mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2.6 Specialized Tires?

Will be run on 35id rims and an Ibis Mojo HD3. I don't think I want to go plus with 160/150mm travel.

I ride mainly in New England where its almost always "moist" dirt with rocks and roots.

On my 29er, I used to run Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control which i liked. Rolled well and were grippy enough, but when I picked up a second set of wheels I opted for more aggressive Hans Dampf and dedicated XC tires.

Can anyone comment on Spesh 2.6 tires? Looking at the Butcher up front and Ground Control or Purgatory our back.

Or should I just skip these and go Minion DHF/DHR??

And can I go with a smaller knob tire (Say a Slaughter) since I am running more tire volume? Or will the loose dirt in NE just gunk it up?

I'm with stupid
    The Purgatory and the Butcher use is different casing. They are both marked 2.6 but the butcher is smaller. The 2.6 butcher is roughly the same size and the DHF 2.5. The new gription compound seems to do quite well though. they "feel" a whole lot faster than the Maxxis tires but I have zero data to back it up a bit more pingy though. Plus I thing the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as Maxxis. All good tires just know that if you are buying the butcher or hillbilly to have a "real" 2.6 you will be sad. However if you want a good 2.4 that is marked 2.6 they are great tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    The Purgatory and the Butcher use is different casing. They are both marked 2.6 but the butcher is smaller. The 2.6 butcher is roughly the same size and the DHF 2.5. The new gription compound seems to do quite well though. they "feel" a whole lot faster than the Maxxis tires but I have zero data to back it up a bit more pingy though. Plus I thing the sidewalls are not nearly as stiff as Maxxis. All good tires just know that if you are buying the butcher or hillbilly to have a "real" 2.6 you will be sad. However if you want a good 2.4 that is marked 2.6 they are great tires.
    Thanks, I should have searched before posting as I found some older threads beyond page 1.....saw they are measuring quite below 2.6. I don't want to be Sad that's for sure. Their 2.3 tires were more like 2.1 also. Seems they have not addressed it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running a DHF 2.6 on my enduro-style bike and it's a great tire up front. Faster rolling, lighter, more true to size in the 2.6 than the 2.5 was.

In the back i'd check out the Forekaster if you want to stay Maxxis and go fast-rolling but good grip.

I'm running a WTB Breakout 2.5 fast/tough in the back and it's an excellent back tire, very fast rolling...you'd never know it was 1050g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm running a DHF 2.6 on my enduro-style bike and it's a great tire up front. Faster rolling, lighter, more true to size in the 2.6 than the 2.5 was.

In the back i'd check out the Forekaster if you want to stay Maxxis and go fast-rolling but good grip.

I'm running a WTB Breakout 2.5 fast/tough in the back and it's an excellent back tire, very fast rolling...you'd never know it was 1050g.
    Cool. Thanks. I saw the forecaster, but was a bit turned off by it being for wet/muddy conditions according to Maxxis. While my terrain is damp soil, its rarely wet and I stay off the trails when its really wet anyway. Maybe I'm being too literal. Did a little reading an seems like a good tire for what I'm after. Sounds like straight away breaking isn't great compared to the DHR II. That concerns me a bit in our looser soil conditions, but I wouldn't call the Hans Dampf great at it either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I saw the forecaster, but was a bit turned off by it being for wet/muddy conditions according to Maxxis. While my terrain is damp soil, its rarely wet and I stay off the trails when its really wet anyway. Maybe I'm being too literal. Did a little reading an seems like a good tire for what I'm after. Sounds like straight away breaking isn't great compared to the DHR II. That concerns me a bit in our looser soil conditions, but I wouldn't call the Hans Dampf great at it either.
    I've never run the forekaster personally but read through the thread on it if you haven't already... Seems like it does well in a lot of environments.

Workin for the weekend!
    Todd