mtbr member

2005 mavic crossmax xl

Man, I finally had my first spoke pop yesterday.

These wheels are old but well worth fixing but given their age, I'm having a hard time getting spokes.

I found 5 online (their last), and ordered for 7 bucks each.

How much life could be left in these?

I ride moderately aggressive, big tables, up to 5 foot drops and steep techy stuff.

In January I put them on my new enduro and they remained bullet proof until yesterday.

Am I the only one thinking they are well worth keeping? ?

Thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi Jeff,
    looks like you've done great with these wheels, with a really long lifespan. 7 years old at this point!

Spokes will be hard to find. Our MSC shop is stocking parts back to 6-7 years max, for sure not more than that. So you might be able to find a bike shop that can call Mavic and order spokes, but there's a high probability that the Mavic MSC tech shop is out of spokes and not able to get more.

It's pretty much a rule of physics and mechanical properties that metal will fatigue over time. If you've had a few spokes go, then more are probably on the way out. I would say, ride them until they can't be fixed but in the mean time, start saving for a replacement pair.
    -z
    Mavic Zack

Mavic USA Communications Guy
    www.mavic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/mavic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maviczack View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    looks like you've done great with these wheels, with a really long lifespan. 7 years old at this point!

Spokes will be hard to find. Our MSC shop is stocking parts back to 6-7 years max, for sure not more than that. So you might be able to find a bike shop that can call Mavic and order spokes, but there's a high probability that the Mavic MSC tech shop is out of spokes and not able to get more.

It's pretty much a rule of physics and mechanical properties that metal will fatigue over time. If you've had a few spokes go, then more are probably on the way out. I would say, ride them until they can't be fixed but in the mean time, start saving for a replacement pair.
    -z
    Thank you, I have been looking at some online, the newer crossmax, (st, sx and slr) and you are right, if I want to replace with the same bad ass wheels I currently have, I had better start saving now!

I really love these and they have been true and maintenance free other than the occasional bearing replacement. My bike is a 2011 with 2005 wheels, that has to say something for the design and manufacturing process over there at Mavic.

thanks,
    Jeff