mtbr member
    Jul 2007

20mm TA to 9mm QR adapter?

for WTB stryker wheels w/ 20mm TA front hub, is there an 9mm QR adapter available? TIA
    Last edited by skeered1; 04-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Nope.

The front hubs on Strykers are not convertable, sorry.

MarkyMark
    The Mavic 20mm to QR adapters worked for my Ibis (Joytech?) hub.

Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    for WTB stryker wheels w/ 20mm TA front hub, is there an 9mm QR adapter available? TIA

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    The Mavic 20mm to QR adapters worked for my Ibis (Joytech?) hub.
    20mm is also 110mm wide, there is no adapter to make a 110mm wide spaced hub fit into the standard 100mm wide QR fork. Mavic makes 15mm to 9mm adapters because they both use a 100mm wide spacing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    20mm is also 110mm wide, there is no adapter to make a 110mm wide spaced hub fit into the standard 100mm wide QR fork. Mavic makes 15mm to 9mm adapters because they both use a 100mm wide spacing.
    The hub shell, flange width and rotor mount is usually the same basic dimension on a 20mm hub as on a QR hub. It is the axle end caps that make up the 10mm width difference.

There are no universal 20/110 to QR/100 adaptors, but there are many hubs that are convertible with hub-specific parts. I have at least 4 different brands/models.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There are no universal 20/110 to QR/100 adaptors
    Exactly what I said

Exactly what I said
    If so, not clearly.
    20mm is also 110mm wide, there is no adapter to make a 110mm wide spaced hub fit into the standard 100mm wide QR fork.
    As I stated, I have at least 4 different 110/20 hubs and the parts to use them in QR/100mm forks.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quick question guys, are the cups on the outside of a 20mm hub needed? I bought a used wheel without any cup and the seller told me he used the wheel like that and that no harm would be done. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyL76 View Post
    Quick question guys, are the cups on the outside of a 20mm hub needed? I bought a used wheel without any cup and the seller told me he used the wheel like that and that no harm would be done. Is this correct?
    Absolutely needed! The hub is useless without them.
    The "cups" end caps are the spacers that keep the hub centered in the fork and are clamped between the fork and bearings.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thats what I was thinking but when I mount the wheel (Marzo 66) it holds itself in position. Nevertheless what you are saying is I should NOT ride without the end caps!

Thats what I was thinking but when I mount the wheel (Marzo 66) it holds itself in position. Nevertheless what you are saying is I should NOT ride without the end caps!
    The disc rotor is keeping it centered.

Is that what you want to be locating the wheel while riding, let alone while cornering?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Is that what you want to be locating the wheel while riding, let alone while cornering?
    I compared both of my 20mm hubs and the one I already had that has the end caps and like you said uses the end caps as spacers because the housing (small pipe looking thing) that sticks out on the sides is too short to even reach the forks so the end caps bridge that gap plus they sit on the bearing cartridge that is on the outer lip of hub. The hub I just bought has the cartridge bearing further in the hub and is sandwiched between a internal housing (little pipe) and 2 shorter ones that are on each end. The thing is that these 2 that come out of the ends are longer then my first hub and make up 110mm and make contact with the fork lowers and the rotor is about 1" from coming in contact with my fork. Have you ever heard of such a hub design?

mtbr member

That's life saving information.

I compared both of my 20mm hubs and the one I already had that has the end caps and like you said uses the end caps as spacers because the housing (small pipe looking thing) that sticks out on the sides is too short to even reach the forks so the end caps bridge that gap plus they sit on the bearing cartridge that is on the outer lip of hub. The hub I just bought has the cartridge bearing further in the hub and is sandwiched between a internal housing (little pipe) and 2 shorter ones that are on each end. The thing is that these 2 that come out of the ends are longer then my first hub and make up 110mm and make contact with the fork lowers and the rotor is about 1" from coming in contact with my fork. Have you ever heard of such a hub design?
    Your descriptions are confusing, in this and your first post.

There are many different hub designs which is why there are no universal conversion parts.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I agree with Shiggy... Try posting some pictures. That might make it easier for people to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've seen some home made stuff, but only RST has actually adapters that fit into their 20mm forks that I know of