mtbr member
    Jul 2013

26er - Tires for older/skinner rims

I'm getting back into riding and I've started the maintenance process on my trusty old ride (01 M80).

Everything on the bike is in good condition except for the WTB velociraptors (26x1.9) are pretty well worn. (XC, Trail, hardpack)

I've been looking for a new set of WTBs but times have changed and I can't seem to find that size for the stock vuelta vision rims.

Q1: Does anyone happen to know if a 2.0/.10 will work with these rims, without causing pre-mature wear down the center?

Q2: What other brand would be similar in wear and performance in this size?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Pretty much any 26x2.0 is going to work just fine. I believe the Velociraptor is still in production but only in 26x2.1 which may not fit the frame, but still should be fine on the wheels. Air up your tires and check the clearance carefully at the brake bridge and lower rear triangle.

I run 26x2.0 Conti Race King on my 1990 Trek 830 which has stock wheels. I rarely ride the bike and I picked the Conti just for grins.

For what you described, I'd use a Geax Sagauro 26x2.0. It is not oversized and should fit, and it has good grip provided you don't ride in rain or mud. It's a dramatic improvement over the Velociraptor IMHO.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by YelloSub View Post
    I'm getting back into riding and I've started the maintenance process on my trusty old ride (01 M80).

Everything on the bike is in good condition except for the WTB velociraptors (26x1.9) are pretty well worn. (XC, Trail, hardpack)

I've been looking for a new set of WTBs but times have changed and I can't seem to find that size for the stock vuelta vision rims.

Q1: Does anyone happen to know if a 2.0/.10 will work with these rims, without causing pre-mature wear down the center?

Q2: What other brand would be similar in wear and performance in this size?

Thanks!
    You are limited by frame/fork clearance, not rim width. Any tire that fits the bike will work on the rims. The tire width has nothing to do with how they wear.

There are many, much better tires than the Vraptors. At this point, their main strength is the tread durability, but the hard rubber is also fairly slippery compared to current tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the quick response and the suggestions! Geax looks to be a good replacement, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by YelloSub View Post
    Thanks for the quick response and the suggestions! Geax looks to be a good replacement, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kenda Excavator 1.95 or 2.10
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common