Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I ordered 3 weeks ago now. Requested delivery status/tracking a week ago, and was told about 2 more days. Requested it again last night, thinking they may have forgot to send tracking, so I can keep an eye for the postal guy. Now received the same "copy pasted" email from above, about the knotty process and would it be ok to ship in 10 more days?

Not very confidence inspiring at this point.
    I just got the same email. Makes it seem they aren't close to getting it sorted if they've been saying ten days for the past month.

Not going to cancel, but I'm getting impatient, got a set of new CK's waiting to be laced up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any updates? Any more ERD measurements? So far we got one 537mm. Anybody else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd like a status update from those that have these laced up and have run them. Anyone yet?

banned
    Mar 2012
    I got my third 10 day delay email.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    I got my third 10 day delay email.
    When did you order?
    Bend, Oregon

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    When did you order?
    Over a month ago.

mtbr member
    For those that are waiting here's the latest update i have from Brian

"Sorry for late reply, we are at Shanghai Bicycle Fair these days, and we will check the rims the production line manufactured these days on April 30th and report back to you. Because, we will be back to factory on April 30th. Is that ok? The engineers say the new manufacture way is ok, but we need to check the rims by ourselves and mail to customers.

Best Regards,
    Brian"

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    For those that are waiting here's the latest update i have from Brian

"Sorry for late reply, we are at Shanghai Bicycle Fair these days, and we will check the rims the production line manufactured these days on April 30th and report back to you. Because, we will be back to factory on April 30th. Is that ok? The engineers say the new manufacture way is ok, but we need to check the rims by ourselves and mail to customers.

Best Regards,
    Brian"
    I just received the same email a few minutes ago.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I was in corresponding with light-bicycle over a month ago, and they'd mentioned that they were gearing up for this bike show and implied that there would be an interruption to production because of it. It might be annoying, but it makes sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACHTUNG! View Post
    I'd like a status update from those that have these laced up and have run them. Anyone yet?
    Aloha,

I am a step closer, the wheel was laced up this evening. I'll true it out on another day. Total weight for the whole set up is 848 grams. 326 g for the CK ISO hub with 10 mm axle. 135 g for the 32 DT revolution spokes (258/260mm). 9 grams for the red anodized DT Alloy nips. 378 grams for the rim. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the laced wheel yet.

I'm not doing a front wheel because I'm running 650b up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Beta testers, please provide input on ride quality/lateral stiffness. I am interested to know if the low profile (ie 24mm) vs, the taller Enve (30)mm profile affects the lateral stiffness of the wheel. One if the primary advantages to carbon IMHO is the increase in lateral stiffness vs. aluminum. Seems like these Chinese rims have simply copied the Roval profile, whereas Enve and the other US manufacturers prefer a deeper profile for increased lateral stiffness, right? It is encouraging to see the manufacturer making upgrades to the V2 bead to insure 100% UST compliance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Beta testers, please provide input on ride quality/lateral stiffness. I am interested to know if the low profile (ie 24mm) vs, the taller Enve (30)mm profile affects the lateral stiffness of the wheel. One if the primary advantages to carbon IMHO is the increase in lateral stiffness vs. aluminum. Seems like these Chinese rims have simply copied the Roval profile, whereas Enve and the other US manufacturers prefer a deeper profile for increased lateral stiffness, right? It is encouraging to see the manufacturer making upgrades to the V2 bead to insure 100% UST compliance.
    Which other companies make taller profiles? I only know of Enve. The Easton haven are also very popular and I believe it's only 22mm depth.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Paper or plastic?
    Here us my rear wheel with a bontrager strip. Tall rim made it hard to26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-uploadfromtaptalk1335652576544.jpg mount tire.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-uploadfromtaptalk1335652607488.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-uploadfromtaptalk1335652623176.jpg  

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    OK, yet another step closer.

The wheel is trued up. The rim was easy to work with and came out quite nice with "even" spoke tension. There was only one interesting tid-bit. At least in a couple of places the material thickness of where the nipple passes through the rim is a bit thicker. In general, the material around the spoke holes is a bit thicker than typical al rims but standard nipples work fine.

The first picture shows one of the holes which is thicker.

Second picture shows "normal" thickness.

Third and fourth pictures self explanatory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3973.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3974.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3976.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3975.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i don't claim to be an expert on rims and lateral stiffness, but wouldn't the width of the rim have the impact on lateral stiffness, rather the the height/profile?

I just imagine 2 hypothetical extreme "rims":
    - one with no width (ie. 1mm wide) but with very high profile,
    - the other with no height but very wide.

The former could be easily be folded/bent sideways, and the latter couldn't.

the high profile rim would stay much rounder and resist flat spots, and the other would flat spot more easily. based on all this, in theory, the higher profile wheels would possibly have less vertical deformation, so might ride a bit harder (less compliance) over bumps. do the reports of enve wheels on hardtails reflect this?

having said all this, the number of spokes, spoke strength/thickness, and possibly spoke tension, would have much more impact lateral stiffness anyway - so it'd be pretty difficult to judge the lateral stiffness of the rim alone unless you had two completely identical builds (other than the rim).

Paper or plastic?
    First ride in and the rim did not combust. :-) makes for a nice light wheel. I really liked the tire profile with wide rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    carbine! me likey! What's that growth on the chainstay though? :-)

Paper or plastic?
    No idea, when I pedal, it magically moves forward.;-)

mtbr member
    Me thinks he's referring to your Bionicon c.guide v.02

Paper or plastic?
    LOL. For some reason, I read "chain growth". Oh well.

mtbr member
    OK, one more step closer.

Drilled the rim out for schrader, mounted a Maxxis High Roller 2.35. The tire aired up real easy and held without any leakage to speak of (ghetto tubeless).

Overall I am liking the whole set up. The tire is massive and sits nice and square on the rim. I've only taken it for rides up and down the street. Next step, get it out on some single track and see how well the combinations works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3978.jpg  

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-img_3982.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As a newb, looking at these rims vs complete wheel from light-bicycle
    It makes sense to just buy the complete wheel if you don't have spare parts., their bladed spokes are very light 4.3g vs dt swiss comp 5.78g. And they do it for same price with less weight.

their complete wheel $480 + $60 ship to US, $540 1345g
    there are three sellars on ebay with carbon wheels, novatec hub, pillar bladed spokes, $415 1600+/-50g. So the ebay wheels weigh 250g more, but maybe thats all in the extra rim = beefier. Seems like ebay a better deal, Anything I'm missing here?

meh
    Those eBay rims are narrow, if that's what you are looking for the eBay wheels are cheaper, give them a shot and report back

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can't post links but if you check out post #435 in the carbon 29er rim thread someone has done some at home stiffness measurements of a couple of different rims.

Boyeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by CamW View Post
    I can't post links but if you check out post #435 in the carbon 29er rim thread someone has done some at home stiffness measurements of a couple of different rims.
    I can post the link

banned
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone recently received a shipment notification?

1:18
    Some more info from Nancy @ support, I've asked about 26 wide carbon rims:

- The rims will be ready on May 15th.
    - Yes, it is tubeless compatible. Please find attached cross-section drawing.
    - The weight will be at 380g. If you like, we can make heavier version for large riders.
    - For warranty, it is one year. During this period, customers can get replacement rims if there is any quality issue under reasonable using.

We will make two types of this rim. One is heavier for large riders, and the other is for light riders. So, if you like, you can order heavier version.

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in on the wheel I built using the rim. The wheel rocks!! Set up ghetto tubeless using schrader valve and Maxxis High Roller tire. The tire seated immediately, no leaking or leak down or sealing issues. Out on the ride the bike hooks up and climbs awesome. No burping at all. Finally, a wide rim for the wide tires that I want to run for trail riding without the weight penalty. So far they are well worth it at killer price.

I say be patient, it's well worth the wait.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any chance of a few pictures?

beer is good
    gmats posted a bunch of pix earlier in this thread
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has anyone built a wheel set for their dirt jumper yet? I need a new DJ wheel set and was thinking I might give these a go on it.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Huckin' trails
    I was looking at their carbon 26" wheelset...

Quick math show that $300 for rims and $130 for the Novatec hubs they use get it pretty close to what you could build yourself for a decent XC wheelset. They sell them for $480.

I'm not an expert on wheel building, but would you buy them build already or prefer to get them laced up by yourself or at the LBS ?

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-26er-mtb-carbon-wheel-clincher.jpg

26er MTB carbon wheel clincher - light-bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I was looking at their carbon 26" wheelset...

Quick math show that $300 for rims and $130 for the Novatec hubs they use get it pretty close to what you could build yourself for a decent XC wheelset. They sell them for $480.

I'm not an expert on wheel building, but would you buy them build already or prefer to get them laced up by yourself or at the LBS ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26er-MTB-carbon-wheel-clincher.JPG 
Views:	2222 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	694291

26er MTB carbon wheel clincher - light-bicycle
    That's a tough call as always. I've built all my own wheels for many years but by the time I end up paying for the parts and shipping on all the stuff (to Hawaii), it gets pretty expensive. However, guess I always know what I want when I build up a bike or parts for it (wheels). Therefore, it's a one time cost for me instead of doing many upgrades over and over after buying off the shelf stuff.

If I were located in a more reasonable place, I'd be happy to build and teach how to build the wheels, it's actually not hard and just takes patience. After a few passes, building them becomes easier and easier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    Mine! I had the Bontrager Rythem strip mounted initially, but it was next to impossible to mount a tire. So I ended up doing just a layer of yellow tape, and so far so good.

The 'UST lip' on the Rythem strip is also pretty far from the tire bead. So by the time it catches, I think the tire would've already burped. I never run too low of a pressure, so I'll see how the yellow tape works.

Looks awesome! Did you measure the ERD?

mtbr member
    Mine! I had the Bontrager Rythem strip mounted initially, but it was next to impossible to mount a tire. So I ended up doing just a layer of yellow tape, and so far so good.

The 'UST lip' on the Rythem strip is also pretty far from the tire bead. So by the time it catches, I think the tire would've already burped. I never run too low of a pressure, so I'll see how the yellow tape works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Looks awesome! Did you measure the ERD?
    Mine came out to be around 530mm. Which really surprised me. My mechanic measured the rims as well, and he came back with a similar number.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any current updates if rims are shipping yet, after the new molds?
    Bend, Oregon

meh
    They are supposed to be ready the 15th per Nancy emailing me yesterday.

Paper or plastic?
    Sealant question. I have put a Rythm strip in my rear wheel, and about two cups of Stan, and my Captain tire does not seem to hold pressure overnight, even after a few rides. It does not deflate completely but gets down to the single digit psi. Anybody else having the same issue. Should I put a yellow strip first and the rythm strip on top?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Sealant question. I have put a Rythm strip in my rear wheel, and about two cups of Stan, and my Captain tire does not seem to hold pressure overnight, even after a few rides. It does not deflate completely but gets down to the single digit psi. Anybody else having the same issue. Should I put a yellow strip first and the rythm strip on top?
    Are you using tape first? If not you still need to tape over the spoke holes before using the rim strip.

I would get the wider 21 or 23 mm tape.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Are you using tape first? If not you still need to tape over the spoke holes before using the rim strip.

On the first rim, I did not use the yellow tape first. I will on the next one to see if it makes a difference.

meh
    shouldnt need stans tape under the rim strip

banned
    Apr 2012
    Check the tire bead for damage.

When I mount my tubeless tires I always add the Stans, air up, do the whole shake thing and start rotating the wheel slowly under water. It's usually sealed right up, but I once had a pin hole in the sidewall that was a bit stubborn. To fix it I left the wheel that side down for a bit and it sealed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    According to Stan's you do:

Installation Steps

1. Remove tire and tube from your wheel.

Leave on your existing rim tape or install 1-2 layers of Stan's yellow Rim Tape.

meh
    According to Stan's you do:
    sorry, all i meant was yellow tape isnt required and has nothing to do with sealing, as standad tape will work and the strip should be sealing the interface, should have been clearer

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did you re-lace the i-9's yourself? If so, which stock rims did you replace and how did the ERD compare with the old alloy rims? I see you are using the straight pull aluminum spokes. Did you note inconsistencies in the wall thickness as reported with earlier builds? This would show up as irregular spoke lengths, in the case of I9, where the spokes thread into the hub flange. Others have noted that the standard nipples project at different lengths at the spoke holes due to the internal rim thickness differences at the spoke holes.

mtbr member

Get the 25mm tape

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    On the first rim, I did not use the yellow tape first. I will on the next one to see if it makes a difference.
    I'd put tape underneath. The Rythem strip I got moved around a bit. I'd feel more comfortable with the yellow tape underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Did you re-lace the i-9's yourself? If so, which stock rims did you replace and how did the ERD compare with the old alloy rims? I see you are using the straight pull aluminum spokes. Did you note inconsistencies in the wall thickness as reported with earlier builds? This would show up as irregular spoke lengths, in the case of I9, where the spokes thread into the hub flange. Others have noted that the standard nipples project at different lengths at the spoke holes due to the internal rim thickness differences at the spoke holes.
    I got my LBS to do it since we have a pretty good relationship. I had a few other wheels built at the same time, and he only charged me $30/wheel with free truing later on.

The original rim was a DT 5.1d (539mm), and the spokes JUST worked.

The rim is definitely not perfectly round on the inside, and my mechanic mentioned the inconsistency as well. At the end of the day, he made it work, which I'm happy about.

I think I got a bit lucky because the straight pull I9 spokes have much more range for error compared to a Jbend/nipple setup.

The big ride is this weekend, but a quick ride around the block was very pleasant.

mtbr member
    Get the 25mm tape
    Isn't the internal width 23mm?

mtbr member
    Isn't the internal width 23mm?
    Yes, but there are curves you need to account for. I used the 25mm tape on mine, and I could've easily used a tape 2 - 3mm wider.

mtbr member
    Yes, but there are curves you need to account for. I used the 25mm tape on mine, and I could've easily used a tape 2 - 3mm wider.
    Ahh, that makes sense.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast