Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    HA wow what is about the internet that makes people act like complete ****** bags like yourself?

Perhaps I miss spoke. Currently there are only a few ways to manufacture carbon components and they are shared across the industry. Each company may have a specific carbon layup that their engineers prefer but the carbon is all formed in the same way. Thats my point here. Unfortunately I can not post links yet or else i would add documentation
    Your right, there are only a couple of ways to make a carbon rim. However there are lots of different choices in resin, carbon and few different ways to tool the part. These are the things that distinguish one rim from another. Carbon is an extremely versatile material to work with and trying to judge durability of rims from different manufactures based on weight is just silly.

I'm not trying to be a Dbag but I don't have the time to educate somebody on the basics of composite manufacturing and design.

Boyeeee
    Got my rims today. To my untrained eye, they look pretty good. I did some quick measurements and came up with numbers identical to the diagram posted by clewttu. I checked overall height, outer width, and distance from lip to lip. I'm not equipped to check ERD.

They're getting laced to an old DT 240 rear hub and a new Chub 20mm front hub as soon as I can find a good local builder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ordered 4 rims about 12 days ago and was told there would be a 4 week wait. Going to put two on my AM bike and maybe just a back wheel for the downhill bike first and see how it fares.

I've asked for the "dh" ones to be as overbuilt as possible. Should be interesting!

mtbr member
    From Nancy this morning:

The heavier rims need to be tested first, we will make 2rims first, then build them into wheels and drop them from the 5th floor.
    Then find if the strength is good or not. If the strength is not good, we can not ship them until we improve it.

Thanks,
    Nancy

meh
    lmao

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by pmanfred View Post
    From Nancy this morning:

The heavier rims need to be tested first, we will make 2rims first, then build them into wheels and drop them from the 5th floor.
    Then find if the strength is good or not. If the strength is not good, we can not ship them until we improve it.

Thanks,
    Nancy
    Josh Bender approves.
    Check my Site

Huckin' trails
    I hope they don't use the same QC methods as they do for testing.

I though they used the Santa Cruz method of smashing them against a concrete wall instead
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by pmanfred View Post
    From Nancy this morning:

Thanks,
    Nancy
    Hahaha!

you got to love the honesty in the way they test! But I think its effective.

Committed
    My set of hoops showed up a couple days back. Based on a purely visual inspection, I am impressed. Came in right about 350 grams each. Can't wait to build them up and give them a proper beating.
    Will report back with more info as it comes to light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-lb-wide-rims-1.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-lb-wide-rims-2.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-lb-wide-rims-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They certainly look pretty good. I am excited to hear riding results in the coming weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    My set of hoops showed up a couple days back. Based on a purely visual inspection, I am impressed. Came in right about 350 grams each. Can't wait to build them up and give them a proper beating.
    Will report back with more info as it comes to light.
    those look great 1sr. you've also got a set of Enve wheels, right? will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the two compare. keep us posted.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    those look great 1sr. you've also got a set of Enve wheels, right? will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the two compare. keep us posted.
    For sure. I am really interested to see how they compare given the huge price difference between the two.

The Enve are definitely beefier, but are they overkill for am trail riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are 3 finishes 3K, 12k and UD
    Matt and glossy

Which is better, in term like strength and maintenance ?

Cheers

Puro Vida!
    So what do you select for weave? Also how do I choose hole pattern? Im planning on putting these on a Mach 5.7 and Im heavy rider. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksley View Post
    There are 3 finishes 3K, 12k and UD
    Matt and glossy

Which is better, in term like strength and maintenance ?
    Normally the finish layer is just a cosmetic layer, so it'll have negligible impact on strength. Glossy CF finishes are easier to maintain than matt. With a gloss finish its much easier to repair the gloss coat if its get gouged or scratched etc. It also hides the scratches and nicks better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm thinking to get UD weave with Glossy finish ... Btw Do I have to worry about UV harming the carbon rim ?

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksley View Post
    I'm thinking to get UD weave with Glossy finish ... Btw Do I have to worry about UV harming the carbon rim ?
    You can't be serious?!!!? Worry about the wind exploding them, not UV rays...
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 06-26-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If they're not clear coated, UV will wreck them.The epoxy will eventually break down. The epoxy doesn't have any Uv blockers as it is always clear coated ,painted or gel coated. The satin finish should be a clear coat as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just ordered a discounted set of 26in carbon rims with hubs off of ebay - couldn't resist the great price (155 GBP Posted) They are 20/24H disc wheels. Just wondering if anyone else here has had any experience building these up. The seller is e_baygoods

Novatech D041SB ,D042SB Hubs
    Holes: 20, 24
    Flange To Flange : front 62mm , rear 58.4mm
    P.C.D. : 58mm
    And the rim ERD is 534.5mm

Planning to use some DT Aero Speed spokes as I believe i already have some in the right size. However the spoke calculator is giving me totally different values to what the Chinese folks say i need :/
    Any one have any experience with these particular wheels?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi guys, for people expecting to get rims I got this message on June 08: "So far, we have shipped out 8pcs 26er rims to customers, they are 3K Matte 32H. Your UD Matte 32H rims might needs a couple of days of manufacturing, as we manufacture rims as the same batch, the next batch would be UD Matte 32H. If they come out, you are the first one we ship rims to."

I got my tracking number on June 22. So I think they are on the UD Matte 32H batch now. I ordered the rims on March 25. People ordeing today will not have to wait that long! I will post pictures and do a comparison to the Flow rims I have right now. The setup will be DT 350 hubs CX-ray spokes and and DT Proloc nipples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got my rims yesterday so shipping took 7 days. They came in at 353gr vs 370 spec'd which is a nice bonus since I'm more Trail than AM. The complete wheelset should come at 1430gr vs 1665 with the Flows.
    Last edited by trek551; 06-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trek551 View Post
    I got my rims yesterday so shipping took 7 days. They came in at 353gr vs 370 spec'd which is a nice bonus since I more Trail than AM. The complete wheelset should come at 1430gr vs 1665 with the Flows.
    Wow, that is a bonus. My "Version 1" came in at 378 g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My UD Matte 32h was just released from customs...should be early next week!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just got mine in today..came out at 357g and 367g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ERD measured out exactly at 536 on both rims.

Waiting on some CX-Rays to come in then I will lace them to a set of CK hubs that I've had on the shelf for some months now!

beer is good
    I got some last week and they were 341 and 350 grams and look perfect!
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Boyeeee
    Finally had time to bring they rims and hubs in to the bike shop last week to get the built up. Unfortunately, the tech found a crack in the rear hub shell.

DT Swiss was good enough to offer me a crash replacement on my 10 year old Hugi 240. Hopefully the wheels are built up next week.

Great service from DT Swiss and the LBS (Bike Empire in Poway, CA). I'll have to bring in a 6-pack for the tech when I pick up the finished wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur View Post
    Finally had time to bring they rims and hubs in to the bike shop last week to get the built up. Unfortunately, the tech found a crack in the rear hub shell.

DT Swiss was good enough to offer me a crash replacement on my 10 year old Hugi 240. Hopefully the wheels are built up next week.

Great service from DT Swiss and the LBS (Bike Empire in Poway, CA). I'll have to bring in a 6-pack for the tech when I pick up the finished wheels.
    when you say 'crash replacement', was it free or reduced price? Those rear Hugi 240 hubs had a design flaw - plenty of people (including me) ended up cracking them. I am really surprised that yours lasted this long. Given the solid reputation of Dt Swiss, I'd be expecting them to replace it for free, despite the time lapse.

Boyeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    when you say 'crash replacement', was it free or reduced price? Those rear Hugi 240 hubs had a design flaw - plenty of people (including me) ended up cracking them. I am really surprised that yours lasted this long. Given the solid reputation of Dt Swiss, I'd be expecting them to replace it for free, despite the time lapse.
    For a fee. I got ten years of hard riding out of that hub and I broke it. I can't complain.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I'm looking for a good spoke to go with on these rims paired with some Hope Pro 2 evos thats not gonna totally break the bank like CX Rays...any ideas? I want to build a strong wheelset (got the beefier version of rims) and plan to see what these rims can handle.

Thanks
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    I'm looking for a good spoke to go with on these rims paired with some Hope Pro 2 evos thats not gonna totally break the bank like CX Rays...any ideas? I want to build a strong wheelset (got the beefier version of rims) and plan to see what these rims can handle.

Thanks
    How much did the beefier version end up weighing?

DT swiss aerolites are great spokes btw.

Dirt Bike Craig
    How much did the beefier version end up weighing?

DT swiss aerolites are great spokes btw.
    I havent received them yet but was estimated at 400g. Looking for a good cost/strength/weight ratio on the spokes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I havent received them yet but was estimated at 400g. Looking for a good cost/strength/weight ratio
    Can you post how much they weigh once you receive them? I am curious what the final production weight will be on these beefier ones.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Can you post how much they weigh once you receive them? I am curious what the final production weight will be on these beefier ones.
    Sure. They say that they'll ship them within 2 weeks so I'm just crossing my fingers they don't get pushed back. I'm building up a new bike and hope to have it finished by the end of August. Still waiting on the frame as well lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just purchased a set of 32 hole UD. Going to lace them to hope pro 2 evo hubs. What size spokes did you guys use for your build?

Dirt Bike Craig
    Does anyone have a total time from notification of shipment to the time they received the rims? I'm worried I may have to cancel my order due to time constraints

mtbr member
    About 4-5 days for CA, longer if east. Prob 7 days if easy coast.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nancy just told me that the wait time UD rims is currently 20 days btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bump

Any more building or riding feedback on the latest batch?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    Bump

Any more building or riding feedback on the latest batch?
    I will compare them to my Flows I had previously.

Building:The rim is stiffer.Tension in the spokes is brought up much quicker. They are easier to true. They are gentler on the nipples pretty much like rims with eyelets. I have the same spokes so ERD is a match.

Inflating tires: The raised portion of the beads is further away from the center channel which I think would lead to a harder time inflating tubeless with a floor pump but I did not try. Seating the bead stretches the tire more. To be cautious I deflated , used soap but still pumped more air to pop the beads for a tubed and tubeless mounting.

Riding: Flows stiffness (even more) + width at Crests (353gr)weight? What more can I say?They are very addicting. They are on my 2011 Trance X1. Yesterday I did a race on my Blur XCc with Ztr Race wheels and it was not fun at all! I will have to change the fork to a 15mm axle and lace a pair of 650b Carbon rims from the same place during the winter to bring back the fun on the Blur.
    Last edited by trek551; 07-13-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Boyeeee
    Are you running tubeless? Rim strip or just yellow tape?

Building:The rim is stiffer.Tension in the spokes is brought up much quicker. They are easier to true. They are gentler on the nipples pretty much like rims with eyelets. I have the same spokes so ERD is a match.

Inflating tires: The raised portion of the beads is further away from the center channel which I think would lead to a harder time inflating tubeless with a floor pump but I did not try. Seating the bead stretches the tire more. To be cautious I deflated , used soap but still pumped more air to pop the beads for a tubed and tubeless mounting.

Riding: Flows stiffness (even more) + width at Crests (353gr)weight? What more can I say?They are very addicting. They are on my 2011 Trance X1. Yesterday I did a race on my Blur XCc with Ztr Race wheels and it was not fun at all! I will have to change the fork to a 15mm axle and lace a pair of 650b Carbon rims from the same place during the winter to bring back the fun on the Blur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Front is tubed for now. Rear is Tubeless with yellow tape with a Racing Ralph 2.4 TR + Stans juice. I just got my pair of Nobby Nic 2.35 TR so front will be tubeless too. I will post how well it seated.

I used the same 25mm tape as for the Flows.

R.I.P. DogFriend

I'm building up a set of 29" and have a few questions:

Did you use anything different to lube the nipple/nipple seat interface when building these wheels?

Did you find anything else 'different' about building a wheelset with carbon rims?

And, is there a stated/published tension recommendation or limit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I'm building up a set of 29" and have a few questions:

Did you use anything different to lube the nipple/nipple seat interface when building these wheels?

Did you find anything else 'different' about building a wheelset with carbon rims?

And, is there a stated/published tension recommendation or limit.
    Disclaimer: I am not a professionnal wheelbuilder. I build my own wheels for fun the "Sheldon Brown way". I built wheels with Crest rims , Flows, and own Ztr Race wheels so I know how well theses rims seat a tire.

No lube as these rims are very gentle on nipples. I always used Proloc nipples.
    The tension goes up faster. Half turns become 1/4 turns for tension. The rim is so stiff that big variations in tension will be hidden as you will notice less out of true. Overall a much faster build and I believe more even tension than my previous builds.

Comments about the beads:

1) they show less tire than Flows (1st gen BST) about 1-2mm and a lot less than Crests (2nd gen BST) by 3-4mm. I don't plan to use anything less than a 2.25 tire so it's ok for me.

2) they don't seat as well as BST beads. The tire unseats when I deflate them. Not so on the Crests combined with regular bead tires. I used Flows tubeless at 10 -14 psi during winter on the snow with no issues.

3) My new 2.35 Nobby Nic seated at 42-44psi. I did not use soap but my Racing Ralph 2.4 seated at the same pressure. I usually seat tires at 30 psi with Flows or Crests.

The 2.35 have 57mm case width on theses rims. The 2.4 have 59mm.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by trek551; 07-14-2012 at 03:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just got a confirmation email that my rims have shipped. on June 8th, I was originally told by Brian that it would be 3weeks but ended up being 5weeks.

Hopefully, they don't get held up at Customs and I can possibly have them by the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Guys,
    I searched every page for a possible link to these Bontrager Rhythm strips that are being referred to and nothing. When searching via google shopping I get nothing relevant for "Bontrager Rhythm strip". I get Stan's notube stuff and obviously Bontrager Rim stuff.

None of the normal place I order from list it either. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

- Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonypete View Post
    Guys,
    I searched every page for a possible link to these Bontrager Rhythm strips that are being referred to and nothing. When searching via google shopping I get nothing relevant for "Bontrager Rhythm strip". I get Stan's notube stuff and obviously Bontrager Rim stuff.

None of the normal place I order from list it either. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

- Pete
    they are not available from online retailers, gotta get them from a trek dealer.

http://bontrager.com/model/02566

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

meh

mtbr member
    Finished lacing my new rear wheel yesterday!
    Hub: mtb252 48POE
    Rim: Light Bicycle wide 26" carbon
    Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite 264mm / 266mm
    Nipples: aluminium
    Total weight assembled: 735grams. + 1 layer Gorilla tape: 755 grams

Went for a short (50 minutes) ride after test ( my first time building a wheel ) after installing a latex tube, a Conti Race King 2.2 Protection ( my favorite tire ) and put back my 19t cog. Rode a classic rooty/rocky Quebec trail and just went like if I was riding my Evil Sovereign, not being cautious. Tons of fun!!! Now, I have to build my front wheel. Sub 1400gr wheelset that can take a (relative) beating ( I'm 135lbs) is pretty good!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks 'size and clewttu. Shall I go with symetrical or asymtrical? I seeguys in the 29er version of this thread getting asymetricl, but that does not compute in my head?!

- Pete

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Johnnydrz how was the tire fit(tightness) with gorilla tape and the race king?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by sonypete View Post
    Thanks 'size and clewttu. Shall I go with symetrical or asymtrical? I seeguys in the 29er version of this thread getting asymetricl, but that does not compute in my head?!

- Pete
    you want symmetrical, its what everyone is running

mtbr member
    I haven't set it up tubeless yet, I just had no time yesterday. But, with a latex tube, I had to soap up the bead for the tire to seat properly. Without soap, I stopped pumping at about 45psi. So I would think that it will probably be just fine when I go tubeless. Can't wait to go full tubeless with my SuperSonic Race Kings !!!

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention, I rode with about 23psi in my rear tire yesterday.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Just got word that my rims are on their way to me from China! Estimated time 4 days

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Finished lacing my new rear wheel yesterday!
    Hub: mtb252 48POE
    Total weight assembled: 735grams. + 1 layer Gorilla tape: 755 grams

Went for a short (50 minutes) ride after test ( my first time building a wheel ) after installing a latex tube, a Conti Race King 2.2 Protection ( my favorite tire ) and put back my 19t cog. Rode a classic rooty/rocky Quebec trail and just went like if I was riding my Evil Sovereign, not being cautious. Tons of fun!!! Now, I have to build my front wheel. Sub 1400gr wheelset that can take a (relative) beating ( I'm 135lbs) is pretty good!!!
    Hey, looks like you're in the same area as mine. I'll get back in Montreal after the summer, and I'd be very interested if we could meet up to check out those wheels. And perhaps go for a ride together
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Hey, looks like you're in the same area as mine. I'll get back in Montreal after the summer, and I'd be very interested if we could meet up to check out those wheels. And perhaps go for a ride together
    Sure!

I'll be somewhere in Colorado during September but back to my local trails in October!

Johnnydrz

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrdude1 View Post
    I'll post the ERD when I get them.
    I forgot, did you get the wide 29er rims? If so, what ERD did you come up with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So Bonty Rhythm tubeless symmetric is the correct item?

Has anybody tried using just plain ol' gorilla tape like Enve does?

mtbr member
    Finished lacing the front wheel yesterday
    Hub: mtb162
    Total weight assembled: 653grams. + 1 layer Gorilla tape: 673 grams

Both wheels total weight: 1388gr.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    So Bonty Rhythm tubeless symmetric is the correct item?

Has anybody tried using just plain ol' gorilla tape like Enve does?
    I would also like some confirmation on this. Should be getting mine at the end of the week and need to know if I should get the bontrager rhythm strips or what else to use.

meh
    In the 29er thread most people are using yellow tape or rhythm strips successfully, don't see why you couldn't get gorilla tape to work if that's what you want to do

Dirt Bike Craig
    It sounds like the rhythm strips give the most support to the bead for running tubeless, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think people are using the rhythm strip because the carbon rim does not have a true UST profile and by adding the rhythm rim strip it adds that small internal lip to help keep the bead seated. The weight of these rims in my opinion justifies using the rhythm rim strip because even by adding them they will still be as light or lighter than most XC race wheel sets. Plus you get a little added protection from the bead unseating if you run low PSI. I see that as a win win but true weight weenies might disagree.

mtbr member
    Why don’t you guys just use a 18" inner tube, (ghetto tubeless)
    After you cut the extra rubber from the sides, it don’t weight too much.
    and for the long term, it holds air better. and don burp at all.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I think people are using the rhythm strip because the carbon rim does not have a true UST profile and by adding the rhythm rim strip it adds that small internal lip to help keep the bead seated. The weight of these rims in my opinion justifies using the rhythm rim strip because even by adding them they will still be as light or lighter than most XC race wheel sets. Plus you get a little added protection from the bead unseating if you run low PSI. I see that as a win win but true weight weenies might disagree.
    Im not really a weight weenie and Id rather sacrifice a small amount of weight for reliability and support. I have never run below 29 psi on purpose & like to ride aggressively. Last thing I want to do is blow the bead off on a jump or turn. I'm definitely leaning toward the rhythm strip

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Im not really a weight weenie and Id rather sacrifice a small amount of weight for reliability and support. I have never run below 29 psi on purpose & like to ride aggressively. Last thing I want to do is blow the bead off on a jump or turn. I'm definitely leaning toward the rhythm strip
    You and I my friend are on the same page. Ive blown a bead at the bottom of a jump and its not so much fun. Granted I was running 2.35 kenda nevagals on mavic SLR's which is not advisable but nevertheless I think the weight penalty for the rhythm strip (and we are talking grams here not ounces) is a suitable sacrifice for the added performance.

meh
    agreed

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For those of you who have tried tracking your package, have you found the EMS site to be up to date?
    Got my confirmation but when I check the tracking, it still shows it in China.

I have learned that other shipping companies don't necessarily update the status accurately or live. I am just hoping to get them before I leave on a bike trip next week and like a kid at christmas, want my new toys asap.

Thanks

meh
    after a couple of days, it should hit customs, for US customers once it gets to San Francisco you can use the EMS tracking number on the USPS site for tracking after that (EMS only shows China for me as well)...not sure if you can do the same in Canada

Dirt Bike Craig
    Ours are most likely in the same package waiting to be separated stateside. Mine are still showing up in China also but I've heard shipping is pretty quick. Brian Xia estimated 4 days to me

meh
    I got my shipment confirmation email saturday morning for my second set, they are already here in town this morning, will prob be ready for pick up at the post office tomorrow (has to be signed for)

Dirt Bike Craig
    So they dont deliver them to the specified address?

meh
    They do, but if no one is there to sign, they wont just leave them
    they wouldnt even leave at my apartment office last time

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    after a couple of days, it should hit customs, for US customers once it gets to San Francisco you can use the EMS tracking number on the USPS site for tracking after that (EMS only shows China for me as well)...not sure if you can do the same in Canada

You are correct, sir. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I received a EMS tracking number as well EE.......CN, however it does not come up as valid on the EMS site. Any ideas? I received notice yesterday, so can I expect perhaps (4-7 days) delivery to Nevada before I hear from USPS, signature required?

meh
    try this link, the one they send in the email isnt correct (at least mine wasnt)
    both my sets have/will arrived in 4 days max once posted from China, it takes a day or 2 before you can track via usps but that will indicate much better when to expect them

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    no luck with that link either. Perhaps it is new in the system. Will try again tonight. The EMS number I was sent EE.. (plus 10 digits).. CN Does this sound right? Any ideas on the typical shipping time to West coast?

meh
    may not be in the system yet, my number is EE695589365CN

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    The EMS number I was sent EE.. (plus 10 digits).. CN Does this sound right?
    The last two digits normally belong to the Country of origin...

US - USA
    MX - Mexico
    DE - Deutschland
    CN - China

etc...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Has anybody ordered their 26" narrow mountain bike rims? the ones that weigh 330 grams? They seem to be very narrow at only 17.8 mm on the inner width? If any body has i was wondering how they are. and If you can give me any feedback. I want to order a set for my brother who does a lot of XC riding and think those would be a better choice. Please help, not sure if they are good or not?

Thanks

mtbr member
    You can put those tracking numbers in the normal USPS website.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I ordered yesterday a pair of 26" carbon rims (not the wide version) and today I got this ETA from Nancy:

I must tell that I never had such a quick reply and support from any online company in the past. Nancy is answering me in less than 10 minutes each time I'm sending. Now lets hope it will really be 8 days...
    did you get your narrow rims yet? I'm thinking of ordering some but want to know how you like then. I want them for my brother who mostly does XC type riding. Any input would be helpful? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    While I haven't followed this thread in its entirety, the posts I have read have been positive. Because of that, I turned my buddy onto these who received his a few weeks ago, and had them built up by his local shop. His first rides on them were this weekend, where he did 5 shuttled runs on what I would consider all-mountain trails (if you’re familiar with riding in Brianhead Utah, the trails were Blow-Hard, Bunker Creek, and Dark Hollow).

Upon cleaning his bike after riding, he found that both of his rims were cracked. His setup was using tubes, 35 psi front and rear tire pressure (kenda Excavator folding tires), 175 pounds fully geared up rider weight, 6” travel AM bike. I’d say he’s your typical AM rider who’s not afraid to ride technical sections, but definitely not at DH break-neck speeds.

Front rim:
    26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-front_carbon_rim.jpg

Rear rim:
    26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-rear_carbon_rim1.jpg

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-rear_carbon_rim2.jpg

I haven’t seen any other posts showing failures, but I thought I’d post his up for another data point. Seems like some people are riding these aggressively and having no issues. I have a set on order for myself, so I’ll be testing these as well, but I definitely ride more aggressively than my friend does, which has me somewhat worried.

After seeing this, I asked Nancy to build mine up in the “stronger” version, to which she tells me “not to worry”. My buddy is currently working with light-bicycles to see what they can do for a resolution. So far they seem to be willing to work with him. I’ll update with other posts as I know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    While I haven't followed this thread in its entirety, the posts I have read have been positive. Because of that, I turned my buddy onto these who received his a few weeks ago, and had them built up by his local shop. His first rides on them were this weekend, where he did 5 shuttled runs on what I would consider all-mountain trails (if you’re familiar with riding in Brianhead Utah, the trails were Blow-Hard, Bunker Creek, and Dark Hollow).

Upon cleaning his bike after riding, he found that both of his rims were cracked. His setup was using tubes, 35 psi front and rear tire pressure (kenda Excavator folding tires), 175 pounds fully geared up rider weight, 6” travel AM bike. I’d say he’s your typical AM rider who’s not afraid to ride technical sections, but definitely not at DH break-neck speeds.

Front rim:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_carbon_rim.jpg 
Views:	2359 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	711190

Rear rim:

Name:	rear_carbon_rim1.JPG 
Views:	1153 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	711191

Name:	rear_carbon_rim2.JPG 
Views:	2019 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	711192

I haven’t seen any other posts showing failures, but I thought I’d post his up for another data point. Seems like some people are riding these aggressively and having no issues. I have a set on order for myself, so I’ll be testing these as well, but I definitely ride more aggressively than my friend does, which has me somewhat worried.

After seeing this, I asked Nancy to build mine up in the “stronger” version, to which she tells me “not to worry”. My buddy is currently working with light-bicycles to see what they can do for a resolution. So far they seem to be willing to work with him. I’ll update with other posts as I know.
    Looks like an impact crack! was he running a low PSI?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Front rim:

Name:	front_carbon_rim.jpg 
Views:	2359 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	711190

Rear rim:

Name:	rear_carbon_rim1.JPG 
Views:	1153 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	711191

Name:	rear_carbon_rim2.JPG 
Views:	2019 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	711192

Please do keep us updated. Depending on how light bicycles handles his case will push me one way or the other on buying a set of these rims. I do plan on buying the "beefier" version though.

It wouldnt be that big of a deal if he had ridden these for a year or more b/c the price is so low, but only after one ride I have to admit I am eager to hear how this turns out.

Dab-O-Matic

Bonking ... not feelin' well

This causes a lot of concern for my riding as well. These are the first "catastrophic" riding failures (not over pressurized) I've seen posted here as well. Definately cause for concern, however these look to be direct hits that you would get in hitting something like a square edge rock ledge. I'm assuming he had NO pinch flats???

Huckin' trails
    I also feel like those are more a result of direct impact rather than fatigue. You also said he was doing AM riding, but shuttle trip or lift ? Sounds more like mini DH to me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbasa View Post
    Has anybody ordered their 26" narrow mountain bike rims? the ones that weigh 330 grams? They seem to be very narrow at only 17.8 mm on the inner width? If any body has i was wondering how they are. and If you can give me any feedback. I want to order a set for my brother who does a lot of XC riding and think those would be a better choice. Please help, not sure if they are good or not?

Thanks
    I ordered 2 of the XC version and the rear wheel is now built and have been used for around 250Km. So far, no problems! Weight was right on 330g. Inner width was 17.8mm for one rim and 17.5mm for the other. Finish was UD / Clear and looks ok. You can see the UD finish isn't perfect but as soon as there is some dust on it you can't really tell and frankly I don't care. I'm currently running it with tube and 25psi (I'm 145lbs) on my Anthem and really like it. I use a Race King SS 2.0 on it and would not be afraid to use a X-King 2.2 since it's as wide as my old Michelin XC Dry^2 that I tried on it without a single problem.

So to sum up, the rear wheel was pretty easy to build up and it's really stiff for the 28h wheel. A lot more stiff than my previous WTB Laser Disc XC and Crank Brother Cobalt XC wheelsets. I used Sapim Laser spokes and my old WTB Laserdisc Light hubs (upgraded with ceramic bearings) for the build.

The front wheel is under construction but not finished yet.

Unless your brother has the habit of hitting his rims everywhere he can, I would say these rims are great for the price you pay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Has anyone built the 26" version (wider rim) with I-9 straight pull spokes? the I-9 Xc rims and Stans Race/ 355 all have an ERD of about 541. I am wondering if the Carbon rim is true to the stated ERD of 536 and if this 5mm difference is too much to allow me to re-lace with my existing I9 straight pull spokes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbasa
    Looks like an impact crack! was he running a low PSI?
    Depends on your definition of "low". He was running 35 psi front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer
    Please do keep us updated. Depending on how light bicycles handles his case will push me one way or the other on buying a set of these rims. I do plan on buying the "beefier" version though.

It wouldnt be that big of a deal if he had ridden these for a year or more b/c the price is so low, but only after one ride I have to admit I am eager to hear how this turns out.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Simply just too short of a time (5 rides) for this to happen. Will post back when he gets an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind
    This causes a lot of concern for my riding as well. These are the first "catastrophic" riding failures (not over pressurized) I've seen posted here as well. Definately cause for concern, however these look to be direct hits that you would get in hitting something like a square edge rock ledge. I'm assuming he had NO pinch flats???
    I wouldn't call it catastrophic, as he rode out just fine. He didn't even notice the cracks until he was cleaning his bike. He had zero pinch flats while riding. The trails do have sections of rocky terrain with square edged rocks, that I'd easily say falls under the category of "all mountain" riding. Anyone else who's familiar with the trails can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by David C
    I also feel like those are more a result of direct impact rather than fatigue. You also said he was doing AM riding, but shuttle trip or lift ? Sounds more like mini DH to me.
    We shuttled to the top of each trail head. There's a lift resort nearby, but these are the local trails in the area, and not the ski resort. At 11,000' elevation, we opted for shuttling them by vehicles. Even with the shuttle, there are climbing sections throughout, just with net down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Has anyone built the 26" version (wider rim) with I-9 straight pull spokes? the I-9 Xc rims and Stans Race/ 355 all have an ERD of about 541. I am wondering if the Carbon rim is true to the stated ERD of 536 and if this 5mm difference is too much to allow me to re-lace with my existing I9 straight pull spokes?
    There was someone who built these rims onto i9 spokes/hubs, think they were the wide rims. It is probably in this thread. Have a look. They were coming from similar rims to you (maybe crests, same erd as the rims you have). Weirdly, the poster came up with an erd for the carbon rim to be much less than 536. Despite this, he still got the spokes wound in enough to work. See the photos though - I dunno how many threads on those spokes/hub are holding the wheel together. You'd hate to damage the threads on that hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    There was someone who built these rims onto i9 spokes/hubs, think they were the wide rims. It is probably in this thread. Have a look. They were coming from similar rims to you (maybe crests, same erd as the rims you have). Weirdly, the poster came up with an erd for the carbon rim to be much less than 536. Despite this, he still got the spokes wound in enough to work. See the photos though - I dunno how many threads on those spokes/hub are holding the wheel together. You'd hate to damage the threads on that hub.
    yep, it was in this thread. search for posts by macming.

there is a discussion satrting at post 142 about the low erd:
    26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

there is a photo of the spoke/hub at post 245:
    26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got mine last night. 4 days shipping from China to Calgary, just like he predicted.

Weighed them and they are bang on at 370g each with the matte/3k. Really pumped now. Can't wait to get them built up and test ride them.
    Last edited by Gunnar-man; 07-19-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Still waiting on mine. The tracking has been showing China for a few days now. I wonder if they've made it into the US yet. I recall a comment that the tracking was slow compared to actual shipping

meh
    Still waiting on mine. The tracking has been showing China for a few days now. I wonder if they've made it into the US yet. I recall a comment that the tracking was slow compared to actual shipping
    track it at USPS if you havent already

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    track it at USPS if you havent already
    I get the same info mentioning China still

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Hello. Can you tell me how AM these rims are?. Forgive my ignorance please
    650B MTB carbon rim / 650B mountain carbon rim only 20mm clincher rim width 30mm | eBay

mtbr member
    These rims are nice, can someone post pictures of matte or gloss UD finish please
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    Hello. Can you tell me how AM these rims are?. Forgive my ignorance please
    650B MTB carbon rim / 650B mountain carbon rim only 20mm clincher rim width 30mm | eBay
    Judging by the weight of those rims I would not consider them to be AM at all. They are advertised as weighing about the same as the light-bicycle AM rims that are being discussed in this thread and those are 26". The ones you are asking about are 27.5", so i would consider them to be a XC/Trail rims. But this is all assumption based on the weight, this all could change if someone has experience with them. Start a new thread and ask if anyone has any experience with them.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11