Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
    Dirt Bike Craig
    I did in fact try that. I literally spent a total of 10 hours over 3 days trying everything I could think of
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    the rims I ordered just came in. I didn't want to wait so I just asked for 2 of the lighter rims they had in stock. They weigh 375 grams each.
    I measured the ERD to be 538 using the method described in Roger Musson's e-book.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ended up putting 3 rounds of 21mm Stan's Yellow Tape in the middle of the rim, and one round of 25mm tape. That made it easy to get tires to inflate. Some tires have been pretty hard to seat all they way around, I solved that by rubbing some Stan's Sealant on the rim, since I was going to use that regardless. Worked like a charm, Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 popped on at 40 psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There really arent a ton of pictures of these rims so I took some. Overall I'm pretty happy with the rims so far, they aren't perfect but they look to be good. They also aren't perfectly true, if I set one rim on top of the other there is a small gap (1mm maybe) between an 8 inch or so section of the rims. If they were perfect they should fit perfectly flush.

I got 4 rims, 1x32 hole, 3x28 hole. No special instructions except to make sure they are good quality. I didn't ask for heavy rims or light rims but as you can see all are overweight. All are unidirectional matte.

I measured ERD as accurately as I could. I used the method described in Roger Musson's Professional Guide to Wheel Building which is to cut two spokes down to 200mm in length (this makes it easier to put in and take out of the rims which makes the process faster) thread them into the nipples (I used Sapim Polyax 14mm nipples) until the spoke is flush with the notch in the nipple and glue (I used green loctite) them in place. I placed the rims on a table with a stack of printer paper in the middle such that the spokes could rest on the paper without drooping down at all (thus affecting the measurement). I then inserted them into the rims opposite each other and using an 18" ruler lined them up with the straight edge and read measurements into an excel document where I calculated the ERD. Below is a picture of all the ERD measurements I took and the average. As you can see I took half of the possible measurements (8 for the 32h, 7 for 28h) which was probably overkill. I was as meticulous as possible.

As you can see my ERD measurement is longer than everyone else's that I've seen but I'm probably using different nipples and I suppose the way the head is constructed may have some effect on the measurement. The quoted ERD is 385 so I'm glad I measured mine. I ordered Sapim CX-Rays to go with my extralite hyperfront 15qr 28h, DT 240s 28h centerlock 142x12, and Powertap MTB Disc 32h older carbon fiber version. The DT will shed 10g when I put the new star ratchet in.

The spokes I am getting are all Sapim CX-Ray:
    1. 258mm black j-bend for 3 cross for powertap (both sides same length)
    2. 254mm black j-bend for 2 cross drive side for DT 240s
    3. 258mm black j-bend for 2 cross disc side for DT 240s
    4. 254mm black straight pull for radial drive side for Extralite hyperfront 15qr
    5. 272mm black straight pull for 3 cross disc side for Extralite hyperfront 15qr

Here are way more high res shots I took to show the details of the rims, you can click on this link to get to the additional full sized pictures.

This one you can see that the inner layer is 3k carbon:

Here you can see the finish isn't completely uniform, but it looks good!

One of the joints? I wonder if there is a piece of something in there like they do on aluminum rims or if it's just bonded together:

Whole rim:

This is the box shaped mark in the rims, other people were speculating that this is what was used to take the bladders out:
    Last edited by litany; 08-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow good Job litany! Talk about being thorough. I used the same measuring method and same nipple as you and I measured my 2 rims out to be about 538, 539 so I just used 538.5 in the wheel pro calculator. I just placed an order for 258mm spokes for the rear( wtb super duty) and 260mm spokes for the front(hope pro II). So excited to build my first wheelset but also kind of nervous about spoke length and also worried about possible issues with tubeless mounting like some other forum members are having

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    Just wrote another email asking how this can be resolved & got this response. It doesn't seem like they're willing to do anything else to make the customer happy.

"We have also done some building tyre on rims today, and find the tyre will fit the rims well if it is about 5hours later. You can build the typre on rims, and do air pressure in it. Then leave it there for a few hours. Then check it at last.

Currently, we still haven't found the problem, and our engineers are checking with mold and the rims on production line also. We will let you know when we find out the cause.

Sorry for bringing you so much inconvience.

Thanks,
    Nancy"
    Any updates or resolution to your issues?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I did in fact try that. I literally spent a total of 10 hours over 3 days trying everything I could think of
    I haven't read all of your posts (quite a lot!) but sounds like the inner channel on the rim is catching and stopping the bead popping out to the rim. Have you tried adding a thin amount of tape (gorilla tape would be fine) to just the inner channel and then using the full width tape over the top?

