mtbr member

26" enduro carbon wheels with tubeless?

Hi All,

I'm soon looking to build up my new rig and have been looking at carbon rims.

I like the enve, but am told that to tighten the spokes the tyre has to come off.

So My LBS offered me some DT Swiss EXC 1550s as an alternative, but they dont recommend tubeless.

I've been running tubeless for years on my allmountain and mini-DH rig, so wondered if there are other options out there?

Or maybe i'll just forget carbon and go for some more EX1750s as i have on my SS2 (which Are great)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Bump

Formerly of Kent
    If for some reason you put a pair of Enve rims out of true, I suspect removing the tire will be the least of your problems.

mtbr member
    Very true yes.

Ive been running a set of Crossmax SXs for 2yrs without issue and some DT Swiss EX 1750s for a year and never had to touch either.

Is it normal that spokes require tightening from time to time? (lbs usually does my spanner work so I don't know)

MarkyMark
    Reynolds Carbon AM

The rim is tubeless compatible and the hubs and spokes are all standard. There's no funky proprietary system so both are readily replaceable, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey View Post
    I'm soon looking to build up my new rig and have been looking at carbon rims.

I like the enve, but am told that to tighten the spokes the tyre has to come off.

mtbr member
    I picked up a set of the EXC1550's from your LBS last week. Can't speak about longevity yet but I reckon they will hold their true better than my EX1750s which I have managed to get out of line a few times.

For truing I always remove the tyre anyway. It's possible to do a lateral true on most wheels without removing the tyre but it's much easier to test for roundness on just the rim so in my book having to remove the tyre to true the wheel is a non issue.

I also don't see why it would be a problem to set them up tubeless. I run tubes but don't see any reason why the rims would be any different to setting up tubeless to the 1750's.

Will let you know when I manage to trash them.