change is good
    Sep 2004

2.25 Nobby Nic vs 2.1 Ground Control re volume

My tire clearance challenged 429 needs a tough trail tire. My NN SS rubs the cross brace. My MKII Protection which I really like pinch flatted. Yes, I could and may run more air, and possibly a tube, but now I have lost faith with Conti since my X-King Protection pinch flatted. Funny, my Schwalbes would only burp if I lost air. A Grid GC would fit the ticket. I'm really obsessing over this. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you'r asking but if it helps my 29" Ground Control 2.1 casing measures 53.8mm. on a Stan's Flow rim.

P.S. at 30psi.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I need a trail tire smaller in diameter than the NN ie less volume so it doesn't rub on my frame. On the 429 there is a cross brace on the rear triangle that prevents a large volume 2.2 or larger tire from fitting. I'm heading to Pa and WV next week and the typical trail tires, even when they fit, provide minimal mud clearance. The MKII is a smaller diameter tire than the NN, has good traction and clears wet debris fairly well making it a perfect fit for my 429. However, I need a tire that can handle rocks.

mtbr member
    I have also used A Nobby Nic 2.25 and if I remember correctly it was in the region of 57mm. on the same rim. The Ground Control is definitely narrower.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Thanks much

mtbr member
    I also wanted to add that I have the Ground Control as a back tire on a Banshee Paradox (version 1) which also has clearance problems and it fits fine. I ride in the North East and find it to have good grip while rolling well.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Cool. I order the Grid version because of the scary low weights (for me) recorded for the Control version.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Not only is the 2.1 ground control much smaller than a 2.25 Nic, the "2.3" is as well.

I just got the 2.3 GC, and when I mounted it last night I had to check the sidewall to make sure I didn't accidentally get another 2.1. I really don't know why spech. even bothered. It looks wimpy next to the 2.25 Nic I have on my front wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Not only is the 2.1 ground control much smaller than a 2.25 Nic, the "2.3" is as well.

I just got the 2.3 GC, and when I mounted it last night I had to check the sidewall to make sure I didn't accidentally get another 2.1.
    Funny . . . I just installed a 2.3 GC last night to replace a 2.1 GC. I did the exact same thing - checked the sidewall to make sure I wasn't putting on another 2.1 GC. When comparing tread-to-tread after letting the 2.3 stretch overnight, the 2.3 is wider than the 2.1, but it's definitely not even close to a true 2.3. I think my 2.2 Captains were considerably wider. I still like the GC, though - just wish it was beefier.

mtbr member
    Guys, I'm a little disappointed with the new Specialized tires with regard to their size. I'm still using the older Purgatory 2.2 and 2.4. Also a Ground Control 2.1 which measures exactly 2.1" on a Flow rim. The Purgatorys are wider than stated which has been the case with most Specialized tires in the past.

I'm curious to know what the actual size of these new tires is and on what rims. I'd also really like to know what the "real" size of the new and only size 2.3 Purgatory is. I may have to look elsewhere in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wish I could help ya with the actual size, but I don't have a caliper. It looks like the 2.3 GC have stretched a little after a two nights and a day at 40 PSI. Still, they look to be the same size as the 2012 Captain 2.2s I have on an Arch EX wheelset. The GCs are on Roval Control Carbon Rims.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuki View Post
    Still, they look to be the same size as the 2012 Captain 2.2s I have on an Arch EX wheelset. The GCs are on Roval Control Carbon Rims.
    Mine's been mounted for a few days and ridden on once. Still looks very close to the 2.1 GC mounted on my spare rear wheel. And still a good amount smaller than a 2.2 captain.

I do a non-scientific volume test on my bike to compare tires. I wrap a paper tape measure tightly around the tire and rim at 30 psi, with the tape around the widest part of the tread. I get a little over 21cm for the 2.25 Nic, a hair under 20cm for the worn 2.1 Ground control, a hair above 20cm for the brand new 2.3 ground control, and a worn 2.2 captain is a hair under 21cm. All of these are done on arch rims.

mtbr member
    From what I've seen few 2.2's are larger than a Captain, in fact it's larger than many 2.3's, even from specialized.

I like the non-scientific volume test, it seems most manufacturer's measuring method involves even less science.

Save Jesus
    Most manufacturers just lie about the size. I don't know why, but they do. The only true size is when you see a pair of millimeter numbers on the tire, such as 56/54.

I recall that my GC 2.1 measured 2.05, and my 2.3 measured at 2.15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I'm curious to know what the actual size of these new tires is and on what rims. I'd also really like to know what the "real" size of the new and only size 2.3 Purgatory is. I may have to look elsewhere in the future.
    Purg control, 2.3 x 29
    WTB i23 rim
    40 psi @ time zero: 2.18" at the widest point (knobs)
    40 psi @ 24 hours: 2.20" at the widest point (knobs)

It's worth mentioning that the widest point is the knife edge of the side knobs. It'll wear off in the first ride and likely measure smaller. I also don't ride them at 40 psi, but I'm letting them stretch and soak up the Stans at 40. I'll get some measurements and pictures tonight at 28 psi which will be 36hrs after mounting. This is a set of two tires by the way and they are identical in measurement thus far. I will say they mounted and aired up better than any other tire I've used. I also bought them knowing they were narrow, even though the guy at the LBS obviously hadn't gotten the memo on the new versions. He was very concerned they wouldn't fit in my frame and kept telling me they were HUGE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Purg control, 2.3 x 29
    WTB i23 rim
    40 psi @ time zero: 2.18" at the widest point (knobs)
    40 psi @ 24 hours: 2.20" at the widest point (knobs)
    That just sucks! I just went out and measured my old pair of Purgatorys at 24 and 28psi. The "2.4" is 61mm.(2.4") and the "2.2" is 57mm.(2.2") on the knobs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Purgatory 29 x 2.3 measured width

OK. Didn't have a chance to snap any pictures, but here's where they're at:

WTB i23 rims
    48 hours and 1 ride after mounting.
    27 psi.
    2.20" (55.9mm) at the knob
    2.17" (55.1mm) casing width

This is pretty much what I was expecting given the reviews I've read. They're on my squishy bike so I don't really care so much about volume. I wanted an all purpose tire that could handle the 2 miles of pavement getting to the trail along with single track and moderate chunk once there. They're light-ish, rolled very well and install was done sans-levers without breaking a sweat. I'm happy thus far, but I could imagine someone being pretty upset if they were expecting the tire to actually match what is written on them.