mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2.6 Specialized Tires?

Will be run on 35id rims and an Ibis Mojo HD3. I don't think I want to go plus with 160/150mm travel.

I ride mainly in New England where its almost always "moist" dirt with rocks and roots.

On my 29er, I used to run Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control which i liked. Rolled well and were grippy enough, but when I picked up a second set of wheels I opted for more aggressive Hans Dampf and dedicated XC tires.

Can anyone comment on Spesh 2.6 tires? Looking at the Butcher up front and Ground Control or Purgatory our back.

Or should I just skip these and go Minion DHF/DHR??

And can I go with a smaller knob tire (Say a Slaughter) since I am running more tire volume? Or will the loose dirt in NE just gunk it up?

I'm with stupid
    The Purgatory and the Butcher use is different casing. They are both marked 2.6 but the butcher is smaller. The 2.6 butcher is roughly the same size and the DHF 2.5. The new gription compound seems to do quite well though. they "feel" a whole lot faster than the Maxxis tires but I have zero data to back it up a bit more pingy though. Plus I thing the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as Maxxis. All good tires just know that if you are buying the butcher or hillbilly to have a "real" 2.6 you will be sad. However if you want a good 2.4 that is marked 2.6 they are great tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    The Purgatory and the Butcher use is different casing. They are both marked 2.6 but the butcher is smaller. The 2.6 butcher is roughly the same size and the DHF 2.5. The new gription compound seems to do quite well though. they "feel" a whole lot faster than the Maxxis tires but I have zero data to back it up a bit more pingy though. Plus I thing the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as Maxxis. All good tires just know that if you are buying the butcher or hillbilly to have a "real" 2.6 you will be sad. However if you want a good 2.4 that is marked 2.6 they are great tires.
    Thanks, I should have searched before posting as I found some older threads beyond page 1.....saw they are measuring quite below 2.6. I don't want to be Sad that's for sure. Their 2.3 tires were more like 2.1 also. Seems they have not addressed it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running a DHF 2.6 on my enduro-style bike and it's a great tire up front. Faster rolling, lighter, more true to size in the 2.6 than the 2.5 was.

In the back i'd check out the Forekaster if you want to stay Maxxis and go fast-rolling but good grip.

I'm running a WTB Breakout 2.5 fast/tough in the back and it's an excellent back tire, very fast rolling...you'd never know it was 1050g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm running a DHF 2.6 on my enduro-style bike and it's a great tire up front. Faster rolling, lighter, more true to size in the 2.6 than the 2.5 was.

In the back i'd check out the Forekaster if you want to stay Maxxis and go fast-rolling but good grip.

I'm running a WTB Breakout 2.5 fast/tough in the back and it's an excellent back tire, very fast rolling...you'd never know it was 1050g.
    Cool. Thanks. I saw the forecaster, but was a bit turned off by it being for wet/muddy conditions according to Maxxis. While my terrain is damp soil, its rarely wet and I stay off the trails when its really wet anyway. Maybe I'm being too literal. Did a little reading an seems like a good tire for what I'm after. Sounds like straight away breaking isn't great compared to the DHR II. That concerns me a bit in our looser soil conditions, but I wouldn't call the Hans Dampf great at it either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I saw the forecaster, but was a bit turned off by it being for wet/muddy conditions according to Maxxis. While my terrain is damp soil, its rarely wet and I stay off the trails when its really wet anyway. Maybe I'm being too literal. Did a little reading an seems like a good tire for what I'm after. Sounds like straight away breaking isn't great compared to the DHR II. That concerns me a bit in our looser soil conditions, but I wouldn't call the Hans Dampf great at it either.
    I've never run the forekaster personally but read through the thread on it if you haven't already... Seems like it does well in a lot of environments.

Workin for the weekend!
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'd like to give my two cents on this subject for what it's worth. To cut to the chase, I absolutely love the Specialized Grid 2.6s. I have 35mm internal carbon rims and they're right at 2.5 inches wide. The Purgatory being slightly wider than the Butcher and Ground Control. I originally had Maxxis DHF and DHRIIs and they rolled like my bike was stuck in the mud. Grip was good but that drag! Anyway, the Butchers (935 grams) aren't so great in drier and harder conditions because the outer knobs will tend to squirm if they can't dig deep. If I rode in the PNW or another moist locale they'd be great. For desert riding I use the Purgatorys (980 grams). The wider based outer knobs really grip in the dry stuff. Also a major plus is how long they've lasted. I love riding treacherous rocky stuff and have managed to only cut one Purgatory on sharp granite, right in the center of the tread. The sealant allowed me to finish the ride out but it eventually wouldn't hold so it got replaced. I love experimenting with different tires but I think I've found all I need in the Spesh tires.

I've also tried out:

Ground Control 2.6 Grid- 898 grams. GREAT rolling tire, though not as much outright grip as Purgatory but makes an awesome rear tire.

Vee Crown Gem 2.6 - 916 grams. Tore a knob clean off on sharp rocks. Pretty good grip, very wide for a 2.6 but didn't ride long enough to get a great feel for it.

Terrene Chunk 2.6 light- 923 grams. Wider than my friend's DHF 2.8. AMAZING grip in dry conditions, sidewalls seemed very thin although I never tore it. Rolls like a DHF (not a good thing)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    I'd like to give my two cents on this subject for what it's worth. To cut to the chase, I absolutely love the Specialized Grid 2.6s. I have 35mm internal carbon rims and they're right at 2.5 inches wide. The Purgatory being slightly wider than the Butcher and Ground Control. I originally had Maxxis DHF and DHRIIs and they rolled like my bike was stuck in the mud. Grip was good but that drag! Anyway, the Butchers (935 grams) aren't so great in drier and harder conditions because the outer knobs will tend to squirm if they can't dig deep. If I rode in the PNW or another moist locale they'd be great. For desert riding I use the Purgatorys (980 grams). The wider based outer knobs really grip in the dry stuff. Also a major plus is how long they've lasted. I love riding treacherous rocky stuff and have managed to only cut one Purgatory on sharp granite, right in the center of the tread. The sealant allowed me to finish the ride out but it eventually wouldn't hold so it got replaced. I love experimenting with different tires but I think I've found all I need in the Spesh tires.

I've also tried out:

Ground Control 2.6 Grid- 898 grams. GREAT rolling tire, though not as much outright grip as Purgatory but makes an awesome rear tire.

Vee Crown Gem 2.6 - 916 grams. Tore a knob clean off on sharp rocks. Pretty good grip, very wide for a 2.6 but didn't ride long enough to get a great feel for it.

Terrene Chunk 2.6 light- 923 grams. Wider than my friend's DHF 2.8. AMAZING grip in dry conditions, sidewalls seemed very thin although I never tore it. Rolls like a DHF (not a good thing)
    Great info! Are you running 27.5" or 29"?

My LBS said the 29x2.3" purg is smaller than the butcher and GC, so apparently it is not consistent through the product lineup.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29
    2016 Fuse Pro (29er)

Bodhisattva
    I recently installed a 650 Slaughter 2.6 Grid.

Really nice tire for dry summer conditions. It measures 2mm wider than my 2.5 DHF WT on 30mm IW rims. Super fast rolling and great cornering. As expected, forward traction and braking are compromised compared with a knobbier tire, but it's what I want and need right now. I wanted to drop rolling resistance and drag through midsummer blown out conditions. Weight is around 920 grams (from memory)

It will come off in the fall when we get moisture and mud. I hadn't used Specialized tires for years, but may take a look at some of their other rear offerings. I'm very content with my DHF and have regretted other options in the past.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sorry, that info was for 27.5x2.6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just bought a new-to-me 2017 Spec Enduro 29 that came with 2.6 Butcher and 2.3" Purgatory on 30mm rims. To my surprise, they measured 2.4x" & 2.3" wide respectively.

I also noted that my Stumpy 29 which wears i23's with 2.4" Ardent and 2.35" Ikon, measured 2.28" & 2.3" respectively.

All 4 tires measure 2.18-2.22" tall from rim to center of tread, so no big difference in volume.

What I took from this was that the Purgatory is way overstated at 2.6" and Maxxis is much more realistic with their measurements as long as you use an adequately wide rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    I just bought a new-to-me 2017 Spec Enduro 29 that came with 2.6 Butcher and 2.3" Purgatory on 30mm rims. To my surprise, they measured 2.4x" & 2.3" wide respectively.

I also noted that my Stumpy 29 which wears i23's with 2.4" Ardent and 2.35" Ikon, measured 2.28" & 2.3" respectively.

All 4 tires measure 2.18-2.22" tall from rim to center of tread, so no big difference in volume.

What I took from this was that the Purgatory is way overstated at 2.6" and Maxxis is much more realistic with their measurements as long as you use an adequately wide rim.
    Ardent and Ikon are the two (only?) Maxxis tires close to claimed size, almost everything else is smaller.

I'm with stupid
    I have the Butcher 2.3 in the new BLK DMND casing. They are very close to my Maxxis Aggresor and Minion DHF 2.5 WT on the same rim. I saw the 2.6 in the new casing today and it is much bigger than the grid 2.6. So there is hope still for all you big tire loving guys.

mtbr member
    I have the Butcher 2.3 in the new BLK DMND casing. They are very close to my Maxxis Aggresor and Minion DHF 2.5 WT on the same rim. I saw the 2.6 in the new casing today and it is much bigger than the grid 2.6. So there is hope still for all you big tire loving guys.
    Thatís good news!
    Do you have the 27.5 or 29? Also kind of curious on how much these weigh.

I'm with stupid
    29er. They are pretty heavy at 1450 grams for 1 and 1430 for the other. I am running them front and rear with cushcore and they feel like they roll amazing. Better than my 2.5 aggressor they replaced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Last year I had a butcher 2.6 on a 29 mm rim. Casing was wider than knobs, which I hate. That would be even worse on a wider rim. Did not seem higher volume than maxxis dhf 2.5 so i went back to that. However, i have always liked the butcher 2.3 in the back.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    29er. They are pretty heavy at 1450 grams for 1 and 1430 for the other. I am running them front and rear with cushcore and they feel like they roll amazing. Better than my 2.5 aggressor they replaced.
    Dang.
    Those are as heavy as Maxxis DH casings.
    I was hoping they were somewhere in the middle kinda like a DD.

Barely in control
    But do they stand up on their own?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Try a WTB Breakout 2.5 on the rear, great rear tyre and the biggest 2.5 there is, bigger than some 2.6's.