mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2.3 Hutchinson Scorpion Gold Elite

There's been minimal chatter about this tire, but it seemed like a good fit for my east coast "aggressive XC" riding style so I gave it a shot.

Been on 3 rides (20 miles of single track) with it so far, and I've been extremely pleased. corners better, and has less rolling resistance, and much greater volume when compared to Mibro 2.25 and 2.1 FireXC that I've put many miles on.

I'll admit that the 3 times I've taken it out, it has been ideal conditions for riding, dry but not dusty, so I can't comment on how it handles mud, or loose dirt.

Has anyone actually had a bad experience with this tire? It's the only tire that I've actually felt the need to suggest to people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No good in rock gardens..
    I bet it wears fast, like most Hutchies seem to.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Yep. The Scorp must be an underated tire. I had the 2.3 a year or so ago and now have the 2.0 tubeless lite. They are indeed fat for their claimed size, which is fine. They grip great, but as Sideknob says they tend to wear out maybe a little fast. A friend of mine thinks they are some of the best tires he's ever used... we're east coasters too BTW... NC. Even though the center tread profile is low, it must be the grippy/soft rubber that allows them to perform well.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aren't their Gold tires dual compound?
    If so, the center tread should last longer than the Airlight versions right?

Also, based on Hutch's description, the Scorpion is a mud tire, so if you like it in dry conditions, you should really like it in the wet, assuming the harder compound grips well enough, but it should clear mud really well.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 10-01-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Aren't their Gold tires dual compound?
    If so, the center tread should last longer than the Airlight versions right?

Also, based on Hutch's description, the Scorpion is a mud tire, so if you like it in dry conditions, you should really like it in the wet, assuming the harder compound grips well enough, but it should clear mud really well.
    Bit silly to make a mud tyre with shallow centre tread, huge casing to clog your frame, and name it after a dry weather bug, if that's the case......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    went on a ride that had some mud patches over the weekend, and it shedded the mud off really well.

I wasn't aware of Hutchinson's short life span. I tend to get a lot of life out of front tires, so I may just keep it there and not waste one on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoneNrtp
    went on a ride that had some mud patches over the weekend, and it shedded the mud off really well.

I wasn't aware of Hutchinson's short life span. I tend to get a lot of life out of front tires, so I may just keep it there and not waste one on the rear.

I have 2.0 Spiders both ends, and have never seen tyres wear faster then them. They are like butter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoneNrtp

I tried these. Not bad but didn't last long. There's not much knob so when it starts to wear you loose quite a bit of traction. I don't buy Hutch's anymore. It always seemed I was replacing them, and never had enough knob for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I have 2.0 Spiders both ends, and have never seen tyres wear faster then them. They are like butter.
    I guess you could just make it part of your maintenance - instead of checking your rear tire pressure every couple of weeks, just mount a new Spider and pump it up...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I guess you could just make it part of your maintenance - instead of checking your rear tire pressure every couple of weeks, just mount a new Spider and pump it up...
    That's funny! No good with goo though....