mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2.4 Mtn Kings with Stan's is a no go

I've got Conti 2.4 MtnKings, Stans strips and valves mounted Rovel Traverse wheelset. Tires are brand new. I've used Stans with other tires and wheels with no problem but I can't seem to get that initial seal to get air in the tire. I don't have a compressor but in the past I've just given the foot pump hell at first to get the bead set and it's always worked. WTH?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Might not work without a compressor but try to fit in a tube first, pump it and then take out the tube with one side of the bead still in place. This helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Also, also use a really soapy mix slopped around the bead.
    Good Luck
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

The White Jeff W
    The 2.4 Mountain King Protection version worked on my Flow's but I finally gave up on getting a Trail King to seal after several frustrating weeks.
    No moss...

Birthday Collector
    I mounted one up on a Stan's Flow no problem. Sometimes, certain wheels and tires have incompatibilities. I had a Michelin/WTB rim combo that would never seal, but the same tire worked on other wheels, and other tires sealed on that rim. Soap the bead, put in a tube, pump it up to the maximum psi on the tire sidewall, and let it sit overnight and then try again after unseating only one side of the bead, as recommended above!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    The TK mounts fine to my Flows and DT Swiss EX5.1d's, however my buddy with Roval's has had issues. A compressor is must for these tires, the bead is so tight you really need some oomph to force it out into the channel. Soapy water with a brush as mentioned is helpful. You also might try putting a tube in first and inflate. Lastly, if the bead seats but still won't hold try some extra sealant. The sidewalls seem a bit porous, but in my experience will eventually plug up (I had to to the shake and rest on a bucket routine per the Stan's video).

My buddy finally gave up on his Roval and put on the Hans Dampf.....no issues at all.

mtbr member
    0) wash off the mold release agent from the inside of the tire using some rubbing alcohol or just a brush, soap and water;
    1) pre-seat the tire by inflating it with a tube, then unmount one side of the tire (the other side should stay locked -- conti tires lock very well in the BST sockets; not sure for the Rovals though) and remove the tube;
    2) install the tubeless valve with the core removed;
    3) pump it up;
    4) if it's still not seating, then apply generous amount of soapy water to the unseated bead, spank the tire around (like Stan is doing in his video) and goto 3.

Continental tires are among those which usually don't need a compressor for initial inflating (at least on the Flows). Sealing their sidewalls may take some time and riding, but eventually it works fine, if you don't skip the step 0.

mtbr member
    Take string and wrap a couple loops around the middle of the tire, then inflate. This will make the tire bow the beads out. Keep inflating till the string kind of blows off.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you're desperate, use the "tube to seal the bead on one side trick" then add sealant inside (if you haven't already.) Get the tire in position on the rim, then coat the tire rim interface on the unseated side with liquid latex. It's best if you get the stuff one the bead of the tire itself, but I just did it on the tire and rim surface. Then, let it dry, maybe overnight, and when it looks clear-ish, pump. It'll air easily. Like, ridiculously easily.

I tried every trick in the book before (including all listed here) and nothing worked. I'm using a pre-owned (used tubeless and tubed previously) Conti Race King 2.2 29er tire. My rim is a Bontrager Race X Lite TLR (almost same bead as UST, and it holds really tight).

Of course, this works best if you already have liquid latex for some tubeless brew. I hear it's good mixed with Stan's as well, so maybe you should get some.

I read that method from someone else on the forum. I think meltingfeather.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The 2.4 Mountain King Protection version worked on my Flow's but I finally gave up on getting a Trail King to seal after several frustrating weeks.
    Are the Protection versions usually good for sealing right away?

I have some MK II's coming (2.4 & 2.2) and plan on running tubeless with Stans. Wondering if I should worry...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

LCW
    mtbr member
    Got my MK II's - 2.4 for front, 2.2 for rear... Both Protection version... Mounted to XTR Trail rims (559x21). Had to use compressed air to seat the beads, but they sealed up first try. Used about 2.5 scoops of Stan's. Didn't really have any issues other that at first getting the tires stretched over the rims (they are UST). Otherwise, some of the easiest tires I've had to seal up first try.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

transmitter~receiver
    Take out the valve core.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database