Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    For those that built their own - how much spoke tension are you using on these rims?
    Front: 120kgf disc side
    Rear: 160kgf drive side

holding up just fine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoeyeti View Post
    Rock hard is WAY too much pressure. I usually run about 23 psi front and 26 psi rear, and depending on your weight, riding style, and how chunky your trails are you could go as low as 18 psi.
    Some would call 35psi rock hard, and I would call 18psi damn near flat.

I NEED to run 35psi on the rear, and 32psi in the front, unless running full on 1200g DH tires.

There are no "rules" with tire pressure.
    Bend, Oregon

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    there are no rules for tire pressure
    precisely! In fact, for riding purposes I don't even bother with the guage, just give the tire a squeeze.

By the way, tahoeyeti, we were talking about temporary pressures for seating a bead. I think we could all agree that 50-60 PSI would be ludicrous for any type of off-road riding.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Going to be riding mine for the first time on sunday, can't wait as I built them up a month back and haven't had the time since I managed to seat some tyres! Bought conti rubber queens 2.2 ust for them as they are a large tyre so thought the depth would help protect the rim. Once I got the tyres on and seated (very easy) its clear that they are no longer the over sized tyres they used to be! Still great tyres though. Will report back once rode them a few times.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I'd like to run a set of matte finish rims tubeless. Would thee be an advantage to asking for a gloss finish on the inner channel of the rims? Better sealing, or air tightness maybe?

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I'd like to run a set of matte finish rims tubeless. Would thee be an advantage to asking for a gloss finish on the inner channel of the rims? Better sealing, or air tightness maybe?

- Rob
    No.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    May 2010

re: my wheelsets....

Howdy,

Thought i'd put some useful feedback up here for everyone.
    I've got 2 sets of 30mm AM Carbon rims, 1set 32h on American Classics (1505g), and 1set 24h on Sun Ringle's (1475g).

I ordered them with 3k Matte finish, and Pillar 1420 spokes at the same time.
    ERD was 536mm on all 4 rims measured at multiple points.

They built up really easily, but would probably recommend using internal nipple washers, as they don't angle the internal nipple hole. So the nipples want to point straight out and not at the actual spoke angle.
    Example washers here: "bdopcycling.com/Pillar-Nipples and Washers.asp"
    Built them up with linseed oil, and tensioned to 120/160Kgf (disc/drive rear, and non-disc/disc front).

I've taken the american classic 32h set out in anger the other day, and gave them a good working over on a 10m loop, and some really rough DH runs.
    They've held their tension fine, although the nipples have now bedded into the rim at the correct spoke angle. Really really surprised how strong the pillar spokes have built up with the wheels!

Tubeless.........
    Now this was a right PITA, but they do work and work well.
    The biggest issue for me was the tyre not sealing initially due to the deep internal channel. I ended up making a rim strip out of a 20in tube cutting it into the right width. Once the rim strip was in the tyre was able to seal just enough to seat up on the bead correctly. (although I really really had to work at it with my track pump!!)
    This would be way easier it you actually used a correct rim strip, like the bontrager strip.
    I just used a bontrager tubeless bolt in presta valve and my bodged bmx tube.
    This may be easier with the non matte finish rim, but mine are running fine.

Tyres being used were: Schwable Fat Albert 2.4, and Nobby Nic 2.4 (tripple evo tubeless ready)

Pics of mine here: "scar4me.pinkbike.com/album/CarbonAMRims/"

Scar

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi,
    I am going to buy this rims but I am afraid of putting the tires on that rims. Now I am using Mavic XC 717 disc with tubes and Rocket Ron EVO (not tubeless). I have no problem to put them on or off without any tool. Will I have such problem with the new Chinese rims? Or is the problem only with tubeless tires?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by czarli View Post
    Hi,
    I am going to buy this rims but I am afraid of putting the tires on that rims. Now I am using Mavic XC 717 disc with tubes and Rocket Ron EVO (not tubeless). I have no problem to put them on or off without any tool. Will I have such problem with the new Chinese rims? Or is the problem only with tubeless tires?
    I struggled with Schwalbe Hans damph tyres, but had no problems mounting continental rubber queens which are ust tyres. Just keep pumping till they seat as the rims are definitely worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for answer. What about situation when I get a puncture on the trail (I'm using tubes)? Will it be possible to remove the tire? How is it difficult?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by czarli View Post
    Thanks for answer. What about situation when I get a puncture on the trail (I'm using tubes)? Will it be possible to remove the tire? How is it difficult?
    Treat it like any other tire and any other rim... Some combo's are easy to work with, some are hard. Bring the right tools.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Light Bicycle carbon Rims

I recently built up a pair of the 26" AM carbon rims with CK hubs and DT aerolite spokes. Easy build-more so than flow rims. They are very stiff and true having ridden them a few times. The rims appear to be very high quality. The rim also has a pronouced bead-not sure if this is a knockoff off stans or specialized but it looks like it will really hold a tire in a tubless setup. I used the bontranger rim strips instead of usual stand tape or gorilla tape and installed maxxis Ikon and Ardent tires (non tubeless ready but work great with stans rims). They inflated easily with no stans or soap using a compressor and held air without stans sealant. I was impressed. I have been running with stans sealant with zero problems. There was very little seepage upon first inflation-again very impressive tubelss compatability.

mtbr member
    What lenght nipple did anyone use 12mm or 14mm?

Also, I'm thinking of building with DT 240s 6 bolts DISC hub. What's the lenght for 3 cross as the calculator came up 259.2 left and 259.1 right and Sapim spoke range are 259mm and next size up is 261mm and also DT Swiss Revo range 259mm next size 260mm? I'm guessing order 259mm, can anyone advise?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used 12mm dt nipples.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer View Post
    What lenght nipple did anyone use 12mm or 14mm?

Also, I'm thinking of building with DT 240s 6 bolts DISC hub. What's the lenght for 3 cross as the calculator came up 259.2 left and 259.1 right and Sapim spoke range are 259mm and next size up is 261mm and also DT Swiss Revo range 259mm next size 260mm? I'm guessing order 259mm, can anyone advise?
    I couldn't tell if you had a preference for one spoke over the other, but 259mm AND 260mm w/12mm nipples would be fine. If you want the 259, and want extra peace of mind you could go with a 14mm nipple though its not necessary.

mtbr member
    Tag for interest

mtbr member
    May 2010

Set available for sale....

Just thought i'd post up here as if someone in the UK wants a set of these the set I made up for a mate is up for sale:
    scar4me.pinkbike.com

Would love to keep them along with my other set, but don't earn enough to get away with another bribe to the missus!

Scar

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scar4me View Post
    Just thought i'd post up here as if someone in the UK wants a set of these the set I made up for a mate is up for sale:
    scar4me.pinkbike.com

Would love to keep them along with my other set, but don't earn enough to get away with another bribe to the missus!

Scar
    I am interessted. I will contact you via PM.

obsessive
    Has anybody ordered these without holes in the inner channel? I'm thinking of placing nips with a magnet and a ferrous stub to drag them into place through the valve hole. For you guys who have built them, is there enough room in the cavity to accomplish this?
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    May 2010

undrilled inner...

I wouldn't advise it.
    I looked carefully at some of the spoke drillings, and some of them didn't have the cleanest finish on the inside edges, so might scupper you.

Easiest way to get them in would be fishing wire in through the nipple hole, out through the valve hole, put the nipple on, tia knot then pull it through.
    But again is risky, especially if there are any remnants of the internal bladder left over stuck in the inside of the rim.

Scar

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Has anybody ordered these without holes in the inner channel? I'm thinking of placing nips with a magnet and a ferrous stub to drag them into place through the valve hole. For you guys who have built them, is there enough room in the cavity to accomplish this?
    The normal way rims are drilled at manufacture is from the outside in. Do you know that their jig drills from the inside out? If not, they won't be able to do what you want.

obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    The normal way rims are drilled at manufacture is from the outside in. Do you know that their jig drills from the inside out? If not, they won't be able to do what you want.
    Earlier in the thread someone quoted "Nancy" as having that as an option. It doesn't sound too far fetched to me, considering the Chinese have been known to paint a poem on a grain of rice using a single human hair...
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    I built up the first of 4 wheels I will be building up with these rims. LB wide rim, Hadley 110x20 front hub, DT Swiss revolution spokes and alloy nipples. Wheel weighs 710 grams, once I added a stip of gorilla tape and a Stans valve the weight was 740.

I put on a used but lots of tread left Continental Trail King UST and it sealed up immediately without even using sealant. It probably helped that this tire has already been mounted on my old front wheel, I just used a little soapy water on the rim and bead.

Next will be building the rear wheel, also using a Hadley hub and DT spokes. Should get a ride on the front today, looking forward to it.

is RAD
    Has anyone switched from Stans Flows to this rim and noticed a change in stiffness?

I have Hope Pro II's with DT Revolution spokes on Stan's Flows and noticed a lot of flex, so I have retired them to my commuter. I'm wondering that if I change out the flows for these carbon rims I will notice an improvement in stiffness? or do I need to go to a thicker spoke?

Mr. Knowitall
    If your flows were flexy with revo, I guess they aren't tensioned enough. My Flows on CX ray are very stiff. Thicker spokes do not necessarily mean stiffer. On the contrary. I have problems building stiff wheels with thick spokes

Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast