Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    me too, ordered a seatpost to try out as well
    I'm so excited for these! I've been waiting for a few months to get them I hope the quality of the first batch is good!

Your 29er versions are working out well for you, right?

meh
    ha, kinda what i was thinking, but with the other 3 rims already in production, am thinking they should be fine
    no clown wheels for me

Paper or plastic?
    Ordered mine as well. Hoping to ride at least one (rear wheel) in a couple weeks.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Anyone know what factory these are coming out of?

mtbr member
    Are these designed to be tubeless ready?
    The 29er specifically says tubeless ready and these don't.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm considering one of these now. I have time as my Mavic 819 still has life in it.

I was looking at the WTB Freq i23. This one maybe worth a shot.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Are these designed to be tubeless ready?
    The 29er specifically says tubeless ready and these don't.
    yeah, they are, pretty much the same thing as the 29er version
    guy with a 29er/wide rim had no problem with stans yellow tape, forget what tire

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thinking about buying the 30mm wide rims & converting to tubeless. I would like to modify the tire seating bead by applying some epoxy resin around the seating surface to create a UST style bead. The epoxy would be applied using a formed scraper & using the rim sidewalls a a guide for the scraper. The only thing I don't know is the composition of the resin/plastic used in the rims & whether the epoxy resin would in fact stick. Also, I do not know the dimensions of the UST bead system. A believe a regular clincher wheel has a tire seating diameter of 559mm. Does a UST rim have the same tire seating diameter? Also what is the height of the seating bead relative to the seating diameter? Can anyone help with these questions? My searches on the internet have been unsuccessful.

If it is possible, these modifications would allow a proper UST system. I would then use some cheap reinforced tape to cover spoke drilling holes. If a spoke breaks & I have to change spoke nipples, I can just peel off the tape, fix the spoke & reapply cheap reinforced tape.

I believe that the proposed system will be more convenient & lighter than applying a tubeless rim strip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyI52 View Post
    Thinking about buying the 30mm wide rims & converting to tubeless. I would like to modify the tire seating bead by applying some epoxy resin around the seating surface to create a UST style bead. The epoxy would be applied using a formed scraper & using the rim sidewalls a a guide for the scraper. The only thing I don't know is the composition of the resin/plastic used in the rims & whether the epoxy resin would in fact stick. Also, I do not know the dimensions of the UST bead system. A believe a regular clincher wheel has a tire seating diameter of 559mm. Does a UST rim have the same tire seating diameter? Also what is the height of the seating bead relative to the seating diameter? Can anyone help with these questions? My searches on the internet have been unsuccessful.

If it is possible, these modifications would allow a proper UST system. I would then use some cheap reinforced tape to cover spoke drilling holes. If a spoke breaks & I have to change spoke nipples, I can just peel off the tape, fix the spoke & reapply cheap reinforced tape.

I believe that the proposed system will be more convenient & lighter than applying a tubeless rim strip.
    Why not just get a bontrager or Dt Swiss rim strip that has the beadlock built into the strip

meh

whoa, sounds like an unnecessary undertaking

there arent any answers to your questions yet cuz they just went on sale, so no one has them....you can check the 29er thread though as people have received and built those, or ask "Nancy" at the light-bicycle website

mtbr member

Being very familiar with composites, I would say far away from doing that. The suggested Bontrager rim stip is I think a great idea I may go that direction also.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The website states that the ERD for the rim is 536. This is the same as the Stans Flow rim. So if I currently have a set of Stan's Flows I should be able to just replace the Flow rim with the carbon rim without buying new spokes right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    The website states that the ERD for the rim is 536. This is the same as the Stans Flow rim. So if I currently have a set of Stan's Flows I should be able to just replace the Flow rim with the carbon rim without buying new spokes right?
    If the ERD is accurate then it should be a straight swap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Why not just get a bontrager or Dt Swiss rim strip that has the beadlock built into the strip
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if the strip is wide enough though, the maximum width on their website Bontrager: Tubeless Replacement Parts (Model #02566) is 21mm. The wide Chinese carbon wheels are 23mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if the strip is wide enough though, the maximum width on their website Bontrager: Tubeless Replacement Parts (Model #02566) is 21mm. The wide Chinese carbon wheels are 23mm.
    I have a pair of these rims coming and the bobtrager rythem strips.

I will report back. Although my end configuration may just try a layer of yellow tape

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post

I will report back. Although my end configuration may just try a layer of yellow tape
    Thanks, looking forward to find out how you go.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post

I plan on using the yellow tape first. If it doesn't work, I'll put a Stan rim strip instead.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Just ordered some of the wider rims. Will be lacing up some 32h Hope pro evos. Should be a strong 1500g wheel set. I'll post pictures when they show.

Plan is to set them up Ghetto Tubless.
    Bend, Oregon

meh
    anyone gotten any production/shipping updates?
    i was told it was gonna take my order about 2 weeks due to ordering a matte seatpost as well and all they had was glossy, but nothing was mentioned as far as rims

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    excited for everyone's updates after you've had some miles on them with different types of abuse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    anyone gotten any production/shipping updates?
    i was told it was gonna take my order about 2 weeks due to ordering a matte seatpost as well and all they had was glossy, but nothing was mentioned as far as rims
    My rims were ordered and are supposedly on their way. No idea when they will get here. I'll certainly try to put up a report when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Shipping should only take 4 business days to the USA.

I ordered a pair of 50mm carbon clinchers road rims from them but it's taking a bit of time.

Took them 10 business days to manufacture it and was told that it is ready for shipping today, but the shippers are on vacation/holiday until wednesday. =[
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Well the company that everybody is buying the wheels from in the 29er thread also makes 26er carbon rims as well.

26er MTB carbon MTB rim clincher - light-bicycle

That is the regular 24mm wide 26er. They are also in the process of producing a wider 26er that will come in at 30mm wide (external), 23mm wide (internal), and 23mm depth...which is wider than the ZTR Flow. Not sure on the weight of the wider rim since I'm still waiting for a reply from Nancy.
    This one is nice.. Im a noob so i just want to ask whats a "clincher rim" is? what is the difference between that and the regular mavics im seeing.

mtbr member
    I've got a slighly bent front Flow rim and this could be a way to upgrade the replacement )

Looking forward to updates.

mtbr member
    I ordered two of these rims on the first day, and they are finally on their way! I even have my tracking number

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast