Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2011 Easton EA90 XC

Looking really hard at these wheels as I can get a good deal on them. Also looking at the 29er version. I wanted to get some input from anybody that has had a chance to try them out. As well, I am unable to find any info on rider weight limit. I weigh @ 190 geared up and I am wondering if this would be too much for a 1560g(claimed) wheelset. I ride mostly xc with only the 1-2' occasional air. These would be going on my Scott Scale 29er hardtail. Thanks for any input....
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Be warned - I just opened up my box of brand new 26" EA90 XC's that were delivered, and contrary to the data at Easton's website and the info in all the press releases I read online, these wheels are NOT 21mm inside width. They are ETRTO 559 x 19, 19mm inside width. I'm VERY disappointed, as I would not have purchased these if I had known that. I don't need narrower wheels than what I already have. Easton's site even makes a point to differentiate between the 26" and 29" wheels, clearly stating tghat the 26" is 21mm and the 29" is 19mm.

Otherwise, they look really sharp. However, I may not keep these because of the width.

Rub it............
    CTB, when you are doing your measurement, are you measuring inside the bead channel, or just in side the leading rim edge?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm both measuring the inside of the rim edge and reading the ETRTO marking printed on the wheel. Every rim I've ever owned has matched the ETRTO measurement when checked against the inner rim flange. This flange is what determines the profile your tire will take; the increased width below it is for securing the bead and is common to all clinchers. All my 19mm rims (ETRTO) measure 19mm between the flanges; ditto my 17's and my 21's, from varying manufacturers (Mavic, Specialized). The 26" Eastons are 19mm inside width, not 21 as listed on the site. They are fully 2mm narrower than my Roval Traversees, which are ETRTO 559 x 21 and measure exactly 21mm between the flanges. I'm betting the 29er version is indeed 19mm, as listed at the site.

Edit: Added pictures.

Last edited by CTB; 11-21-2010 at 12:21 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Well how about that. After I wrote to them on Sunday, Easton quietly changed their website data to be correct. The site now lists the width correctly at 19mm. That would have been nice to know before I dropped the cash on these...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Certainly not your fault, but I have noticed numerous manufacturers with errors in the spec sheets on new products. I think they just copy/paste when they make up the marketing sheets/web pages and some of the small details get missed sometimes. It takes a few months to fix.

Always pushing harder!!!
    they do look nice...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Ea90 Xc

Did you get your question answered about whether this 29er wheelset would handle a 190 lb plus rider. I am also looking at this set and am about 200 lbs. Also, you mentioned you had access to to good deal on the set. I found them for $649 w free shipping on ebay. Have you found a better deal?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I wanted to put a good word in for Easton here. A few days after they fixed the info on the website, an Easton rep contacted me and offered to exchange my wheels for a set of new Havens with Easton picking up the tab on shipping. This exchange is in process right now, so Easton gets top marks for customer service! The EA90's would have looked extremely sweet on my bike, but I wanted the additional width of the Havens, as that is how wide my current wheels are and I like tire performance with wide rims. The new black Havens will also look pretty nice, I think. I'll post again once this is complete.

Again, top marks to Easton for this.

mtbr member
    Basically iy looks like the new easton wheel lineup is built off of the haven platform. The XC, haven, and havoc are all the same wheels just with different width rims and graphhics. this means they should all be light, stiff, and strong.

CTB
    mtbr member
    And no rim tape needed, which was why I went this way in the first place. Got tired of always having tape getting tweaked when changing tires,etc.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Final update: Easton made good and the Havens are in my possession. Can't wait to ride them in about 6 months when this place thaws out...

mtbr member
    Cool! I also found out the differences between the 3 different wheels, is not only rim width and graphics, but spoke size/weight/strength, and rim wall thickness

The Cheater
    $650 for a set? That sounds like a steal! I'm planning to upgrade my XC One and been trying hard to decide between a Fulcrum and the new EA90. Any idea where I can get a good deal on this new EA90? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

EA90 for $650

I saw the EA90 29ers on ebay. I checked and they are still available for $649 w free shipping. Can't vouch for the seller since I have not bought from them. I ended up getting the Haven 29ers from my LBS for $650 plus tax so I decided to go with them. They are a little heavier but I am a heavier rider (200 pounds) and didn't mind paying the sales tax in exchange for buying local and for warranty issues. I put the Havens on my King Kahuna and have ridden them 4 or 5 times now and they are great. Best of luck.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've purchased wheels from "quality_products." No problems at all, shipped fast, great price, brand new merchandise.

The Cheater
    For those who have compared the Haven and this new EA90, are the bearings similar or does the EA90 roll noticeably longer when spun?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the ea90 and haven wheels use the same hubs

CTB
    mtbr member
    The internals are probably the same, though the hub housings/bodies are not.

Shut up and RIDE!
    how many engagement points does the easton hub has? i'm planning to buy the 2011 easton haven and their website doesn't state that info i think
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Intense M9

The Cheater
    I just ordered a set of the EA90 XC and while it's still in the mail, I found out about the Roval Control EL Disc which is only 1425gr and discounted to $530. Way lighter than the EA90 and also still tubeless capable though not UST but who cares about heavy UST anyway. You can even sacrifice 50gr and get the non Disc version of the Control EL which is at 1480gr (weighted at the store), still lighter than the EA90 and uses 24mm or 28mm endcaps that are compatible with Fox or Rockshox forks only but stiffer than 15mm thruaxle. Granted the finishing ain't as good as the EA90 but it's cheaper, stronger, and way lighter. Well to be fair compared to the Control EL, the front hub of the EA90 is slicker due to the standard 9mm, the endcap of the Roval doesn't feel as loose on the right side. So real world performance is still in the open. But Control EL Disc vs EA90... I'm leaning way towards the Roval...

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-ock
    how many engagement points does the easton hub has? i'm planning to buy the 2011 easton haven and their website doesn't state that info i think
    It should be 30 points the same as the Haven though I could be mistaken... I spent an hour in the shop comparing it against Fulcrum Red Metal Zero which is way looser (no pawls) and smoother, and also CB Cobalt that didn't roll as freely.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I switched from Roval Traversee EL's to the Havens. The Traversees are lighter, but they require rim tape to run tubeless. Since they are a shallow wheel profile (like Stan's, who sued them), I found it impossible to remove a tire without screwing up the rim tape, so I'd have to retape the darn things every time I changed a tire. Eventually that annoyed me enough that I decided to go for a rim like the Havens/EA90's that have no holes in the inner wheel wall and a deeper drop well. Otherwise, I had no complaints at all about the Rovals, and I'm keeping them as my mud tire wheels, which will eventually have tubes in them.

I don't know how many engagement points the Eastons have, but they do not seem to sound horrible and buzzy like Kings, etc. They sound quiet and normal (as do my 2008 Rovals). Having the new style of engagement wasn't important to me, so I didn't mind. In fact, I prefer not having the loud hubs.

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Eventually that annoyed me enough that I decided to go for a rim like the Havens/EA90's that have no holes in the inner wheel wall and a deeper drop well. Having the new style of engagement wasn't important to me, so I didn't mind. In fact, I prefer not having the loud hubs.
    Correct, the only issue is having to use new rim tapes everytime you remove the tire. But how often do you have to do it once you go tubeless? The Rovals wouldn't be loud as they are using DT Swiss 240 hubs (with Spez outer casing) and DT Swiss Revolution spokes as well. Which is more incredible for $530...

CTB
    mtbr member
    When you run a Conti Race King Supersonic on the rear, you do it more than you think, esp since the stems Specialized uses don't have the removable cores to inject more Stan's. Thus you have to break the bead to add more sealant, and that narfs the tape. The Easton valves don't have removable cores, either, but I've come up with a trick to make Stan's universal valves work in them. Someday I may convert the Rovals as well, which would avert much of this issue, come to think of it.

The Rovals were very quiet - I like the DT Swiss 240 hubs on them a lot. If they didn't need rim tape, I wouldn't have swapped 'em. And the price I got them for on Ebay was awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast