Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here are a picture of my wider (stronger) DU with king hubs CX-Ray spokes 260mm all the way around, DT Swiss gold alloy nipples. They came in at 1627gram 7 grams over the DT Swiss calculator! Pretty good! 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354482881.588704.jpg
    Last edited by Darkstar187; 12-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saruti View Post
    nybike1971
    maybe its time to use more PSI on the rear tire....
    I guess you would break any carbon rim with 28 PSI on the rear.
    Morgan said it very well. I know it is not true that any carbon rim would crack under my body at 28psi. A friend of mine has been riding a set of Reynolds rims for over a season on a hardtail in rocky terrain and they have held up great.

The whole point of running tubeless is to improve the ride quality. If I can't run 28psi in a 850g 2.4 tire, the rim is useless for me. I am not talking about paper thin 450g tires here.

Just like Morgan, I treated this as an experiment. I was hoping it would work out but for me it didn't and it's time to move on. Maybe I'll splurge on a set of Enve because I really liked to stiffness and feel of carbon.

saruti, just out of curiosity, do you have any affiliation with light-bicycle?

mtbr member
    You are absolutely correct. I run 23 PSI in my rear tire on my Eastons and have for over a year without issues. This is doing 5-10 drops and riding a lot of fast rocky chunk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nybike1971
    I dont have any relationship with light-bicycle.com. I'm a costumer like all of us.
    I just think that with carbon rims, we shuld use more tire pressure.
    for me it's easy, becouse I like my tires pressure high. even when I used aluminium rims.
    I dont like the feel of the tires foldes when I take a turn....
    and I like the feel of my bike suspension working under me, and not the tires.
    I hope you understand what I mean :-)

mtbr member
    I'm 200lbs, and sure I can put my tires at 25f/28r PSI and make my rims survive, riding at a moderate pace. If I ride with any less than 32f/35r my 800g tires(any kind) squirm and are unpredictable, at the pace I want to ride. At higher pressures like this, I also have a tendency to make rims last pretty long. I can remember very well the last time I dented a rim. My Light Bicycle rims have been doing GREAT, even blasting hard.

If you regularly put dents in your aluminum rims, in my opinion, carbon rims are going to be a risky deal for you, unless you increase your pressures a bit.

I guess for the record, here is my riding level. This is my other bike, but I don't ride my bike with the LB carbon wheels any less aggressive. Fast forward about 2min in for better terrain.

Last edited by thuren; 12-03-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thure
    you know how to write and explain, better than me :-)

mtbr member
    That was fun to watch except for the metal on metal part, awesome riding. I ride pretty similar trails I'm 140lbs hopefully these carbon wheels will hold up.

obsessive
    Looks like a pretty good fun factor for such a well-groomed trail. I don't think rocks will be an issue for you... looks like a fun ride, though. Troll alert: your buddy has a nasty skidding habit that would be remedied with a little compress-and-lean into those wide, nicely-bermed corners y'all have.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Lets me just say again, that I have been charging with these rims even on rocky terrain(even though there is little rock in that above vid), and as long as my pressures are high, I have NO worries. I smashed into a couple rock sections yesterday on the trail, which reminds me I should give the rims a go go-over today, as I know my front pressure was down in the 29psi range. I think the buttery 160mm fork did it's job though.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Troll alert: your buddy has a nasty skidding habit that would be remedied with a little compress-and-lean into those wide, nicely-bermed corners y'all have.
    HAHA! I'll just say, once you get to a certain speed, if you DON'T skid, you are not making the turn. Race-pace mandates skidding sometimes.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    HAHA! I'll just say, once you get to a certain speed, if you DON'T skid, you are not making the turn. Race-pace mandates skidding sometimes.
    I was going to say if you haven't ridden BTI it's hard to tell how short those sections between switchbacks are. If you have enough speed to air the jumps you're going to skid a little.

obsessive
    Whenever I make a troll post, god kills a kitten. Lean, rail, rejoice. With finesse comes speed and control!

Chiming in on pressure, if only to boost the number of voices- I am heavy, and I ride aggressively. I could go on about breaking bones and parts and all that, since I shred, blah blah, but one thing that matters for sure is tire pressure. Up front (for me) maybe it can dip to a pound or two, but 30 psi is the absolute minimum in back. Varies with carcass size and terrain and all the other variables, but c'mon, you can't expect to not beat a rim with 24 psi no matter what you weigh.

If you know what pressure you will pinch flat at, and you should, that would be the same condition that your rim no longer has a cushion between it and the rock you landed on. Eliminating tubes eliminates pinch flats (well, the tube kind) but it does not change how your rim gets hammered. The line between compliant traction and slog & squirm is so narrow, why try to balance it? Add 5 psi and be done with it. My street/dj bike that these carbon rims are for always has 35 psi in the tires (with tubes), and I expect them to last.

mtbr member
    Whenever I make a troll post, god kills a kitten. Lean, rail, rejoice. With finesse comes speed and control!

Chiming in on pressure, if only to boost the number of voices- I am heavy, and I ride aggressively. I could go on about breaking bones and parts and all that, since I shred, blah blah, but one thing that matters for sure is tire pressure. Up front (for me) maybe it can dip to a pound or two, but 30 psi is the absolute minimum in back. Varies with carcass size and terrain and all the other variables, but c'mon, you can't expect to not beat a rim with 24 psi no matter what you weigh.

If you know what pressure you will pinch flat at, and you should, that would be the same condition that your rim no longer has a cushion between it and the rock you landed on. Eliminating tubes eliminates pinch flats (well, the tube kind) but it does not change how your rim gets hammered. The line between compliant traction and slog & squirm is so narrow, why try to balance it? Add 5 psi and be done with it. My street/dj bike that these carbon rims are for always has 35 psi in the tires (with tubes), and I expect them to last.
    I agree 100%!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am about to have a set of these laced up to some Hope Pro 2 Evo's for my Stumpy FSR evo (can never have to many products named evo)

Can anyone confirm the spoke length needed? I'm having trouble finding the right specs to punch into DT's calculator for hub info, and I've searched this thread but found some varying results. 260? 262? 263? - confused, and just want to have my LBS order the right thing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You better measure it yourself, this way you'll have exactly the right stuff.

obsessive
    Don't forget to consider the effect from the length of your neeples!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got my spoke lengths wrong, and had them too long by 2mm.
    But it was a relatively easy fix.

Just got a 14g spoke roller, as it was cheaper than buying a new full set of spokes.

Scar
    P.S. Mine are still riding perfectly!
    1500g all in with American classic hubs, running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I am about to have a set of these laced up to some Hope Pro 2 Evo's for my Stumpy FSR evo (can never have to many products named evo)

Can anyone confirm the spoke length needed? I'm having trouble finding the right specs to punch into DT's calculator for hub info, and I've searched this thread but found some varying results. 260? 262? 263? - confused, and just want to have my LBS order the right thing. Thanks!

I am coming up with 258 and 259. Let me know what you end up finding out. My ERD was correct from their web page so you results may vary depending on if you ERD is the same as mine

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    With my Chris king hubs I used 260 front and rear. The ERD was dead on. I used the dt calculator to find the correct spokes.

Trail Murderer
    Aug 2011
    Just ordered a set of light-bike's AM hoops for my bike... My plan is to relace my current Mavic Crossmax st's with these hoops. Anyone see any issues with this logic??

obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Slc View Post
    Just ordered a set of light-bike's AM hoops for my bike... My plan is to relace my current Mavic Crossmax st's with these hoops. Anyone see any issues with this logic??
    Using the Crossmax ST hub? What will you use for spokes? The ball-end zircal spokes with the double-threaded UST nips will only retrofit with the XM819 rim, as far as I know. What's your plan?

Trail Murderer
    Aug 2011
    Using the Crossmax ST hub? What will you use for spokes? The ball-end zircal spokes with the double-threaded UST nips will only retrofit with the XM819 rim, as far as I know. What's your plan?
    I was planning on running the ST hub... I was planning on trying to make it work at first... I wanted to see if anyone is running a similar setup, so I can steal some idea's...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    I am coming up with 258 and 259. Let me know what you end up finding out. My ERD was correct from their web page so you results may vary depending on if you ERD is the same as mine
    I did manage to find the Hope hub dimensions and also came up with 258/259 for the rear. 258/260 for the front. pic attached:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-screen-shot-2012-12-21-1.21.51-pm.png  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I did manage to find the Hope hub dimensions and also came up with 258/259 for the rear. 258/260 for the front. pic attached:
    I went with 258/260 front and rear, and it worked great. Next round, I will be using 260's for all, as if anything they were about 1-2mm too short.
    Bend, Oregon

Greystoke
    I went with 258/260 front and rear, and it worked great. Next round, I will be using 260's for all, as if anything they were about 1-2mm too short.
    Yep, I used 260 both sides on my front Hope Evo. I could see the spoke end just short of flush with the top of the nipple, disc side.

Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast