mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2018 Race King and Cross King Widths

Does anybody have measurements for the recently revised Race King or Cross King? I liked the old versions of each, but they were a bit undersized.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcamper View Post
    Does anybody have measurements for the recently revised Race King or Cross King? I liked the old versions of each, but they were a bit undersized.
    The 2.2 RK was in no way undersized. If anything, it was larger than specified.

The X-King 2.4 was a 2.2 though. Iíll give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That seems fair. I ran the old RK on a narrow rim, and it seemed narrow and tall. The 2.2 XK paired with it seemed much skinnier. I never measured either.

Mudhorse
    Bear with me, fatcamper, I'm about to replace a 2017 Race King ProTection with the new 2018 Race King ProTection, and I shall measure them both up for you. It's hard to tell from photos, but comparing the 2017 and 2018 RKs side-by-side it looks as though the knobs on the new model are just a tiny bit smaller (in terms of knob area; hard to tell if there's a height difference). Same pattern and knob count though.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    Bear with me, fatcamper, I'm about to replace a 2017 Race King ProTection with the new 2018 Race King ProTection, and I shall measure them both up for you. It's hard to tell from photos, but comparing the 2017 and 2018 RKs side-by-side it looks as though the knobs on the new model are just a tiny bit smaller (in terms of knob area; hard to tell if there's a height difference). Same pattern and knob count though.
    Grassington, Please measure the knob width edge to edge between the 2017 and 2018. I'm hoping you are mounting it on the same rim so we can get a true apples to apples comparison. Thanks so much.

Mudhorse
    Just look at the fantastic service you get on this forum! I've measured the carcass width of three tyres:

2017 Race King ProTection. Fitted in August 2017 and run for a couple of hundred hours at 33 psi.
    2018 Race King ProTection. Fitted today, never inflated before.
    2017 X King RaceSport. Fitted in August 2017 and run for a couple of hundred hours at 25 psi. While I was in measurement mode I was curious to see how a RaceSport carcass stacked up against the beefier ProTection in terms of expansion under pressure. The results are quite surprising.

All tyres are a nominal 2.2" and mounted on Race Face ARC i27 27.5" rims. Measurements taken with Mitotoyu digital calipers (in calibration) and measured at the same point on the tyre to eliminate width inconsistencies. Measurements are sidewall-to-sidewall only as the outer knobs on these tyres don't protrude further than this. Pressures taken with a Meiser Accu-Gage, so while consistent they could be a couple of psi off from the true pressure.

In an unholy mix of units:
    2018 Race King and Cross King Widths-conti-tyre-widths-vs-pressure-mm-.jpg

In Church of England units:
    2018 Race King and Cross King Widths-conti-tyre-widths-vs-pressure-inches-.jpg

I also measured the 2017/2018 Race King knobs. Knob height seems to be unchanged (~2.2 mm centre/~2.8 mm outer) but the knob footprint seems to have shrunk between 2017 and 2018: centre knobs were about 10.3 mm across the widest point, now they're about 9.2 mm.

In the unlikely event that I remember/have spare time/can be arsed, I'll measure the 2018 Race King again once it's got a few miles on it as there's a good chance it'll stretch once it's broken in. If I get a 2018 Cross King I'll measure that too, but that could be a fair while away, unless I have some sort of disaster with the current 2017 X King (from experience there's a good chance this may happen).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Grassington! I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping the 2018 RaceKing would be at least as large at the 2017 version.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Thanks Grassington! I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping the 2018 RaceKing would be at least as large at the 2017 version.
    Bear in mind the 2018 RK I measured is brand new and will probably stretch out a bit once it's got a few miles on it. Even when new it's just over its specified 2.2" at a measly 20 psi. I was surprised at how narrow the 2017 X King was though, as that's had as many miles on it as the 2017 RK and I doubt it's got any more stretching to do.

The Race Kings are fitted to the rear, run at 33 psi and take most of my 200 lb loading. The X King is on the front, run at 25 psi, and mostly has a relatively easy life except for abuse under hard braking and endo turns.