mtbr member
    Sep 2005

We the people ... 2006 Update On Off-Set Rear Rims like Valiant OSB

Ok,

I last built a rear wheel in the fall of 2000. Today, my DT Hugi 240 rear finally gave up the ghost...cracked flange (see pict). Time to build a new wheel. Yeeeehaaa!!

BUT, In 2006, I can't seem to find any Off Set Rims for rear wheels at the on-line shops. I am looking for Bontrager Valiant OSB. As Pink would say "Is anybody out there"?

Does anyone have an opinion on why OSBs are no longer around? Is it cuz of Disc brakes? Heck, I am still running 8-speed.

Just orderd a set of King Pink and Strong hubs and I am beginning my search for RIMs. DT Swiss looks good. But, I really want an off-set rear.

Thanks in advance,

Falldog-bombs-the-moon
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What about Ritchey OCRs? I've got no idea what they are like but they are an offset style rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Falldog
    BUT, In 2006, I can't seem to find any Off Set Rims for rear wheels at the on-line shops. I am looking for Bontrager Valiant OSB. As Pink would say "Is anybody out there"?
    Bontrager is not sold on-line. Valiant OSB rims are there, you just actually have to get into a dealership...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Tool
    Bontrager is not sold on-line. Valiant OSB rims are there, you just actually have to get into a dealership...
    It would be helpful to have the rims listed on the Bonty site. As it is, it appears they sell only complete wheels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Also take a look at Velocity.

I built up a Velocity ASYM rear rim when I wasn't able to easily find some Bonti's. Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com has 'em and he's a great guy to deal with.

As another side note... Cambria was selling some of the old Bonti rims they had as 'Famous Maker' brand of Rims. Just a little digging on their site should show if they're still selling the Bonti Rims. If you're worried about the weight though... just watch what ya get because the ones I got were not consistent. I had better luck with the Mustang instead.

Why they're dissapearing? Dunno. Maybe because they've been a specialty item since the beginning. The ASYM was really only needed by those who trashed their wheels, weighed in near 200, etc. (Just Like me). The ASYM worked great on front disc wheels, and on rear wheels - but not everyone needed the extra strength. That and there were more than a few companies who believed since they didn't come up with it... well it can't be as good then, could it. Ahem Mav..cough...

I've had very good luck (knock on wood) with mine. I'm still running one wheel that was custom built with an ASYM rim for me back in '97.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Falldog
    Ok,

I last built a rear wheel in the fall of 2000. Today, my DT Hugi 240 rear finally gave up the ghost...cracked flange (see pict). Time to build a new wheel. Yeeeehaaa!!

Does anyone have an opinion on why OSBs are no longer around? Is it cuz of Disc brakes? Heck, I am still running 8-speed.

Just orderd a set of King Pink and Strong hubs and I am beginning my search for RIMs. DT Swiss looks good. But, I really want an off-set rear.

Thanks in advance,

Falldog-bombs-the-moon
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...