It'd make the ridge much less pronounced but be careful not to add too much otherwise it'll be tough to get the tyre on to begin with. Again use plenty of soapy water and it should pop on after about 45psi.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNug View Post
    I haven't read all of your posts (quite a lot!) but sounds like the inner channel on the rim is catching and stopping the bead popping out to the rim. Have you tried adding a thin amount of tape (gorilla tape would be fine) to just the inner channel and then using the full width tape over the top?

It'd make the ridge much less pronounced but be careful not to add too much otherwise it'll be tough to get the tyre on to begin with. Again use plenty of soapy water and it should pop on after about 45psi.
    Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh... you need to read his post completely.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh... you need to read his post completely.
    Helpful... Which post ? I've seen hat he's tried rhythm strips, stans and yellow tape - all of which either accentuate the problem of the deep ridged middle channel or keep it the same.

I don't think I've seen him try just padding out the channel slightly.

FWIW both my rims measure up as 562mm diameter and I've seated mine using the method stated with a LUST high roller and a continental x king 2 ust...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Going to purchase some of these, but before I do I have just a couple of questions: I weigh around 200-210 pounds kitted out and ready to ride, The type of riding I do is in the middle of xc and AM with rocky sections and 3-4 foot drops (I don't do jumps as can't!!) I tend to ride quite hard (clumsy!) trying to leave the brakes alone as prefer to crash through rock gardens, rooty sections and river crossings. With all this in mind which rim would be the better choice between the beefed up version or the normal weight version? ( I currently run stans Arch rims and can see/feel the flex) Also which is considered the sexier finish?
    Cheers in advance for any responses
    Last edited by ruscle; 08-26-2012 at 04:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    Going to purchase some of these, but before I do I have just a couple of questions: I weigh around 200-210 pounds kitted out and ready to ride, The type of riding I do is in the middle of xc and AM with rocky sections and 3-4 foot drops (I don't do jumps as can't!!) I tend to ride quite hard (clumsy!) trying to leave the brakes alone as prefer to crash through rock gardens, rooty sections and river crossings. With all this in mind which rim would be the better choice between the beefed up version or the normal weight version? ( I currently run stans Arch rims and can see/feel the flex) Also which is considered the sexier finish?
    Cheers in advance for any responses
    That sums up me and my riding (about 10lbs lighter) and I am running the normal weight after debating which I should buy.

I have no complaints. These things are bombproof after 400km of riding. I am using them tubeless with ardent 2.25's at 24ish psi. I rode down a trail yesterday with sharp and loose babyheads at speed and heard a sound that I have never heard before. I assumed I was bottoming out the tire onto the rim and that was the sound of carbon hitting rock. I checked the wheels when i finally got through it and slowed down. No marks, cracks or burped sealant.
    FInish is a personal preference, I think. I have the matte finish and they seem to scuff an scratch pretty easy, easier than my old black Flow rims but i prefer the matter to gloss.
    Compared to your Arches, you will notice a big difference in stiffness.
    Last edited by Gunnar-man; 08-26-2012 at 08:50 AM.

RideDirt
    Damn see im on the fence too about this ... I love riding in rock gardens and hitting some small drops ... Hmmm .. Decisions

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Gunnar-man - Standard weight rims or did you get heavier ones?

QUOTE=Gunnar-man;9628941]That sums up me and my riding (about 10lbs lighter) and I am running the normal weight after debating which I should buy.

I have no complaints. These things are bombproof after 400km of riding. I am using them tubeless with ardent 2.25's at 24ish psi. I rode down a trail yesterday with sharp and loose babyheads at speed and heard a sound that I have never heard before. I assumed I was bottoming out the tire onto the rim and that was the sound of carbon hitting rock. I checked the wheels when i finally got through it and slowed down. No marks, cracks or burped sealant.
    FInish is a personal preference, I think. I have the matte finish and they seem to scuff an scratch pretty easy, easier than my old black Flow rims but i prefer the matter to gloss.
    Compared to your Arches, you will notice a big difference in stiffness.[/QUOTE]
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking at the web site they only have matte in stock in either 3k or UD and the in stock weights are between 381g-389g so the decision is quite easy as they are all about in the middle of standard and the beefy ones.
    Last edited by ruscle; 08-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Gunnar-man - Standard weight rims or did you get heavier ones?

QUOTE=Gunnar-man;9628941]That sums up me and my riding (about 10lbs lighter) and I am running the normal weight after debating which I should buy.

