Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    obsessive
    Well,yeah it will work... And there is more than enough space to do it. You can even buy a kit with 2mm threaded steel "bullets" made for doing exactly that. Less holes = more continuous fibers = stronger wheel. I will definitely do this on my next set.
    Go out and ride your bike

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    VERY interesting. I'm planning to run mine tubeless, and that's ingenious. Would practically be fail-safe and wouldn't have to mess with tape or rim strips. The magnet task would work through a carbon rim?
    Magnetic fields aren't alter by non-ferrous metals (in general), so only the distance can have an impact on the strength of your magnet. And even more since carbon won't do anything to a magnetic field, you have nothing to worry about beside making sure you have a good magnet not to waste time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

bike rider
    Apparently other people have ordered rims this way so there must be vertical room to flip the nipple and drop it through its hole. Can anyone dig up that cross section with all the measurements?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here's the crossectional diagram I was given.
    gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8535632/p4pb8535632.jpg

Scar

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by scar4me View Post
    Here's the crossectional diagram I was given.
    gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8535632/p4pb8535632.jpg

Scar
    Here's the image

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357824816.933235.jpg
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Apparently other people have ordered rims this way so there must be vertical room to flip the nipple and drop it through its hole. Can anyone dig up that cross section with all the measurements?
    I can provide this as well. I emailed Nancy about this yesterday night actually, and here is the discussion:

Me: "Just one more question. Please see the attached diagram, where I'm asking for a measurement of something on the rim."
    Nancy: "Hello Christ, It is 8mm. Thanks, Nancy"

8mm doesn't sound right to me. By process of elimination, you start with 22mm rim height - 8.5mm rim bed to bead top = 13.5mm possible. Then you subtract the lower rim wall thickness (which may be 4mm???), and I'm left with 9.5mm nipple well. Even if a 9.5mm well is accurate, that's not enough space to get nipples through the spoke hole, is it? Most nipples are 12-16mm length, so I'd like to hear how some got the nipples through those holes when the well is 8mm, possibly 9.5mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-mtb-26er-wider-rim-30mm-width-geometry-profile.jpg  

MattSavage
    I can provide this as well. I emailed Nancy about this yesterday night actually, and here is the discussion:

Me: "Just one more question. Please see the attached diagram, where I'm asking for a measurement of something on the rim."
    Nancy: "Hello Christ, It is 8mm. Thanks, Nancy"

8mm doesn't sound right to me. By process of elimination, you start with 22mm rim height - 8.5mm rim bed to bead top = 13.5mm possible. Then you subtract the lower rim wall thickness (which may be 4mm???), and I'm left with 9.5mm nipple well. Even if a 9.5mm well is accurate, that's not enough space to get nipples through the spoke hole, is it? Most nipples are 12-16mm length, so I'd like to hear how some got the nipples through those holes when the well is 8mm, possibly 9.5mm.
    Like a box spring or mattress coming down a hallway and into a side door, enter it at an angle...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Like a box spring or mattress coming down a hallway and into a side door, enter it at an angle...
    I'm no engineer, but the angle you mention has to be adequate. The mattress can bend, the nipples and boxspring cannot. For a 12-16mm nipple, we'd need enough play in the angle to make up for 4-7mm of lost height. People with these wheels can confirm they're running the wheels with no spoke holes? Did you have to use shorter nipples than 14/16mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There's still external spoke holes but no internal ones on the rim bed. You thread a short bent piece of spoke into each nipple, drop them in the valve hole, use a magnet to move them to their spoke hole, and tweezers to pull them through. Tedious but with brass nipples it's a one time thing and it would be sweet to have no tape for tubeless.
    Hi all, first post but been following this thread and the 29" rim thread. Like the idea of this, and as mentioned previously, fewer drilled holes also means fewer broken carbon fibres, which should give more rim strength?

Was also wondering as many have mentioned the spoke holes are all drilled dead centre of the rim, resulting in the spoke nipples bending the spokes. What about receiving the rim undrilled, and drilling yourself? This would allow the holes to be drilled at the correct angle for the nipple/spoke angle. I believe that the result could be a stronger rim as the spoke holes would be staggered instead of in a straight line.

Has anyone had the rim only drilled on the inside, and fed the nipples in through the valve hole? Seen a few posts of the idea, but not any feedback of weather it has been achieved, and with any success.

obsessive
    Well, I guess that is settled... 8mm is the correct number. Guess it won't work after all. Also note the 3K layer inside- these are a UD finish rim with paint done by light-bicycle. So two facts checked in one post.

bike rider
    I just sent Nancy an email asking if there's enough room to maneuver nipples into their holes without rim bed holes. She said they've made rims this way but I was more explicit this time asking if it had worked out for the wheel builders. I always use 12mm nipples so I'd expect to need 11mm vertical space.

obsessive
    There is more than 8mm from other angles, that is just the minimum dimension under the U in the channel. I'm a little surprised by this. The rim is pretty thick, and the holes are very square, meaning the entry angle will have to be straight. I was sure it would work, and took it on faith from Nancy... but I bet she was referring to their deep-section road wheels, not the wide 26" wheels! Well, facepalm me for advocating the idea earlier. It just made so much sense... My next order will be through drilled as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    There is more than 8mm from other angles, that is just the minimum dimension under the U in the channel. I'm a little surprised by this. The rim is pretty thick, and the holes are very square, meaning the entry angle will have to be straight. I was sure it would work, and took it on faith from Nancy... but I bet she was referring to their deep-section road wheels, not the wide 26" wheels! Well, facepalm me for advocating the idea earlier. It just made so much sense... My next order will be through drilled as well.
    Phew, thank god I didn't order mine without rim bed holes. It is too bad though, as it would have been ideal for strength. I was skeptical about the nipples being able to "angle in." I'm a little confused on what you're showing in that pic though, are you actively measuring something or just showing the digital readout?

obsessive
    Phew, thank god I didn't order mine without rim bed holes. It is too bad though, as it would have been ideal for strength. I was skeptical about the nipples being able to "angle in." I'm a little confused on what you're showing in that pic though, are you actively measuring something or just showing the digital readout?
    I'm measuring an invisible spoke nipple... ha, just showing the DRO.

bike rider
    From talking to Nancy it doesn't sound like 12mm nipples will work without rim bed holes but she claims to have made rims like that in 650b. I'm trying to find the 650b thread so ask if someone there did it and what nipples they used but can't find it, help?

MattSavage
    From talking to Nancy it doesn't sound like 12mm nipples will work without rim bed holes but she claims to have made rims like that in 650b. I'm trying to find the 650b thread so ask if someone there did it and what nipples they used but can't find it, help?
    Might be something in these, but I don't recall that conversation...

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/car...ms-795024.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/lig...bs-829091.html

mtbr member
    Wow there really is alot of information here.

Ok i have some questions.

Where do you order these from?
    Tubeless?
    Have they been breaking?

Oh goodie i can't wait to get some haha!!
    Ride it like you won't get another chance.

MattSavage
    I did just see this one... Cheap Chinese carbon rim fail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am about to pull the trigger on a set. I think I will just have them build with the Novatec hubs. I have a 2010 Specialized Enduro and will be getting another bike within a year. I was planning on ordering the 881/882 hubs, which I think should work fine. 20mm thru axle in the front and a QR 10x135 in the rear.

Brian says these hubs won't fit my bike. What are the best Novatec hubs to put on these wheels? Going with the wider rims.

ang
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's still external spoke holes but no internal ones on the rim bed. You thread a short bent piece of spoke into each nipple, drop them in the valve hole, use a magnet to move them to their spoke hole, and tweezers to pull them through. Tedious but with brass nipples it's a one time thing and it would be sweet to have no tape for tubeless.
    Could you use something like is used to fish electrical wires through walls?
    Send it through the valve hole, then hook a string to it at the spoke hole. Pull that to the valve hole, attach your nipple and pull it to the spoke hole.

Given clearance inside the rim for the nipple to make the turn into the spoke hole, of course.

bike rider
    That's the problem, not e nouh vertical clearence to let the nipple make the turn into the hole. Getting it to that point is done with either strings or magnet/ bit of spoke/tweezers.

Huckin' trails
    Do you guys think they would be willing to actually make a third version, the 26" wide tubeless ready with no outside drilling, just so we could all have a stronger and easier to set up tubeless wheel ?

I guess that if there is enough demand, they'll look into it.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    (have King hubs ready, probably spokes too).
    At your size, if you ride fast, you might want to reconsider King hubs. They're 100% reliable for 95% of riders, and 0% reliable for the rest of us.

I've been following this thread, but decided I'd break these rims within a couple months. Oh well, I guess good, strong, reliable carbon rims are still a few years away. But I'm convinced they're coming. Sounds like we need something less stiff, but more resistant to cracking.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

yet another stupid german
    Hey Folks,

just a quick thank you for all the information here...
    here's my front wheel, 24hole (367g), Sapim CX-Ray straight pull, recycled SunRingle Charger Hubs.

Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast