This place needs an enema

2018 29 x 2.6" tire measurements.

Had ~20 minutes to kill waiting for UPS this PM.

I measured the b2b and weight of nine 29 x 2.6" tires. Worth mentioning that the McFly is called a 2.8 and the FBN is nominally a 3.0.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf = 156mm, 999g.
    Maxxis Rekon = 160mm, 771g.
    Terevail Kennebec = 166mm, 1002g. This is the 'light and supple' version -- feels plenty heavy to me.
    Bontrager XR-4 = 160mm, 943g.
    Bontrager XR-2 = 159mm, 730g.
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble = 174mm, 800g.
    Terrene McFly = 160mm, 874g. Light version.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic = 159mm, 916g, 1000g (yes, I weighed two)
    Vittoria Mezcal = 166mm, 883g.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Rekon is the winner. I think the NoNi in that size is an Apex, so I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Sounds like the Rekon is the winner. I think the NoNi in that size is an Apex, so I'm not surprised.

If judging only by the numbers, I guess maybe you could say that? But then what are your criteria?

I tend to judge tires by how they, um, ride -- you know, on trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've paid much attention to the B2B measurements. Is the assumption that a larger measurement equals a larger volume and a wider tire.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

I tend to judge tires by how they, um, ride -- you know, on trail?
    Mike - which of the tires you posted do you like best on the trail? And do you have any inside info on when the 29x2.6 DHF's will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Mike - which of the tires you posted do you like best on the trail? And do you have any inside info on when the 29x2.6 DHF's will be available?
    Of these, so far I've ridden the

Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    Maxxis Rekon
    Bontrager XR-4
    Bontrager XR-2
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Haven't yet found a place where I like the HD. It has grip for days out back, seems to skate up front, and seems way heavier than I need for the way I ride these days.
    Rekon is a good all-rounder, front or rear. More sensitive to pressure up front -- meaning I don't like it nearly as much when it's even 1psi too firm.
    XR4 is really good up front. Seems like overkill out back.
    XR2 is my favorite out back so far. Haven't tried it up front yet.
    FBN seems to be made of papier mache. Might be fine in places without rocks, but it was just too delicate for me, even up front.
    NN is sorta meh. Rolls OK, corners OK, traction is OK. Can't say that it particularly shines anywhere specific.

No idea on DHF availability.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Of these, so far I've ridden the

Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    Maxxis Rekon
    Bontrager XR-4
    Bontrager XR-2
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Haven't yet found a place where I like the HD. It has grip for days out back, seems to skate up front, and seems way heavier than I need for the way I ride these days.
    Rekon is a good all-rounder, front or rear. More sensitive to pressure up front -- meaning I don't like it nearly as much when it's even 1psi too firm.
    XR2 is my favorite out back so far. Haven't tried it up front yet.
    FBN seems to be made of papier mache. Might be fine in places without rocks, but it was just too delicate for me, even up front.
    NN is sorta meh. Rolls OK, corners OK, traction is OK. Can't say that it particularly shines anywhere specific.

No idea on DHF availability.
    I've been toying with the idea of an XR4 or SE4 up front. I'm looking at both the 29x2.6 and 29x3.

Does anyone have width measurements on a 36mm rim (i9 Back Country 360)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, Mike. I rented a bike with 3.0 XR4's last week and really liked them so I'm thinking of picking up a 2.6 to try. What pressures do you typically run on your 2.6 XR4's? I'm assuming at least a few more psi than on a 3.0?

Thanks, Mike. I rented a bike with 3.0 XR4's last week and really liked them so I'm thinking of picking up a 2.6 to try. What pressures do you typically run on your 2.6 XR4's? I'm assuming at least a few more psi than on a 3.0?

Yep -- so much less volume with the 2.6 relative to 3.0 that I think I'm running 4 to 5psi higher with 2.6's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    What kind of bike did you rent and how did the tire feel. Did you feel the 3.0 caused extra drag?

My rear is a 2.5wt Aggressor. I don't think the width difference going to a 3 up front. Would others agree

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    What kind of bike did you rent and how did the tire feel. Did you feel the 3.0 caused extra drag?

My rear is a 2.5wt Aggressor. I don't think the width difference going to a 3 up front. Would others agree

Twas a Full Stache. I was on vacation and not on my home trails so it's hard to say how much extra drag the wider tires had.

I normally run a 3.0 DHF front and 2.3-2.4 rear tires on my FS bikes at home and love that combo but I can't help but wonder if I would be faster with a 2.6 up front...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Twas a Full Stache. I was on vacation and not on my home trails so it's hard to say how much extra drag the wider tires had.

I normally run a 3.0 DHF front and 2.3-2.4 rear tires on my FS bikes at home and love that combo but I can't help but wonder if I would be faster with a 2.6 up front...
    Thank you. I have the 2.5wt DHF and don't like it. My girlfriend has a 27.5x2.8 and loves it. My MRP fork will take a 3.0. The EX4 in 3.0 is attractive mainly because of the 30 day Trek return policy. The tread pattern is also nice. If I got with a DHF 3.0 and I don't like it, I'm stuck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nobby Nic is still the winner for me, rolls very well and is ultra predictable which matters a lot to me. I've yet to find a tyre that grips as well in my local conditions that rolls anywhere near as good.

weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    Sheesh, some of those..feather light, thx for posting b2b measurements
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone tried Bontrager 29x2.6 XR4 front / XR2 rear combination yet? On paper it sounds like a good combo for XC on some burlier natural trails.

Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Anyone tried Bontrager 29x2.6 XR4 front / XR2 rear combination yet? On paper it sounds like a good combo for XC on some burlier natural trails.

That's exactly what my wife is riding. Took off the 3.0 versions a few months back and installed the 2.6" versions. For summertime/alpine riding -- which is far less techy than our local desert stuff -- it has been an ideal blend of speed/traction/comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That's exactly what my wife is riding. Took off the 3.0 versions a few months back and installed the 2.6" versions. For summertime/alpine riding -- which is far less techy than our local desert stuff -- it has been an ideal blend of speed/traction/comfort.
    Thanks Mike. I've been using a Nobby Nic / Rocket Ron combo in 27.5x3.0 on the trails with good results. I haven't seen the XR tires in the flesh yet. Are they comparable to those Schwalbes?

Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Are they comparable to those Schwalbes?
    Define "comparable"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Well, actually never mind - the weight data and some mk1 Eyeball analysis pretty much confirms that XR4 is pretty similar in its intent to the Nic and XR2 is on the same ballpark as Racing Ralph.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    What do you think about the 3.0 version? Do you feel it's 'slower' than the 2.6?

Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    What do you think about the 3.0 version? Do you feel it's 'slower' than the 2.6?

Totally terrain dependent.