Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
    is RAD
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    If your flows were flexy with revo, I guess they aren't tensioned enough. My Flows on CX ray are very stiff. Thicker spokes do not necessarily mean stiffer. On the contrary. I have problems building stiff wheels with thick spokes
    From what I have read, CX Rays would build to a stiffer wheel than Revo's.

My understanding was that a thicker spoke would stretch less under load (at the same initial tension), leading to a stiffer wheel.
    Last edited by Van Cuz; 11-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    CX-Rays and Revos have about the same cross sectional area. They are equivalent in elasticity. A thicker spoke would be less elastic (ie. stretch less under the same load) but the CX-Ray is wide and flat while the revos are round, but the amount of metal in cross section is the similar.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The carbon rims allow a much higher tension overall in the wheel as the rim itself give structural support.
    Alloy rims do have a fair amount of give compared to the carbon ones, so if you tried to build them with the same high tension, the natural flex of the alloy rim would lead to snapping spokes as the flex is in concentrated areas.
    The carbon rims spread the load much better across more spokes, leading to less high stress peaks on single spokes when really putting the rim in high lateral and vertical loads.

Bladed spokes do support stronger wheel builds. As the spokes are not just stressing directly in-line with the spoke, they have side loading aswell. Bladed spokes are much less prone to failure under repeated side loading when under high tension.
    Cross sectional area is not the only factor in actual durability, as both Revo's and CX's could be tensioned up to the same high tension, but the Revo's would fail way before the CX's did under actual riding conditions.

Scar

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scar4me View Post
    ...Bladed spokes do support stronger wheel builds. As the spokes are not just stressing directly in-line with the spoke, they have side loading aswell. Bladed spokes are much less prone to failure under repeated side loading when under high tension.
    Cross sectional area is not the only factor in actual durability, as both Revo's and CX's could be tensioned up to the same high tension, but the Revo's would fail way before the CX's did under actual riding conditions...
    Got any empirical data to back this up? A spoke is under tension, its cross-sectional shape is irrelevant. CX-rays claim to have a higher fatigue life than the equivalent non-bladed spoke. They do not claim to be stronger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Now that the season is winding down does anyone have any video of themselves riding these rims in technical stuff or hitting jumps/drops with them? Or even just comments on how well they performed for you this season, along with what bike they are on and style riding you prefer? I would love to hear from those Mojo HD riders!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    Now that the season is winding down does anyone have any video of themselves riding these rims in technical stuff or hitting jumps/drops with them? Or even just comments on how well they performed for you this season, along with what bike they are on and style riding you prefer? I would love to hear from those Mojo HD riders!
    Well I don't have a seasons use out of mine but I built up a front wheel last week and my rear wheel yesterday. Rims came in at 360 grams each, Hadley hubs, DT revolution spokes and alloy nipples. Wheelset weighed in at 1550 grams without rim strip or valve. I used one wrap of gorilla tape with a Stans valve and my Conti Trail Kings seated easily.

I've had a few rides on the front wheel, first ride on the rear wheel today. No complaints, the front seems like its stiffer than my DT 5.1/Hadley wheel I was using previously.

These are on a Mojo HD and I feel like it was a good investment. Think I ended up spending around $850 for everything. The new wheels dropped around 3/4 lbs from my wheels which doesn't suck.

mtbr member
    I've been beating the snot out of mine. No full DH rock garden charging, as Carbon and rocks still freak me out, but I have pushed them as hard as any rim on any trailbike. Jumps and berm bashing like crazy, and I come in at 200lbs. These things are STIFF!

If I were running 1000g+ tires on a DH bike, and higher pressures, I would trust them.

They would probably be on my long-travel Enduro, IF they had a true bead-lip like my XT wheels do. I do fear of burping these if I ride REAL hard, with no bead lock. I head the Bontrager strips have this lip though might try that.
    Bend, Oregon

obsessive
    Tech note from Brian:
    The recommended spoke tension is 80kgf to 130kgf

3 of charging tension are involved in wheel building. Riding comfortability and performance are supposed to be considered while choosing charging tension.

A. Tension for "transportation riders" (Comfortability) 80-90kgf are ideal for regular tansporation riders or exercise on a regular basis.

B. Tension for "enthusiast riders" (Balance) 100-110kgf are good for people with enjoyful and training purpose.

C. Tension for "professional riders" (Performance) 120-130kfg are charged for riders who are expertized in riding or competition.
    Last edited by eurotrash666; 11-09-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Go out and ride your bike

obsessive
    Custom red paint for me!!
    Gonna replace some 620g Transitions with these... 400g reinforced version, UD under gloss red. These guys have been great to deal with. They say they have addressed the tight fitting/not fully seating tire problem... hope so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Custom red paint for me!!
    Gonna replace some 620g Transitions with these... 400g reinforced version, UD under gloss red. These guys have been great to deal with. They say they have addressed the tight fitting/not fully seating tire problem... hope so.
    Was the custom colour at any extra cost? Might get my next set in a union jack colour way!!

obsessive
    15 USD to paint and polish the pair. I bet they could do all kinds of paint, considering they do frames. Another Chinese company called Miracle did my frame with a design of my choice, but they charged per color, not on the complexity of the design. These guys are really striving for success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    They say they have addressed the tight fitting/not fully seating tire problem... hope so.
    I've recently built up four wheels with these rims and all have seated Continental trail kings (both UST and regular) without issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I've recently built up four wheels with these rims and all have seated Continental trail kings (both UST and regular) without issue.
    What type of rim strip are you using? I'm planning on trying out gorilla tape with my mountain king II's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sraak View Post
    What type of rim strip are you using? I'm planning on trying out gorilla tape with my mountain king II's.
    From what I have seen on here, that combo seems to work VERY well. The bontrager rim strips seem to work well also.

mtbr member
    I just use one wrap of gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Howdy,
    Tubeless.........
    Now this was a right PITA, but they do work and work well.
    The biggest issue for me was the tyre not sealing initially due to the deep internal channel. I ended up making a rim strip out of a 20in tube cutting it into the right width. Once the rim strip was in the tyre was able to seal just enough to seat up on the bead correctly. (although I really really had to work at it with my track pump!!)
    This would be way easier it you actually used a correct rim strip, like the bontrager strip.
    I just used a bontrager tubeless bolt in presta valve and my bodged bmx tube.
    This may be easier with the non matte finish rim, but mine are running fine.

Tyres being used were: Schwable Fat Albert 2.4, and Nobby Nic 2.4 (tripple evo tubeless ready)
    Did it the cheap way with 6 bolt in valves, and an old bmx tube.
    Couldn't be bothered to spend 25-30 for a propper strip.

Scar

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Did it the cheap way with 6 bolt in valves, and an old bmx tube.
    Couldn't be bothered to spend 25-30 for a propper strip.

Scar
    Bontrager rim strips are 3.50 each

Gorilla tape is 4 a roll

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the 29" version of these rims and initially built them with Revo's-2.0-1.5-2.0, and found them to be too 'flexy' in rough tech, pretty scary actually. I rebuilt them with 2.0-1.7-2.0 spokes, same tension, and they are much better holding a line in the rough tech. I feel more confident. I may even go to 2.0-1.8-2.0.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod35 View Post
    I have the 29" version of these rims and initially built them with Revo's-2.0-1.5-2.0, and found them to be too 'flexy' in rough tech, pretty scary actually. I rebuilt them with 2.0-1.7-2.0 spokes, same tension, and they are much better holding a line in the rough tech. I feel more confident. I may even go to 2.0-1.8-2.0.
    Too flexy compared to what? Isn't the primary benefit of carbon rims the stiffness? I run Stan's Arch EX and am considering these FOR the stiffness. Would I be disappointed in this swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe View Post
    Too flexy compared to what? Isn't the primary benefit of carbon rims the stiffness? I run Stan's Arch EX and am considering these FOR the stiffness. Would I be disappointed in this swap?

He was referring to the spokes, not the rim i believe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    He was referring to the spokes, not the rim i believe.
    Understood, but thought carbon rims were super stiff, and could get away with lighter or less spokes (seems to be how the commercial Carbon wheelsets are set up). I weigh around 210 and haven't seen a huge difference in stiffness from spokes (from tension yes, from spokes not so much, even my current Industry Nine aluminum spokes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I went from Stans Arch rims and its like night and day, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Understood, but thought carbon rims were super stiff, and could get away with lighter or less spokes (seems to be how the commercial Carbon wheelsets are set up).
    Depends how light you go on the spokes, Revolutions are very light, so much so DT only backs them up for XC use ~(They go 2.0-1.5-2.0).

Comps/Supercomps have a much less drastic butting to them, so you can get away with fewer and higher tensions. But really you want 32 and live with the extra 100g, wheels with 28 or fewer spokes can be a complete pain to true.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Comps/Supercomps have a much less drastic butting to them, so you can get away with fewer and higher tensions. But really you want 32 and live with the extra 100g, wheels with 28 or fewer spokes can be a complete pain to true.
    This is great advice. In the planning stages it's easy to get obsessed. Doing a recent build i realized I was agonizing over every gram, in reality, when I'm actually RIDING my bike I care a whole lot more about functionality and durability.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast