Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Cheater
    You sure got me thinking about which wheel to use for the heavy duty all terrain offroad and a purely urban / touring wheelset. I might use the Rovals with the Toros and the EA90 with the Crows... The easiest tubeless setup I've done is on a Fulcrum.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I set up my new tire on the Havens easily SO FAR... I say that in caps because we're still under snow here, and I haven't been able to ride the tire yet. Some on the web have told me that the tire I've chosen won't hold air once I ride it, but I have faith. After sealing a Race King and Mountain King Supersonic on the Rovals, I'm hopeful that these won't be a problem. Tire has held air for over a week now, never having been ridden. The Havens were very easy to set up tubeless, and this job would be done if I chose a less porous tire.

You can make either work, and I HIGHLY recommend figuring out your trick for making valves with removable cores work on whatever rims you choose, assuming you're going the sealant/tubeless route. Mavic stems are removable but don't fit anything but Mavics, it seems (I have those, too). Stan's universal works for shallow wheel profiles, but my RTV trick hopefully has done the job on these.

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    You can make either work, and I HIGHLY recommend figuring out your trick for making valves with removable cores work on whatever rims you choose, assuming you're going the sealant/tubeless route. Mavic stems are removable but don't fit anything but Mavics, it seems (I have those, too). Stan's universal works for shallow wheel profiles, but my RTV trick hopefully has done the job on these.
    I'll try the Fulcrum valves on the Rovals and see if they fit. If not, I've heard that you need to put some thick grease at the hole on the rim tape so air won't leak out. I guess it's a problem of wanting to get the lightest tubeless configuration for cheap

CTB
    mtbr member
    I bought some automotive RTV, put a small bead around the rubber area on the valve stem, inserted it into the wheel and tightened the thumbwheel *loosely.* Then once the RTV set up, I tightened the thumb wheel all the way to make a stronger seal. Seems to have worked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Excuse my ignorance ... but does the EA90 XC compatible with 28 mm end cap (for 9mm QR) ? If so, are they sold separately ?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'd like to help, but I don't think I understand your question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd like to help, but I don't think I understand your question.
    In fact, I wish to equip my Spesh SJ with some EA90 XC, which normally come standard with "Roval Control Trail EL, alloy disc, OS 28mm end caps". Plus, reading Veda's comments, where he wrote "(Roval wheels) lighter than the EA90 and uses 24mm or 28mm end caps", I then became concerned with the EA90, because so much emphasis being put on the fact that the Roval have these oversize end caps ... and not the EA90 !!

Thanks for your comments

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel
    Excuse my ignorance ... but does the EA90 XC compatible with 28 mm end cap (for 9mm QR) ? If so, are they sold separately ?
    EA90 XC only comes in either 15mm thruaxle or 9mm QR. The 24mm / 28mm End Cap QR styles are options only specific to thruaxle Roval wheels and are only compatible with Fox and Rockshox forks. Although they are considered adapters for standard forks to fit thruaxle wheels, they are actually stiffer than thruaxle due to the obviously larger surface contact area to the fork. There's the interview with Spez regarding the end caps describing why they're superior as tested in their lab...

Anyway, having installed the Rovals with the tubeless ready Hutchinson Toro 2.15 tires using Stan's Sealant, was a very easy installation by the way, and just finished a 2 hour test ride a min ago, I hate to say it but I don't think the EA90 XC can beat these Rovals in weight, stiffness, and price. + the Rovals uses DT Swiss 240 hubs and Revolution spokes... downright the best buy wheelset you can buy as of today for a freakin $530! Which makes me wonder why I ordered those EA90's... damn!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thank's Veda ... and for my knowledge ... what is Easton's end caps diameter for a 9mm QR ?

The Cheater
    The EA90 XC just uses the regular 9mm QR teethed endcap. The old standard...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Spoke tightening on straight pull spokes on Easton EA 90 XC?

I have a question re spoke tightening on straight pull spokes on Easton EA 90 XC 29'er wheels....

I took my 2 week old 29'er Easton EA 90's to my local wheelbuilder as the bearing adjuster needed to be tightened (side play in the rear bearing after 100 km's !). I also asked him to retighten the spokes as I felt (and saw) a bit of increased flex at the rear wheel when accelerating....but here it comes:

He couldn't tighten the spokes "as they are straight pull, and twist in the hub, and the nipples are stuck with loctite..." He certainly tried...but wasn't to impressed with the lack of servicabilty on these wheels...

Any suggestions? What will I do when they need truing or a spoke replacement? I've spent $ 800 on these babies!

mtbr member
    I had (have) the same issue on my XC Ones. I called and emailed and called. The Easton techs made it sound like the nipples should turn freely if you just held the spoke. I had to hold the spoke with pliers in some cases while I turned the nipple. But some just wound up the spokes no matter what I tried or how much lube I used. Easton said send them back. I did. They came back pretty much the same, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl
    I had (have) the same issue on my XC Ones. I called and emailed and called. The Easton techs made it sound like the nipples should turn freely if you just held the spoke. I had to hold the spoke with pliers in some cases while I turned the nipple. But some just wound up the spokes no matter what I tried or how much lube I used. Easton said send them back. I did. They came back pretty much the same, as far as I can tell.
    if they do use loctite on the nipples then youll need to use a HEAT GUN to heat the rim/nipple before you adjust/tighten the spoke....

Quote Originally Posted by Veda
    I hate to say it but I don't think the EA90 XC can beat these Rovals in weight, stiffness, and price. + the Rovals uses DT Swiss 240 hubs and Revolution spokes... downright the best buy wheelset you can buy as of today for a freakin $530! Which makes me wonder why I ordered those EA90's... damn!
    where can i get the ROVALS for the same price as the EA90's ? sounds like a better all around wheel but google came up with way to many options... got a link to the ROVALS you speak of ?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wanted to put a good word in for Easton here. A few days after they fixed the info on the website, an Easton rep contacted me and offered to exchange my wheels for a set of new Havens with Easton picking up the tab on shipping. This exchange is in process right now, so Easton gets top marks for customer service! The EA90's would have looked extremely sweet on my bike, but I wanted the additional width of the Havens, as that is how wide my current wheels are and I like tire performance with wide rims. The new black Havens will also look pretty nice, I think. I'll post again once this is complete.

Again, top marks to Easton for this.

like that makes me want to buy their products.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Variateur
    I have a question re spoke tightening on straight pull spokes on Easton EA 90 XC 29'er wheels....

I took my 2 week old 29'er Easton EA 90's to my local wheelbuilder as the bearing adjuster needed to be tightened (side play in the rear bearing after 100 km's !). I also asked him to retighten the spokes as I felt (and saw) a bit of increased flex at the rear wheel when accelerating....but here it comes:

He couldn't tighten the spokes "as they are straight pull, and twist in the hub, and the nipples are stuck with loctite..." He certainly tried...but wasn't to impressed with the lack of servicabilty on these wheels...

Any suggestions? What will I do when they need truing or a spoke replacement? I've spent $ 800 on these babies!
    I called Easton on this as I observed the same issue on my Haven 29 wheels. The nipples are threaded onto the spoke but also into the eyelet in the rim. The tech said as long as one of those interfaces was turning you are good to go. Just put your free hand on the spoke up by the hub to make sure it is rotating and not just winding up and then unwinding when you take the spoke wrench off.

Also, check out the wheel FAQ on their website. Don't mess w/ the drive side rear spokes when truing the rear wheel. Only use the non-drive spokes on the rear wheel. This has to do with the process they use to tension the rear wheel and the drive side spoke are under very high tension. I was told if you try to true using the drive spokes you risk stripping the nipple.

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    where can i get the ROVALS for the same price as the EA90's ? sounds like a better all around wheel but google came up with way to many options... got a link to the ROVALS you speak of ?
    I just found out today that my local Spez distributor marked the price for the Control EL with Control AL's price as the price of the EL didn't show up on their computer. So it was a mistake on their part but I already bought mine, and the good thing is even today they still haven't noticed that they put Control AL and EL side by side with the same price. So it's $550 which is the overly marked up price of the AL here (just like any othe Spez products the profit margin here is insane). Anyway, even with the dealer margin it's still way cheaper than the $750+shipping. I'm tempted to get another set just to resell. LOL!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This thread should have received an award for being the longest thread to never, not even once, address the question asked!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2