mtbr member

26" XC/Trail wheelset recommendation

I just bought a Yeti ASR-5 frame and have started the process of building it up. I've decided on most components but I haven't given a thought to the wheels yet.

On the riding spectrum of XC > Trail > All Mountain > Freeride, I'm in the XC/Trail area. I like climbing, so I'm always going to want something light. I'm not a jumper nor do I take big drops. At 47, I'm the guy for whom all those bypasses were built

The three initial options I came up with were:

Mavic Crossmax ST (1600g, $550)
    DT Swiss x1600 (1620g, $600?)
    Easton EA70 XT (1800g, $380)

I like the Crossmax solely because of the appearance and the weight. But I know there are LOTS of other options out there that I haven't considered.

I'm also planning to go with tubes but could be talked into tubeless.

Recommendations? Are there online retailers that consistently give good prices with lots of choices?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd also consider Stan's wheelsets as well.

Specifically, I'd opt for the ZTR Arch EX wheelset. Very light, nice wide rim, support for XX1, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check out the WTB i19 and i23 rims. Relatively cheap and light and can be built with your choice of hubs and spokes. Pretty strong and tubeless ready. I built up a set of i23's with Hope hubs and dt swiss spokes. After all was done I paid a little over $400.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I just bought a Yeti ASR-5 frame and have started the process of building it up. I've decided on most components but I haven't given a thought to the wheels yet.

On the riding spectrum of XC > Trail > All Mountain > Freeride, I'm in the XC/Trail area. I like climbing, so I'm always going to want something light. I'm not a jumper nor do I take big drops. At 47, I'm the guy for whom all those bypasses were built

The three initial options I came up with were:

Mavic Crossmax ST (1600g, $550)
    DT Swiss x1600 (1620g, $600?)
    Easton EA70 XT (1800g, $380)

I like the Crossmax solely because of the appearance and the weight. But I know there are LOTS of other options out there that I haven't considered.

I'm also planning to go with tubes but could be talked into tubeless.

Recommendations? Are there online retailers that consistently give good prices with lots of choices?
    I just recently bought a pair of crossmax St's. I would highly recommended them. They have made an unbelievable difference on the ride and feel of my bike. They are super stiff, track well, and make my bike a rocket. Only downside is that I have very limited time on them. Only time will tell of their durability and how much adjustments will be required. I love my crossmax st's so far. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Check out the WTB i19 and i23 rims. Relatively cheap and light and can be built with your choice of hubs and spokes. Pretty strong and tubeless ready. I built up a set of i23's with Hope hubs and dt swiss spokes. After all was done I paid a little over $400.
    Where'd you get them? I see the rims on the WTB site but no where to get them built.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.