mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2.25 Schwalbe Optimal Rim Width?

I am looking for opinion on rim width for Schwalbe 2.25 tires for xc and trail riding. My go to is rhe 2.25 racing Ralph for most of the riding season. Currently I have been running them on 23mm internal width Stans Crest MK3 rims. I really like think they shine on rims around this width. Last season I was running 19mm internal rims the profile was just too round for me.

I have ridden a few bikes with carbon hoops and this is the route I plan to go. The precision steering and lack of wheel maintaince is pretty awesome.

I am looking at rims between 23 and 30mm. I think the 2.25's are just too narrow for the 30mm. I am about 155lbs and the 2.35 is nice, but for my size the 2.25 is all I need.

Anyone care to chime in on rim profile they like?

I am thinking maybe NOX and they offer 23mm, 26mm and 30mm internal models.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    When ever my RR comes in ill be running it on a i27mm rim. Top fuel running a xr1 2.2" in the back. Really depends on the tire... some trek team riders run i29mm rims and Bontrager 2" tires.

I thought 30 was a bit wide so i went 27mm
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw that Emily Batty was running crazy wide rims, but those Bontrager tires have a pretty large volume casing.

Even Nino is on the top shelf DT carbon 1200 wheel that are like a 24mm internal. I am thinking 26mm for the NOX will be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    These are 2.25 racing Ralph's on 30mm internal width rims
    Have only ridden with them once yet but wasn't really amazed with changing from 23 to 30mm rims although that's also when I changed from 2.4 mountain king to racing Ralph's. In the past I did ride the racing Ralph's often, more tyre is not really needed in the Netherlands and they probably work perfectly on a 25~26mm rim as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DannyvG; 1 Week Ago at 04:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd go 26mm for 2.25 I've ran them on 30 and 26 I think the 26 felt better for that size. I'm currently on 30 with 2.35 and after slowly dropping pressure a lot I love them. But 26 with 2.25 were lighter and faster rolling from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My conditions are different than yours, as I ride in Park City and Moab (Utah, USA).

I have run 2.1 and 2.25 RaRa's on a 26" 19mm id rim for years (SS pacestar) as a rear tire and loved them. On timed climbs, I found the 2.1 to be slightly faster than the 2.25 (and I posted personal records on them). But they wore out after 150 miles, so I gave up on them.

I've ridden different tires on 19mm, 23mm and 35mm. My personal experience is that rim width, within reason, has very little affect on my times, the amount of grip I get or my cornering ability. Ride whatever makes you happy, because you may get a bit more comfort from increased volume.

If you are running WT tires (Maxxis), or tires bigger than 2.4" width, then I think going bigger is a good step. But I've ridden 2.6" tires on 23mm and 35mm id rims. I prefer the 35, of course, but if you're on a budget, 23mm will work well, they just require about 2-3 psi more. The tires only have a round profile with no weight on them. Once you load them up, they flatten out, of course, so that round profile no longer exists. The issue with big tires (that is less of an issue with smaller ones) is that there is less sidewall support, so the wider profile allows lower pressure.

There is a big push on for wide rims, so I am a bit of a heretic.
    As I said before, my fastest timed climbs were on the 2.1 RaRa at about 23 psi rear. I have since gone to a 27.5x2.6 Rocket Ron rear at 16 psi and I have beaten the times I clocked on the little RaRa! The tires wear way better (but any 2.6 will wear better than a 2.1 or 2.25), they grip way better as the tread is deeper, and the wide rim in this case really does allow me to run low pressures. I recently put a 2.6 RoRo Addix on the back, went out the door, and immediately got another personal best on a timed climb. That's no small feat, as I'm 65 years old riding above 7000 feet.

I know the question was rim width Vs. narrow RaRa's, but if you are considering wide rims I think 2.6" may be a "sweet spot" on tire size, if you can run them.

How's that for a long rambling response?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyvG View Post
    These are 2.25 racing Ralph's on 30mm internal width rims
    Have only ridden with them once yet but wasn't really amazed with changing from 23 to 30mm rims although that's also when I changed from 2.4 mountain king to racing Ralph's. In the past I did ride the racing Ralph's often, more tyre is not really needed in the Netherlands and they probably work perfectly on a 25~26mm rim as well.

Whats the tread width and body width of that tire on those rims? Thanks
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've ran 2.35 on 32 ID rims and I thought they werent a good match. Felt like the tire got squared off and and the sidewall tread was touching when going straight.

That being said I could run between 16-20 psi with no issues. Horse for the course may no be the right option for you

I'm 225ish geared up for ref.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Whats the tread width and body width of that tire on those rims? Thanks
    Thread width 55.5mm and body width 57.6mm