Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1796
    Huckin' trails

26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Are 14mm nipples gonna work with the new DH rims for blind lacing ? Thats all they have in black brass and I'd like to know if I need to order some 12mm ones from somewhere else instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

bike rider
    They probably fit but it's gonna make it a little harder to flip the nipple up and have it slide down into the hole. I used shift cable because it has a little more stiffness than fishing line for pushing around. However, that makes it form a bend above the nipple as you're flipping it and that bend will bump into the rim bed. Maybe enough to make it difficult to get the nipple to fall through, maybe not. Regardless, 14mm brass nips are gonna be heavy.
    Keep the Country country.

Huckin' trails

Thanks, I think I'll end up ordering 12mm ones too, probably DT.

I got the invoice this morning, have to wait till lunch time when I'm back from work to pay. I'm pretty excited about this and I have to say Nancy did a very nice job on the invoice, everything look perfect, down to name of the guy who's gonna mold the carbon and 3 of his cousins

I hope it stays that way. Those rims are gonna be huge, I can't imagine how stiff the wheel will be with 30mm of rim height. You guys are lucky to be already riding these haha
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Re: 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    They are not making the 35mm version. That was their original intention when they announced on the site to make a DH rim, but overwhelming response was to make a 33x30, so that's what they put into production. At least that's my understanding....
    I see, are they shipping yet? And do they require blind lacing

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Are 14mm nipples gonna work with the new DH rims for blind lacing ? Thats all they have in black brass and I'd like to know if I need to order some 12mm ones from somewhere else instead.

Thanks
    You're gonna have a hell of a time getting 14mm nipples down each hole. Make your life easy and stick with 12mm.

Huckin' trails

You're gonna have a hell of a time getting 14mm nipples down each hole. Make your life easy and stick with 12mm.
    Yeah, I'm gonna place an order for black and gold brass nipples tomorrow, all 12mm. I'll simply have a spare bag of 72 14mm black brass nipples for another build. They charged me about $1.65 per spoke for the Pillar PSR X-TRA 1420 black spokes, so $118 total. Not bad considering the best online price I've seen for these was $16-$18 for a set of 8 spokes. Then $0.03 each nipple. Overall i'd say I had quite a fair deal on these wheels for money vs weight vs bling factor. The hubset is almost 700g, so that's why I get heavier than Lelandjt, but rims are lighter by 40-50g each. At some point you can't really get any better than this without topping out the budget.

bike rider
    You guys are lucky to be already riding these haha
    I've already raced them, twice. 2nd and 5th in Pro DH races at Winter Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Need to see some pics.

Huckin' trails

Thats right, we need some pics ! I just spent a few $$$ on carbon rims I never saw at all except for the profile diagram drawing !

Rims should be molded and drilled in less than 24 hours now.

Lelandjt, perhaps you could ask LB for a sponsorship and get pro deals on their wheels if you're pretty good at racing

banned
    Aug 2013
    Are all the rims pretty much for xc if not can someone point me in the right direction

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmb2erl3dn View Post
    Are all the rims pretty much for xc?
    Definitely not just for XC. I've been racing Pro Enduro for 8 months on a set of their AM rims (including a top 30 at a World Enduro round) and Pro DH for 1 week on the DH width rims
    Here's my DH wheelset:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim-wheels-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Definitely not just for XC. I've been racing Pro Enduro for 8 months on a set of their AM rims (including a top 30 at a World Enduro round) and Pro DH for 1 week on the DH width rims
    Here's my DH wheelset:
    Man I can't wait until they make those in 275

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Re: 26in chinese carbon all mountain rim

Here's my DH wheelset:
    Have you tried running tubeless on these?

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2

bike rider
    Yes, always tubeless.

Huckin' trails

Well I just ordered the only 12mm gold brass nipples available on the whole Internet that are actually color-coated, not painted, at $17 for 75pcs. And it's gonna take a freaking month or more to get them delivered from Taiwan, so not before mid-September. Meanwhile I'll get some black ones, 12mm at wholesale from my bike shop job. Little bummer as I won't be able to get this wheelset on the bike till I get the gold nipples, but at least I'll get to put it together with the black nipples meanwhile to double-check the spoke lengths they sent me and if all the rims are alright and no issue.

