Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

337K views 2K replies 226 participants last post by  pb123hou 
#1 ·
I really enjoy the 29er chinese carbon rim thread but l didnt see anything for all mountain chinese wheels or rims. I'm looking for some 26in carbon all mountain rims that need to be wide, pretty light and strong to go on my Tracer2. Going through all the Asian carbon stores is big undertaking. That, and l dont fully understand everything about wheels. Are all the rims pretty much for xc if not can someone point me in the right direction

#1,755 ·
Hi Shredman, I have a doubt that you can resolve I think:

I want to purchase for a LB wheelset to mount on my Ibis mojo 160 26". What kind of width rim do you recomend me?

38mm - 31.6mm inner ?
33mm - 27 mm inner ?

Now I saw that Ibis Wheels are made with 41mm - 35mm inner , and they put a smaller tyre, because the wide rim gives more volume to the wheel. They say this is a setup for AM/Enduro riding... But I don't know.

For riding AM/Enduro and a couple times in Bikepark on summer, what type of wheel do you think is the best choice for me? I am 70kg weight.

(Sorry for my english, I am improving...)

Many thanks!

jmz

#1,756 ·
Hi Shredman, I have a doubt that you can resolve I think:

I want to purchase for a LB wheelset to mount on my Ibis mojo 160 26". What kind of width rim do you recomend me?

38mm - 31.6mm inner ?
33mm - 27 mm inner ?

Now I saw that Ibis Wheels are made with 41mm - 35mm inner , and they put a smaller tyre, because the wide rim gives more volume to the wheel. They say this is a setup for AM/Enduro riding... But I don't know.

For riding AM/Enduro and a couple times in Bikepark on summer, what type of wheel do you think is the best choice for me? I am 70kg weight.

(Sorry for my english, I am improving...)

Many thanks!

jmz
I'm running 33mm LB wheels on my HDR
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Your tire/wheel clearance on the Mojo with a 41mm size is going to push it. It's a tight fit on mine with 2.4's in that rear triangle

#1,757 ·
oww this mojo is amazing!

Which tyres are you setting up?

It's correct to think this? :

Wider rim (31.6mm inner) = more tyre volume = Can put 2.3" tyre and will be like 2,5" with less weight, so you can climb as fine as 27mm wide rim, with much grip on descending.

So, 31.6mm is better than 27mm in all aspects?

Thanks!

#1,758 ·
oww this mojo is amazing!

Which tyres are you setting up?

It's correct to think this? :

Wider rim (31.6mm inner) = more tyre volume = Can put 2.3" tyre and will be like 2,5" with less weight, so you can climb as fine as 27mm wide rim, with much grip on descending.

So, 31.6mm is better than 27mm in all aspects?

Thanks!
2.4 Conti trail kings on 33mm LB rims. I'll let someone else chime in on all your calculations, too much math for me to be honest. For AM/Enduro riding though, I wouldn't go with less than the 33mm wide rims.

#1,760 ·
Question to those that might know? Looking at buying a front and building it up for mainly XC and trail riding on my 29 HT. I'm a big guy (220lbs) but not into big air, maybe occasional 1-2 ft drops but even those are usually cause I wasn't paying attention. I want better traction on the downhill and was thinking the wider rim might be the answer.
Currently run Stan's Arch and tried a larger Continental up front and loved the grip but not the weight.
So question is will these work for me? Any comments or suggestions? I'm looking at the the AM rims for a bit more strength.

#1,763 ·
Yes. The 2.3 minion on a 38mm is a great combo. The minion super tacky is my all time favorite tire, However, beware the single ply. I had a few punctures last year that cost me an entire race weekend. If the carcass was a little thicker it would be the only tire I ever bought. The rounded profile is perfect for the new, wide rim movement.

#1,765 ·
I finally had my hookless 33mm rim laced to replace the first gen 33mm rear rim that cracked last summer. The rim has a slightly better finishing than the clincher one, I would guess the solid rim beads are easier to manufacture and cleaner to do too. However, the hookless rim has a bigger ERTO than the ones I had, because the same tire fits very tightly, to the point where I can't even rotate the tire on the rim, even when it's in the middle channel. The tire did air up very nicely (using mold latex and homebrew sealant) and seated right away. I have an amateur snow race on sunday where I'll try it out, should be fun !

#1,772 ·
Maxxis Minion 2.5 problem fitting light bicycle carbon rim

Has anyone used Maxxis Minion DHF Supertacky UST 2.5 on 26" Light Bicycle carbon rims? I had to fight to get it on the rim and using clamps was the only way to squeeze it on. Then I used up to 100psi initial pressure to try to get it to pop up from the rim inner channel onto the bead channels but the diameter of the tire just seems a little too small and I couldn't get it to seat in the bead channels all the way around. I easily mounted a Maxxis Ardent 2.4, Specialized Butcher SX 2.3, and Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tires on the same rim. The rim I have is their "all mountain" (33mm outer 27mm inner). The Minion was not a new tire as I've had it mounted on Roval Traverse (aluminum) and Roval Traverse SL (carbon) rims in the past and it's been used for about 15 to 20 days at the downhill park so I would think it would be stretched a little. Has anyone else had similar problems?

#1,773 ·
Has anyone used Maxxis Minion DHF Supertacky UST 2.5 on 26" Light Bicycle carbon rims? I had to fight to get it on the rim and using clamps was the only way to squeeze it on. Then I used up to 100psi initial pressure to try to get it to pop up from the rim inner channel onto the bead channels but the diameter of the tire just seems a little too small and I couldn't get it to seat in the bead channels all the way around. I easily mounted a Maxxis Ardent 2.4, Specialized Butcher SX 2.3, and Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tires on the same rim. The rim I have is their "all mountain" (33mm outer 27mm inner). The Minion was not a new tire as I've had it mounted on Roval Traverse (aluminum) and Roval Traverse SL (carbon) rims in the past and it's been used for about 15 to 20 days at the downhill park so I would think it would be stretched a little. Has anyone else had similar problems?
I have the 33's and 38's and I've had 2.5 Minnion DHF EXO's, (not the UST) on both rims with no problems. Are they steel bead or folding? Maybe the UST's are tighter since they use more rubber on the casing. Did u try some soap and water on the beads during mounting? Before I mount the tires, I let them, (the tires, not the rims) heat up in the sun so the rubber expands and becomes more plyable. Just curious, why UST? They're heavier than the tubeless ready EXO ones. Be careful with the rims and that much pressure too. They have a 80 PSI max rating.

#1,779 ·
Hi,

I've mounted LB 38mm rims on my bike a few months ago with a new Maxxis minion DHF Supertacky 2.3 on front and DHR 2.3 on rear.

I feel I need more grip on front, because on gravel and flat terrain it slides more than my old rims with a HRoller's.

Yesterday the front tyre was cutted by a rock, so now I want to prove some new tyre.

I am thinking about minion DHF 2.5 UST but the weight penalty is important. (860g vs 1180g aprox).

There's another tyre, Hans Dampf 2.35 with in 860g. This tyre has a good balloon so I think it would be a good choice.

What do you think about it? Any recomendations?

Type of terrain: any type..rocks, roots, and some gravel. 70% of year in dry conditions 30% wet.

Thanks!!

#1,780 ·
Hi,

I've mounted LB 38mm rims on my bike a few months ago with a new Maxxis minion DHF Supertacky 2.3 on front and DHR 2.3 on rear.

I feel I need more grip on front, because on gravel and flat terrain it slides more than my old rims with a HRoller's.

Yesterday the front tyre was cutted by a rock, so now I want to prove some new tyre.

I am thinking about minion DHF 2.5 UST but the weight penalty is important. (860g vs 1180g aprox).

There's another tyre, Hans Dampf 2.35 with in 860g. This tyre has a good balloon so I think it would be a good choice.

What do you think about it? Any recomendations?

Type of terrain: any type..rocks, roots, and some gravel. 70% of year in dry conditions 30% wet.

Thanks!!
I have the DHF EXO 2.5 (not UST, it's a lot lighter than the UST) and I also have the Hans Dampf. I like both, but the Hans is lighter and hooks up better on hard pack. The Hans also has a rounder profile and larger casing than the DHF, so even though it's a 2.35, it's bigger than the 2.5 Minion.

#1,782 ·
Hi Shred, thanks for your response

You run a non UST tyre as tubeless? It need more liquid sealant?

I think both tyres are similar..
On terms of durability, I heard that HD is bad.

If I can mount minion 2.5 without UST as a tubeless tyre I will try it

Thx!
I've been running tubeless for about 7 years and I've never used a UST tire. Most tires now a days are tubeless ready. UST is an old standard that is just not necessary. UST tires are a lot heavier and it kind of defeats the weight advantage of running tubeless. I use 2oz of Stan's in each wheel.

#1,787 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot this was the 26" thread. Sold those rims for pennies on the dollar on ebay. 26" users are killing it in the used market. Not doing so well in the tire market. I'm trying to keep our shop stocked but the supply of 26" tires is dwindling by the week.

#1,793 ·
Hi ppl!

Wich kind of tape do you use to run LB Rims tubeless?

I've installed the XSauce tape in 23mm wide option. My rims are LB 26" 38mm outer, 33mm inner.

I'm not sure about if this is the good tape because there are air loss in the spoke holes.

Any opinion about this? Thanks!
12mm Stan's. It covers the channel only, not the rim bed so the tire is easier to mount and the tape doesn't get messed up when u change tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.