mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2004 Norco Manik QR back skewer size - back axle size

I've tried googling but couldn't anything. I thought I'd try here first as the Norco forum is some what "lite". Norco website doesn't list a # or email address for questions.

The spacing between the back dropouts is 135mm.

My back skewer is bent and I'm wondering if Norco uses a typical 9mm x 135mm skewer?

My back axle may also need replacement and I'm wondering if Norco uses a typical 10mm x 135mm axle (with overall lenght of 146mm)

The hardtail weighs about 39 lbs in stock configuration and I'm concerned the Canucks may have used some parts that are on steroids.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tim808 View Post
    I've tried googling but couldn't anything. I thought I'd try here first as the Norco forum is some what "lite". Norco website doesn't list a # or email address for questions.

The spacing between the back dropouts is 135mm.

My back skewer is bent and I'm wondering if Norco uses a typical 9mm x 135mm skewer?

My back axle may also need replacement and I'm wondering if Norco uses a typical 10mm x 135mm axle (with overall lenght of 146mm)

The hardtail weighs about 39 lbs in stock configuration and I'm concerned the Canucks may have used some parts that are on steroids.

Thanks!
    Sounds like the frame is a standard 135/10 open (QR) dropout.
    Any rear QR skewer should work (5mm shaft).

You need to know what hub you have for an axle replacement. The LBS is your friend.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    The stock wheelset used a Deore rear disc hub which uses a standard 10mm hollow axle. So a standard rear skewer would work. For a axle replacement, a 146mm x 10mm x 1mm hollow or a 173mm x 10mm x 1mm solid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Shiggy/MB72 - Thanks!!

One more question. The outside dimension of the dropouts is about 151mm and my existing skewer is about 170mm (stuck a ruler thru the spokes and rotor....too lazy to take the skewer out). So as a general rule of thumb, should skewers be approx 20mm bigger than the outside dimension of the dropouts?