Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Spsoon, thats a perfect pressure in my opinion, and what I run to prevent issues. Curious why you feel it should be less?
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Are you running the Bonty TLR Strips or the rhythm Strips? I have the 26" wider (23 mm x 30 mm Light Bicycle Rims and want to go tubeless.
    Thanks, Ken

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    They have improved the manufacturing process for their 29er and 650b wheels, but have not yet done this for the 26" wheels. Brian has said they will probably make the change at some point.
    I was under the impression that all of their rims have seen subtle running changes in the layup as they've found ways to improve them. You seem to be alluding to a more significant change in shape or build technique. Can you provide more details?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I was under the impression that all of their rims have seen subtle running changes in the layup as they've found ways to improve them. You seem to be alluding to a more significant change in shape or build technique. Can you provide more details?
    Technology Improve Of Light-Bicycle Carbon MTB 650B Rims Light-Bicycle

Only being done with the 650 and 29er rims so far.

From the text below the article.
    "Light-Bicycle :
    Hello Michael,Thanks for your inquiry.For the new process, we are now testing on 29er wide rims. For 26er wide rims, currently, we do not have the plan to change it to use new manufacturing. 26er wide rims failure rate is very low.The strength is now stable. But we will consider it after Chinese New Year vacation( Feb 4th to Feb 17th).Now, we are doing on 29er wider rims. If everything goes on well, we will try on 26er wide rims. Because it takes some time to test, also to modify the pre-molds.Thanks,Light-bicycle"

bike rider
    Wow, you gotta be impressed with the openness of this company and their commitment to improvement. I also get the impression that warranties of "old construction" rims will be replaced with their latest version so I have no worries about having purchased already. I'm used to killing a couple alloy rims a year and sometimes swapping a new rim over in the pits. Cheap carbon rims that continue to improve and are backed up by a warranty and crash replacement plan are awesome! I realize for some people a rim failure is a bigger deal but learn to build wheels and it's as simple as swapping any other part out. I just wonder how much longer Easton, Reynolds, Specialized, DT, and Enve will be able to sell $800 rims and $2000 wheelsets.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Wow, you gotta be impressed with the openness of this company and their commitment to improvement. I also get the impression that warranties of "old construction" rims will be replaced with their latest version so I have no worries about having purchased already. I'm used to killing a couple alloy rims a year and sometimes swapping a new rim over in the pits. Cheap carbon rims that continue to improve and are backed up by a warranty and crash replacement plan are awesome! I realize for some people a rim failure is a bigger deal but learn to build wheels and it's as simple as swapping any other part out. I just wonder how much longer Easton, Reynolds, Specialized, DT, and Enve will be able to sell $800 rims and $2000 wheelsets.
    specialized is at 1200 so is very competitive

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Spsoon, thats a perfect pressure in my opinion, and what I run to prevent issues. Curious why you feel it should be less?
    Running tubeless, high pressure, and fat tires are all factors that increase stress on the rim. The manufacturer recommends max 40psi (without specifying a tire size), so 35psi with a 2.4 tire might be pushing it.

mtbr member
    based on the results posted in this thread, it seems that the weak spot of these rims is against impact so I'll take my chances running slightly higher pressures to protect against rim strikes. I had to run at least 32psi in the rear of my 500g alu rims to prevent strikes/dents (and still got them occasionally) so I'm used to it. I'm running about 34-35 psi rear and 32-33 front with the light bicylce rims to be conservative. only 3 rides on them so far, so time will tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Running tubeless, high pressure, and fat tires are all factors that increase stress on the rim. The manufacturer recommends max 40psi (without specifying a tire size), so 35psi with a 2.4 tire might be pushing it.
    I emailed them about this before. On the 26er wide rims they said the max pressure is what's on the tire. You will notice wider tires say Lower max pressures and for the sizes I had 2.2 & 2.35 LB said the max was what was listed on my tires.

One thing to keep in mind though is that when you go tubeless the max pressure becomes lower and is no longer specified ( this is what Schwable told me and they said it was important for rims and the tires I think they said they don't even test what the max is due to variations in rims and the fact that they seemed to think high pressure tubeless was weird anyway). Basically if you want to run high pressures use tubes and go by what it says on the tire.

That being said Schwable says 35psi max for tubeless and with a 2.4 I'd say 35psi is pretty darn high.
    Last edited by litany; 03-04-2013 at 02:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Warranty success :)

Quote Originally Posted by scar4me View Post
    Managed to get my 3k matt finish rim to delaminate yesterday .
    Pics:
    pinkbike.com/photo/9219678/
    pinkbike.com/photo/9219682/

Not running silly tyre pressure, or hitting rocks/silly terrain.
    Happened on a high speed loamy corner, 35PSI in a 2.4 Nobby Nic, heard a crack and started loosing tyre pressure.
    Delaminated on the 3k weave at the edge of the bead, and leaked sealant through the weave!
    Won't seal tubeless now on anything higher than 10PSI .
    Time to speak to Nancy....

Scar
    Well after not hearing back from them for a week I ended up going onto their website and using the "chat to us" function.
    Brian was very helpful, and they are now sending me out a warranty replacement heavy duty rim (and I'm covering the cost of shipping).

I've been speaking to a number of other bike component suppliers who've been out to the factories to source their own rims, and their are some issues with the process for the current cheap 26er rims.
    Basically the bladder that is supposed to help form the internal channel and pressurise the moulding isn't very good. This can leave voids and wrinkles in the internal moulding. Externally they all look great, but internally they aren't very tidy e.g. there isn't a consistent finish internally, and sometimes there are even bits of the bladder still in there.
    (They will publish their results soon, and are getting the strength tests verified by an independent university over here, so watch this space.)

This is where they get the production variations of weight for "heavy duty" rims. Basically these rims have less voids/more epoxy, so a higher finishing weight.

I do know 35PSI is at the very top of tubeless pressures, but I'm not a light rider and ride very rough/rocky/rooty tracks so wanted to avoid rim strikes.
    They rode extremely well with the nobby nic at that pressure though.

Scar

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My LBS just finished building a set up for me. Rims were 391/392gm. All said and done with hope pro2 evos and dt comp spokes, 737/851 f/r. 1588 gm total. Not bad. Should be an improvement in weight, stiffness, and engagement over my stumpy evo's stock roval whatevers.

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363922980.179880.jpg

Huckin' trails

As a side note, I'm currently riding about 15psi f/r on 2.4 tires, using tubes, on alloy rims of similar width of these carbon ones and this is on hardpack snow and ice trails, and I'm 110lbs. Tires are also DIY studded for optimal fun factor.

When I'll have my 26" wider wheelset from them, I'll be running 2.0-2.1 tires and I shouldn't be under 25psi not to risk any pinch flat or even more to bottom out the tire onto the rim. This is gonna be on a XC bike too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Tubeless attempts....

Finally had some time to get tires mounted on these. Let me first establish:

Kenda excavators 2.35f/2.1r
    Mounted kind of loosely without lots of force required to get tires on rim. Using tubes, beads popped into place no problem at about 30 psi.

Attempting tubeless with a single layer on Stan's yellow tape (25mm). Wasn't getting any seal to build pressure and pop tires into bead. I think the tires are just so loose there are too many gaps/leak spots. I tried a 2nd layer of Stan's to no avail.

At this point I am thinking rather than have so many layers of tape that maybe a tubeless rim strip is the way to go. I've read the bontrager Rhythm strips are good on these rims, is there a particular model # for these? Do I get as wide as possible to fit the 25mm internal width of the rim?

Anyone had success with other rim strips? Any Stan's strips that work with these 26" wider rims?

I will likely also ride these tires with tubes for a few ride to break them in, perhaps mounting will go better then?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For those of you that have run flow's in the3 past - how would you compare them to the carbon wheels - in terms of durability, rigidity and ease of mounting tires/burping

www.facebook.com/kardne
    Jan 2013
    Has anyone bought complete wheels from them?
    wider carbon 26er bicycle wheels mountain bike downhill wheels Light-Bicycle

Any news about the upgraded version of the rims?

yet another stupid german
    hey andy,
    had a similar problem with mine and smeared some sealant on the tire beads of the mounted tires, popped right on^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had my first solid rock strike on these rims Sunday, pinch flatted my UST tyre and only left the slightest of grazes on the bead! When I heard the clunk and hiss of air after, I pictured the bead being cracked. Well chuffed, touch wood these rims seem solid.

I bought mine in the summer so got them fairly early on when people seemed to be suffering with week beads and questioning the strength of them.

The build is 26" wider 3K with sapim cx-ray spokes on CK hubs, run with bonty rim strips and conti rubber queen 2.2 UST tyres.

Huffy Rider
    I am about to order a front wheel complete and a rim to build my my own rear, in the 3k matte "wider" 26in. I have read thru all of this thread, and most of the 650/29r threads, and I would like some clarification from those of you with purchasing experience. Will I have to pay something to get my box thru customs? I am in AZ, USA. If so, how much? Will I get a bill?

Next question, the stated ERD is 536....will they measure my solo rear rim before they ship so I can order the correct spokes? Have the ERD measurements been freakishly off?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

Brenda

yet another stupid german
    Can't help you with the customs stuff because I'm in Germany...

My measured ERD was 539 for the standard weight rim and 540 for the heavier (402g) rim. if you want to play it safe, I'd wait for the rims and measure them before ordering spokes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I am about to order a front wheel complete and a rim to build my my own rear, in the 3k matte "wider" 26in. I have read thru all of this thread, and most of the 650/29r threads, and I would like some clarification from those of you with purchasing experience. Will I have to pay something to get my box thru customs? I am in AZ, USA. If so, how much? Will I get a bill?

Next question, the stated ERD is 536....will they measure my solo rear rim before they ship so I can order the correct spokes? Have the ERD measurements been freakishly off?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

Brenda
    I just got two of the same rims, 3K matte, wider 26", 360 & 357 grams. I measured ERD and both are 538.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My experience is the ERD is about 2mm more than listed, so no big deal as only equates to 1mm on each spoke.

Huffy Rider
    OK, so I will make sure they measure the rim before shipping. What about customs? Anyone from the US buying these?

Brenda

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    OK, so I will make sure they measure the rim before shipping. What about customs? Anyone from the US buying these?

Brenda
    I bought a set. No customs charge for me in NY.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So, reading through the comment on the LB website, is it correct to say that UD is marginally stronger to most forces, but 3K weave has stronger eyelets?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    So, reading through the comment on the LB website, is it correct to say that UD is marginally stronger to most forces, but 3K weave has stronger eyelets?
    They have been saying the 3k is stronger but it's really just 1 layer and I doubt you'll see an actual difference. I've had my rims for 6 months now and am very happy and confident in them. I got ud outer layer because I don't like the 3k or 12k look.

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast