Check the US Customs website.
    Calm down =). We have never instructed LB to do anything re: customs paperwork. At least I never have. Never told them to undervalue, or do "gift" stuff. LB places the value of their products on their paperwork, I do not. Regardless, I'm not concerned. Even though the NSA is reading this thread as their top priority.

Nancy did respond saying they don't drill at an angle usually. I'd be hesitant to ask for them to do so unless they know what they're doing. Especially with a carbon rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Calm down =). We have never instructed LB to do anything re: customs paperwork. At least I never have. Never told them to undervalue, or do "gift" stuff. LB places the value of their products on their paperwork, I do not. Regardless, I'm not concerned. Even though the NSA is reading this thread as their top priority.

Nancy did respond saying they don't drill at an angle usually. I'd be hesitant to ask for them to do so unless they know what they're doing. Especially with a carbon rim.
    But my friend...that is the exact point I have been trying to make. You don't ask them to do it and yet they do. If you would take the time and effort to check out the US Customs website you will clearly see that they say that it is not the Exporters responsibility, the Importer will ALWAYS be responsible and charged. Their reasoning for this is that you know what you paid for it and clearly see what value is being placed on the commodity. You are responsible to contact US Customs to inform them....You and everyone will be concerned when your shipment get's confiscated and you lose rims. According to a Road Bike Review thread...they already are aware and monitoring it....

mtbr member
    I remembered one guy here saying his company went over there in China trying to import and distribute these rims in the US, but had issues with LB. I would be curious to see if a company selling from the US could offer sub-$700 carbon wheelsets over the counter before Roval does a value carbon wheelset too.[/QUOTE]

I can answer this because it was my company.....Yes, it can be done....However....

It is going to cost you close to $100K for the first shipment. That is the only way to make the numbers work. You will be dealing with a company that has never exported in quantity and does not hold an Export Licence. You will also be dealing with a company that has posted an address on their website that does not exist. Those of you that have ordered from them and still have the mailing address label...do a Google earth search and it will show an apartment building. If they are taking so long to produce one set of carbon rims for you, how long are they going to take to manufacture 400 pairs for your first shipment ?? What will the quality be because they are pushing them out the door as fast as possible?? What happens to their web based customers?? As their US distributor, what happens if anything goes wrong and there is a lawsuit ?? You can't even find them and they are a trading company, not the manufacturer....Good Luck.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Also, am I the only one to feel like they are ripping us off with the shipping charges ? I know it's not free to ship a wheelset across the planet, but to start at $29 for the first 500gr and then only $7 more for 500g extra doesn't make much sense to me. Even more when the box weights 1kg and the rim only 400g... It's like paying $36 to get a cardboard box shipped to you and then $14 for two rims inside it.

See, In your own American world where you get free shipping within U.S.A. from the likes of Jenson etc you really lose out on the notion of shipping expenses.

I live in Vancouver BC - 30 minutes north of the border. For me to order something from Jenson, like a seat collar for example, they ding me $17 shipping.

So Boo Hoo if light bicycles charges $20 so ship a set of wheels across the bloody ocean. not an unreasonable cost at all.

That being said, Chain Reaction ships globally free (over X amount of dollars of course).

bike rider
    I plan to use dental floss. Just make a knot big enough at one end to prevent the nipple from falling off.
    Spokes won't get here till tomorrow but I wanted to get the nipples in tonight. Fishing line was being too flexy so tried shift cable and it worked perfectly. The whole process went quicker than I expected and I threaded some spare spokes into the nipples to keep them in place till final lacing. The only hitch was there were still a couple pieces of the bladder in one rim that had to be pulled out before the nipple could slide into place. You definitely want a narrow pair of tweezers that can reach through a nipple hole if you have to pull any bladder bits out.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    See, In your own American world where you get free shipping within U.S.A. from the likes of Jenson etc you really lose out on the notion of shipping expenses.

I live in Vancouver BC - 30 minutes north of the border. For me to order something from Jenson, like a seat collar for example, they ding me $17 shipping.

So Boo Hoo if light bicycles charges $20 so ship a set of wheels across the bloody ocean. not an unreasonable cost at all.

That being said, Chain Reaction ships globally free (over X amount of dollars of course).
    Oh, I live in Montreal, QC, but spending my summer in the USA at the beach. Most of my stuff is delivered here or to a friend in VT. Since I work at a bike shop while in the US, I get good deals right from the distributor, but you pay premium shipping every time.

Was I was trying to explain is with their shipping table rate, you pay more shipping for the packaging than you do for the product itself. And why does it starts at $29 for the first 500g while any extra 500g is only $7 more ?? Anyway, not much you can do about it.

Nancy just told me they only have silver brass nipples, no black or other colors. I'll ask her if there's a way to get black brass nipples for my wheelers, otherwise I'll get it build with black and gold alloy nipples and perhaps re-lace them myself with my selection of brass nipples. I've heard many things about galvanic corrosion with the alloy nipples so that why I wanted to get all brass, since I live in mostly wet and humid environment and ride winter too. Perhaps I can ride them with the alloy until it starts to show some corrosion sign ? Maybe it won't corrode at all and all be good ?
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Oh, I live in Montreal, QC, but spending my summer in the USA at the beach. Most of my stuff is delivered here or to a friend in VT. Since I work at a bike shop while in the US, I get good deals right from the distributor, but you pay premium shipping every time.

Was I was trying to explain is with their shipping table rate, you pay more shipping for the packaging than you do for the product itself. And why does it starts at $29 for the first 500g while any extra 500g is only $7 more ?? Anyway, not much you can do about it.

Nancy just told me they only have silver brass nipples, no black or other colors. I'll ask her if there's a way to get black brass nipples for my wheelers, otherwise I'll get it build with black and gold alloy nipples and perhaps re-lace them myself with my selection of brass nipples. I've heard many things about galvanic corrosion with the alloy nipples so that why I wanted to get all brass, since I live in mostly wet and humid environment and ride winter too. Perhaps I can ride them with the alloy until it starts to show some corrosion sign ? Maybe it won't corrode at all and all be good ?
    I hear you with the galvanic corrosion concerns - I am 99.9% sure I would insist on brass nipples just to be on the safe side. Unless you are willing to frequently inspect / replace at the first signs of problems.

Huckin' trails

Well I'll most likely get about 30 rides on these over the next year, and nothing really muddy or wet, and I keep my stuff clean. I found some gold brass nipples on eBay, not too expensive, so I know I can always re-built them myself.

Someone mentioned in the Enve corrosion thread that hard anodized alloy nipples could perform as well as the brass ones, but that no extensive testing have been done yet on these. And also some marine grease or specially made stuff for galvanic corrosion exists and have been mentioned too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Spokes won't get here till tomorrow but I wanted to get the nipples in tonight. Fishing line was being too flexy so tried shift cable and it worked perfectly. The whole process went quicker than I expected and I threaded some spare spokes into the nipples to keep them in place till final lacing. The only hitch was there were still a couple pieces of the bladder in one rim that had to be pulled out before the nipple could slide into place. You definitely want a narrow pair of tweezers that can reach through a nipple hole if you have to pull any bladder bits out.
    Mind if I ask what size/type nipples you went with? I'm assuming a good quality 12mm brass nipple would suffice for a carbon rim.

bike rider
    Mind if I ask what size/type nipples you went with? I'm assuming a good quality 12mm brass nipple would suffice for a carbon rim.
    DT Swiss 12mm alloy nipples. The anodizing prevents corrosion. The problem nipples in Enve builds weren't anodized. The wheelset came to 1600g + 16g for valves, no tape needed. That's with the heavier build DH rim and DH hubs. Racing them this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ...alloy nipples. The anodizing prevents corrosion. The problem nipples in Enve builds weren't anodized...
    I am not a wheel builder nor did I ever lace carbon rims, so, this might be unrepresentative, but on the few wheels I did build myself - all of which with aluminium nipples - you won't find any nipple with a perfectly intact anodised layer where the nipple touches the rim/eyelet. To be honest, I doubt there is any way to keep the anodised layer of the nipple unscratched (in the process of tightening, that is)

Huckin' trails

DT Swiss 12mm alloy nipples. The anodizing prevents corrosion. The problem nipples in Enve builds weren't anodized. The wheelset came to 1600g + 16g for valves, no tape needed. That's with the heavier build DH rim and DH hubs. Racing them this weekend.
    Are you certain about that ? Or does it simply "works" most of the time ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had DT swiss alloy anodised nipples before on a set of wheels, after 1-2 seasons they started to show cracks. Never ever use alloy nipples, always brass imo.

bike rider
    I used alloy nips exclusively for my wheel builds for a decade and had two nips snap where the wrench flats meet the "mushroom". On both those wheels the spokes were borderline too short and ended right where the nipple snapped. Those were the only problems I ever had with alloy. However, I used brass nips for my first LB build for fear of either snapping alloys due to the higher than normal tension I was using or galvanic corrosion I'd heard about. When flipping the bike around to walk uphill I hit the wheel hard on the side, heard a snap, and saw that the threads pulled out of one brass nip so I mentioned this to the DT rep. He said that while brass is stronger, it's softer and more prone to that type of failure. He was confident that if sufficiently long spokes are used so they extend into the nipple's "mushroom" alloys would be plenty strong and problem free. LB uses alloy nips in their build and said they aren't aware of any problems that would necessitate the use of brass. So, based on both of their recommendations I switched back to alloy and none of my LB/alloy builds have had a problem. The spokes I use come with alloy nips so it's a hassle getting brass and they add something like 25g to each wheel so as long as alloy works I'll stick with it. I'll report back if one of the LB wheels I've built with alloys has problems.

Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast