mtbr member
    Jul 2006

24" disk wheels for my son's Mtn bike -- custom?

I want to convert my son's 24" specialized hotrock mountain bike to disk brakes, hopefully without adding too much weight.

Don't seen any factory wheels available so I guess I would need to have them made.

The frame and fork have standard (100/135mm) spacing,

The kid is super light (maybe 75lbs) so a lightweight build would likely be durable enough.

Can anyone suggest a builder?

Any input on hubs, rims and spokes?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would concur, that is a special order. QBP laces custom wheels, so talk to a bike shop near you, and see what they will charge (QBP's rates are qute reasonable, from what I remember the last time I was in the book, but it'll come down to what the shop is going to charge you for the 'finished' product).

Just about any BMX rim would be appropriate, and as for spokes...the same ones you'd use on your bike. BMX shops will stock high performance spokes in the appropriate lengths.

Your hub will be a bit more problematic. You'll need to know the dropout spacing for your son's bike, and then buy an appropriate disc hub. If you find that information out for us, we can give you a bit more information.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You should be able to get some basic shimano deore hubs on singletrack 24" wheels prebuilt.

If not I built up a couple of set of wheels for that purpose for my kids. Picked up some pretty inexpensive Circus Monkey hubs (really light) and ordered some Alex Ace 20 rims (24" again). Ended up with pretty light wheel. The cool thing is the ACE 20 rims have a braking surface, so they could be used with rim brakes if required. Builds a pretty light wheel that most kids should be able to abuse without worrying about destroying it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Does the bike have disc tabs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks all.

Yes it has disk tabs and the dropouts are 100 and 135mm, front and rear.

I priced some wheels at the UC builder ($228 plus shipping). Nothing fancy. Pretty heavy at ~2000g if I'm counting right.

Anything I should think of changing to save significant weight at a reasonable extra expense?

Rims: (they only fitting choice. 395g -- pretty close to the alex rims mentioned above).
    Sun ICI-1 24" Rim (36 hole)

Hubs:
    Shimano FH-M525A Deore front and rear hubs (304 and 512g respectively)

Spokes:
    Wheelsmith Stainless Butted Spokes - 2.0-1.7mm Black (172 grams for 32 spokes)

Nipples
    Wheelsmith Brass Nipples - Black 12mm (14g)

EDIT::
    Now I see the Circus Monkey hubs, 392g for BOTH on ebay for $139. Perhaps I'll buy and have built with these.
    Last edited by sbstumpy; 11-15-2012 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Circus Monkey hubs are super light and reasonably inexpensive. I think for kids they are okay. Me at 190lbs I would thrash them.

Unless you want to shell out some big $$$ that is the best bet to build light and reasonable strong. For lots more $$$ you buy some Hope Pro II hubs and build the wheels and move the hubs to a 26" rim on the kids next bike/bikes as the hubs are convertable with different end caps.

Or spend less money and use the Shimano hubs, reasonably maintenance free but are heavy and likely the least expensive option.

Good luck. Either way it is fun building up new gear whether for you or kids.

mtbr member
    The Sun ICI-1 is a 520mm rim which is BMX Mini and Road 24". You need a 507mm rim which is MTB 24" sized rim

Look at Velocity Aeroheat 24" rims, 24mm wide, 507mm diameter, and available in 32h.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For my money, I would get the Deore 525 hubs. They're good enough to reuse on wheelsets when they make the jump to bigger bikes (and assuming that they pack on weight, too). Generally, you can skimp on the front hub if you have to (a Formula or Quando are decent, if uninspired, hubs) as most of the stresses you have to worry about are on the rear hub/freewheel mech.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    The Sun ICI-1 is a 520mm rim which is BMX Mini and Road 24". You need a 507mm rim which is MTB 24" sized rim

Look at Velocity Aeroheat 24" rims, 24mm wide, 507mm diameter, and available in 32h.
    +1. Do NOT use a BMX 520mm rim otherwise you will be stuck with skinny tyres and limited tyre choice.

Aeroheat's are good, ACE20's are the lightest but hard to get. Aliennation Deviant rims are the other option. Links and weights here.

For lightweight hubs, ebay Novatec - there are some good lightweight options DB811/812's or Kanzo hubs. Around $100 will get you a 400g set. You should be able to build a wheelset sub 1500g without too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great collective wisdom (hard to glean anywhere else).
    Dodged some mistakes there.

I haven't seen a builder online that has appropriate rim/hub combinations.

Guess I'll hunt down rims and hubs from the above and look to have them built locally.

Thanks!