Who else has found 12mm gold brass nipples, 14g, for their built here ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...Who else has found 12mm gold brass nipples, 14g, for their built here ?
    There's very little demand for coloured brass nips. I haven't built a wheelset with brass nips in over 14 years. People that want the bling factor will go for alu anodized and you get the weight savings as a bonus. If the spokes engage the nipple heads properly (ie. you've got the spoke length calcs right) then an alu nipple will be stronger than any spoke you use. Being anodized you should not have any corrosion issues.

Personally, I always go for plain alu nipples. They sometimes come with the spokes or I buy the dt swiss 12mm versions in boxes of 100. Colour is not performance enhancing.

mtbr member
    Got my DH rims on Friday. Both come in at 33 x 30. Haven't measured ERD yet (I don't have any spokes laying around, so I'll need to figure out another way).

Good quality work IMHO. Fit and finish are very nice. I took some pics, but I don't use site hosts so I can't post them up, sorry (if you PM me and send me your email address I can send them out that way). I'm quite happy with them thus far, and quite anxious to get my measurements done so I can start ordering spokes and nipples and get them built up.

@above: I also have no holes drilled on rim bed. That's all you gotta say, "don't drill holes on the rim bed, only the nipple holes."
    So I just ordered a pair w/o the holes in the bed and was just thinking how do you do the nipples? Is it a special type of nipple that expands or something? I saw that you needed 12mm nipples but how do you get them in the rim?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Colour is not performance enhancing.
    False.

Red is faster.

/scienced

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just curious for those of you using these new DH rims. Any experience with various tires setting up tubeless? What is working well? Are there tires that are not working well?

bike rider
    ^The rims have a proper channel and shoulder profile so they should work well tubeless with any tire. I've been using 2.7" Minions. Inflation was near instant with the valve core removed using a compressor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks, I only ask as some tires can be "looser" than others. IMHO, achieving a good tubeless setup can vary, and require sometimes multiple rolls of tape, or rim strips to get a good seal. Just trying to get an idea of what tires work without adding a bunch of **** to the rim.

Huckin' trails

There's very little demand for coloured brass nips. I haven't built a wheelset with brass nips in over 14 years. People that want the bling factor will go for alu anodized and you get the weight savings as a bonus. If the spokes engage the nipple heads properly (ie. you've got the spoke length calcs right) then an alu nipple will be stronger than any spoke you use. Being anodized you should not have any corrosion issues.

Personally, I always go for plain alu nipples. They sometimes come with the spokes or I buy the dt swiss 12mm versions in boxes of 100. Colour is not performance enhancing.
    I would have gone with alloy ones if it wasn't for the fact I live in a very wet and corrosion enhancing environment and will also ride these during winter, and while I have zero experience yet with major carbon parts like these rims, I decided to stay safe and use brass nipples all around because of the corrosion chance. Yes it's gonna be a bit heavier, but I'm no racer or strava junky and honestly I won't notice the difference, climbing will still suck no matter what. Plus gold and black is very classy and I like the fact that I won't have to worry about any corrosion or axle compatibility forever with these.

How many carbon rims have you built yet with the alloy nipples ?

Maromero
    How many carbon rims have you built yet with the alloy nipples ?
    Also for how long and what brand? (nippples and rims)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    False.

Red is faster.

/scienced
    This^^^

And black is invisible.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^The rims have a proper channel and shoulder profile so they should work well tubeless with any tire. I've been using 2.7" Minions. Inflation was near instant with the valve core removed using a compressor.
    The profile does look tubeless compatible. I just wish someone would figure out how to do tubeless with a floor pump and not have the brand be Mavic.

I'm not sure if it's Mavics square channel or what, but the I23 and Easton carbons I have done needed a compressor.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Also for how long and what brand? (nippples and rims)
    I've built about 14 wheels using carbon rims and alloy nips. The first one about 10 months ago. Rims are from Light Bicycle and some road rims I got off ebay. Always DT spokes and nips. So far no failures. The first MTN pair I built with brass nips* cuz I was concerned about the very high spoke tension but then the DT & LB reps told me alloy should be fine so I switched back.

*Actually that's the only failure I've experienced. While flipping the bike around to walk uphill I hit the front wheel sideways on the ground. The threads popped out of a brass nipple. DT rep said alloy has harder/stronger threads.

Maromero
    Lelandjt, the reason I ask is because I'm about to build a light wheelset with LB rims and I'm somehow concerned about the corrosion issues shown with others (Enve).
    So, no galvanic corrosion on your builds? Even using the "satanized" alloy nips?
    Also, forgive mi for hi-jacking the thread, since this is not about carbon AM rim.

Huckin' trails

That's also why I went the brass way for mines. I don't want to find out on my own if galvanic corrosion will happen or not on my rims.

bike rider
    I think there's enough theoretical reason to be afraid of galvanic corrosion but the only examples I've heard of in the real world are the non-anodized nipples used in Enve wheels. I haven't seen or heard of someone having problems using DT nips with Chinese carbon rims. I don't want to bet my life on this advice but after pulling the threads out of a brass nip and having both Light Bicycle and DT tell me to use alloy that's what I'm doing unless a customer insists on brass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ten months is hardly enough time to judge whether it is an issue or not. a few of those nipples could be corroding as we speak, but unseen. carbon wheels are pretty new, so we probably don't have a big enough sample size of carbon wheels built with al nipples, that are old enough. i suppose that if the wheel is rebuilt, it would be more apparent too.

one of my wheels (not carbon) is now 9 years old. it has only ever broken one spoke on it, and i don't think i've had anyone look at it (truing/retensioning) for the last 5. maybe i'm a bit light on wheels, or maybe it was just a really good wheelbuilder, or i just get them overbuilt (32 cx-rays on an xc wheel). I can count on one hand how many rims have failed - almost all my wheels exit via a sale (either wheel-only, or on a bike).

My point is, I personally am used to my wheels lasting a long time - however, sometimes i wish they didn't (harder to justify upgrading). I certainly wouldn't be happy having some corrosion spoil my wheel (unless it is just a simple nipple replace job, not ruining the rim or spoke???) after, say, 3 years of using it. I have a few bikes, and don't use any one bike that much (other than the commuter), so i'd hate for it to be deteriorating while just sitting there.

other people might use the one set of wheels every weekend and/or regularly smash them on rocky downhills, and are used to re-building reasonably often. not me though.

my opinion would be that, until we have more info on the likelihood of anno al nips corroding on carbon rims, be prepared to rebuild your wheels every couple of years, or get brass nipples.

having said all this, i got a dt-swiss carbon wheelset a little while ago. just now, it has crossed my mind that it probably has al nipples in it.

Maromero
    I wonder what nips DT, Reynolds and Spesh are using on their carbon wheelsets.
    Seems like they use DT hex prolocks alloy and haven't heard of problems with those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...How many carbon rims have you built yet with the alloy nipples ?
    A grand total of zero. I haven't built any with brass nipples either.

I can't comment on the galvanic corrosion issue either as I've never seen it first hand, but by now there would have to be many thousands of carbon wheelsets with alu nips (including road ones that are ridden in winter on salted wet roads). Is anyone a member of any roaddie forums where nipple corrosion has come up?

bike rider
    ^Before I started building Chinese carbon road rims I started following the equivalent of this thread on the RBR forum. No mention of corrosion. I've only seen it mentioned in relation to Enve MTB wheels. Odd since you'd assume Enve uses the same nipples in their road & mtb builds.

mtbr member
    So all you guys with w/o holes in the beds. How in the world do you get the nipples in? Are you fishing them in through the valve hole?

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    So all you guys with w/o holes in the beds. How in the world do you get the nipples in? Are you fishing them in through the valve hole?
    Bravo ! You just figured it out. I didn't answered your previous post about this because it was all discussed only a few posts ago.

You insert them through the valve hole, then how you get them out by the spoke holes is totally up to you.

mtbr member
    Bravo ! You just figured it out. I didn't answered your previous post about this because it was all discussed only a few posts ago.

You insert them through the valve hole, then how you get them out by the spoke holes is totally up to you.
    Ah. I didn't see that discussion. Thanks for verifying. Looks like a 6 beer kind of job.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Ah. I didn't see that discussion. Thanks for verifying. Looks like a 6 beer kind of job.
    Just be aware, drinking beer might make it go smoother, but in reality you're probably gonna end up drunk as sh#t from keeping messing up the job and drinking more beers.

I would suggest a good seat, great music and a quiet work environment. The wife may be jealous though if you get drunk playing with nipples for hours, so make sure she gets some lovin' too once you're done

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just be aware, drinking beer might make it go smoother, but in reality you're probably gonna end up drunk as sh#t from keeping messing up the job and drinking more beers.

I would suggest a good seat, great music and a quiet work environment. The wife may be jealous though if you get drunk playing with nipples for hours, so make sure she gets some lovin' too once you're done
    Fulcrum brags about using a magnet to get their nips through the valve hole and to the spoke hole.

I like the idea, but what part of their nip is magnetic? I think 4xx series stainless is, but that's kind of expensive.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Fulcrum brags about using a magnet to get their nips through the valve hole and to the spoke hole.

I like the idea, but what part of their nip is magnetic? I think 4xx series stainless is, but that's kind of expensive.
    They have a little nub that screws in to the nip that is ferrous.

Huckin' trails

They use a little magnet that threads into the nipple and you use the bigger magnet to move the package around.

Btw, from an email conversation with John Neugent, owner and founder of Neuvation Wheels, about corrosion issues with alloy nipples and carbon rims, and this is what he had to say when I told him that Enve MTB wheels were the only carbon rims having corrosion issues so far :

FYI, Enve has recently moved away from alloy nipples to some type of metal. It's not clear if it's brass or titanium. Titanium would fix the problem but be pretty expensive.

Thanks - John
    I think I'm gonna go with alloy nipples at first and see how they do, but still keep all my brass equivalent handy just in case I get bad luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ti nipples might be a good idea. They are not as expensive as you'd think (from memory around $1 a nip). A guy I know imports them into Aust - titanwheeltech titanium nipples. I have not used them personally, but maybe that's the way to go to fight the corrosion issue.

Huckin' trails

Ti nipples might be a good idea. They are not as expensive as you'd think (from memory around $1 a nip). A guy I know imports them into Aust - titanwheeltech titanium nipples. I have not used them personally, but maybe that's the way to go to fight the corrosion issue.
    He also mentioned that Enve seemed to have been using non-anodized nipples too if I remember. Stainless steel nipples are available too.

What about Pillar new M-Power alloy nipples ? They claim to have made some sort of hard anodized alloy nipples that are stronger than brass, yet light as alloy, and of course would be corrosion resistant ? Only available in silver or black for now though.

bike rider
    For the first time since I started using carbon rims I hit one hard on a rock. I may have bumped one before but during my race run yesterday while running 28psi in a 2.5" DHF Exo I hit the front rim hard enouh to hear and feel that sickening thud of rim bottoming out against rock. At the bottom I examined it and couldn't even see a mark. This is about the hardest that I ever hit rims so I'm pretty optimistic that carbon will have no problem holding up to my riding. It was a 380g version of LB's AM rim.

Huckin' trails

Well one batch of the new DH rim just got finished, now going under QC. Which means my wheelset should be shipped in the next days and hopefully I will get the booty before just on time for my b-day this September ! Guess you can call it a gift from myself

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone seen a weight for the 26 wheels built up with sapim CX ray spokes and DT swiss 240 hubs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I posted mine previously in this thread with cx-rays, dt240 rear and polyax nipples. I went with an extralite front hub though.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Has anyone seen a weight for the 26 wheels built up with sapim CX ray spokes and DT swiss 240 hubs?
    I've built 2 sets with 240s and Aerolite spokes (same as CX-rays). The DH set with 430g rims and 157mm/20mm hubs weighed 1600g. The AM set with 340g rims and 142mm/20mm hubs weighed 1400g.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've built 2 sets with 240s and Aerolite spokes (same as CX-rays). The DH set with 430g rims and 157mm/20mm hubs weighed 1600g. The AM set with 340g rims and 142mm/20mm hubs weighed 1400g.
    Thank you for the info guys, I am really torn between the new wider rims and a set of the syntace W35's. The W35's will way close to 200grams more but they will be almost $400 cheaper and have a 10 year warranty.

For me to have the carbon ones built up using sapim spokes and dt swiss hubs it is $845 plus the $400 for the rims. Just seems pricey.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Thank you for the info guys, I am really torn between the new wider rims and a set of the syntace W35's. The W35's will way close to 200grams more but they will be almost $400 cheaper and have a 10 year warranty.

For me to have the carbon ones built up using sapim spokes and dt swiss hubs it is $845 plus the $400 for the rims. Just seems pricey.
    That's cuz you're getting really expensive hubs and spokes. Drop down to DT Comp 14/15 butted spokes. There's plenty of way cheaper similar weight front hubs. Use an AmClassic rear hub. Stick with the carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's cuz you're getting really expensive hubs and spokes. Drop down to DT Comp 14/15 butted spokes. There's plenty of way cheaper similar weight front hubs. Use an AmClassic rear hub. Stick with the carbon rims.
    Any recommendation on a front hub that is 110mm by 20mm and around the same weight?