Compared to your Arches, you will notice a big difference in stiffness.
    [/QUOTE]

I went standard weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went with the 3K finish. They only make them between 370g-380g, seems the UD finish always comes out heavier as they suggest I went with those if I wanted the weight around 390g. I just asked them to pick out 2 rims at 380g as thought the 10g difference won't be all that in strength and the 3K finish is meant to be minimally stronger. The other main reason for wanting a little more weight was to increase the ERD as want to just swap rims on existing wheels and the ERD is 540mm on present rims. Looking at the post above with listed ERD's I should be ok. I will post picks and weights once they arrive in just over a week hopefully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I went with the 3K finish. They only make them between 370g-380g, seems the UD finish always comes out heavier as they suggest I went with those if I wanted the weight around 390g. I just asked them to pick out 2 rims at 380g as thought the 10g difference won't be all that in strength and the 3K finish is meant to be minimally stronger. The other main reason for wanting a little more weight was to increase the ERD as want to just swap rims on existing wheels and the ERD is 540mm on present rims. Looking at the post above with listed ERD's I should be ok. I will post picks and weights once they arrive in just over a week hopefully.
    I got mine last Wednesday. It took 4 days to get to California from China.
    I measured the ERD out to be about 538-539 so if you are swapping with 540 rims it should be really close.

Oh and these rims have the same external/internal width and rim profile as the 29er version. The only difference is the diameter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    They quoted same amount of days to get to the UK so should have them by end of next week. What weight did yours come out at pwu_1? if between 538-539 ERD then I should be OK, spokes only come in evens so can't see a problem as got them on the short side for previous rims.

Dirt Bike Craig
    The last response I got from Nancy was that they were checking and couldn't find the problem. She also noted that they do not have tubeless tires over there. I haven't received any response for a few days which makes me think I am getting screwed on the deal.

Also, why is there so much variation in the ERD?
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They quoted same amount of days to get to the UK so should have them by end of next week. What weight did yours come out at pwu_1? if between 538-539 ERD then I should be OK, spokes only come in evens so can't see a problem as got them on the short side for previous rims.
    Their website shows the rims they have in stock so I just picked out 2 3k matte rims that were the lightest of the bunch. The website says they weigh 375 grams.
    I weighed them when they arrived and they are 375grams according to my scale too.

Yeah this variation on the ERD has me kind of nervous too. Not sure if they are changing the process as they get more experience at making these rims or if they are basically not able to control the quality so there is a lot of variation in sizes.
    Personally, I think its the latter case. The big carbon rim sellers like Enve, Roval, etc probably has just as much variation except their QA process probably rejects a lot more rims than a small company like light-bicycle.
    The end result is that for the lower price, we as the end user sometimes get product that would have otherwise been rejected during the QA process.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The last response I got from Nancy was that they were checking and couldn't find the problem. She also noted that they do not have tubeless tires over there. I haven't received any response for a few days which makes me think I am getting screwed on the deal.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but if these were my wheels and I can't get light-bicycle to take them back or replace them, as a last resort, I might take some sand paper to the raised channel and sand off just a little bit of material to see if I can get the bead to seat.
    But like I said, I don't know if this is a good idea or if it is even possible...but yeah looking at the rims that I received, it looks like it was sanded at the factory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

What variation are you talking about? Between earlier rims and current ones?
    Months ago people were reporting like 536 and more recently it seems to be 538-539. My 4 rims were fairly consistent but the drilling is probably the least consistent part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My wheels are built up.

DT 350 hubs with the 36 POE upgrade
    DT supercomp Spokes

Mounted a tire up with a tube and everything went well except for one spot on the back.

I can't remember if this spot was present on the wheel before it was built up or not. I don't feel any ridges; so it may just be cosmetic. I will give a ride and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Probably human measuring error.

Side note, I was mounting up a new WTB Mutano TCS(same in some of your pics?) tire on my rear rim, set up Ghetto tubeless(even more material for the bead to pop over). First attempt I had the same approx 8" "non seat" like your pictures show. Let the air out, squirted some pure dish soap in there, inflated to 40psi, and let the tire sit. Hour later came back and all was seated fine.
    Bend, Oregon

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    My wheels are built up.

DT 350 hubs with the 36 POE upgrade
    DT supercomp Spokes

Mounted a tire up with a tube and everything went well except for one spot on the back.

I can't remember if this spot was present on the wheel before it was built up or not. I don't feel any ridges; so it may just be cosmetic. I will give a ride and see what happens.
    What sizes are your DT 350s and what do your wheels weigh? I'm thinking about building a set with those hubs.

Are those the 3k matted or do they have a clear coat on them?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast