mtbr member

2013 Rocket Ron experiences?

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the Rocket Ron 2.25 and the Racing Ralph 2.25 for my 29er this upcoming season. These tires will be used for all around riding on my hardtail as well as xc racing. I live in the Pacific Northwest for what it's worth.

I read that the older Rocket Ron tires were a little sketchy in really dry conditions. That concerns me because in July/August here the trails can become real dry and dusty.

Any experiences with this newer version of the Rocket Ron?

no trees are safe
    Pattern seems like they could handle some Loose over Hardpack action. Not sure if I would trust them on the front wheel though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've been doing Rocket Ron up front and a Racing Ralph in the rear. 26x2.25" tires, so not sure if the differently-shaped contact patch will matter. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the Racing Ralph works doing something like the gloppy stuff on Grand Ridge when it's wet and gross (although the gnomes have been making it a lot better!) and I've been pretty satisfied with the Rocket Ron as a front tire. Certainly it's better than using something like the Maxxis Crossmark. I haven't tried the Ralph as a front tire.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Helmetless Crasher
    Rock hard hard pack, Racing Ralph.
    Anything else, Rocket Ron.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I run Rons F&R and love them. Wouldn't use anything else do to the confidence these tires give you.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc