mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2.2 UST Trail Kings on Flow Rims

anyone mounted up the new black chili 2.2 continental trail king / rubber queen UST to some Stan's flow rims?
    if so how did they mount up?
    how do they ride?
    any issues?
    it seem the 2.2 non-ust have had some issues mounting tubeless.... thats why i'm wondering.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nobody knows this? I want to know that too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well i think i found my info else where and decided to go for it...the 2.2 ust's mounted quite easily with a compressor and have been holding air well for a while with no problems. ive only had 1 ride on them so cant comment on performance, but im thinking they'll be good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    with the yellow rimstrip and sealant?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yes

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My 2.4" non-UST Black Chili Trail King mounted easily and has not lost any air in the 3 weeks or so I've had it. Just yellow tape and sealant. Different tire, but I don't see why that would mount but the 2.2 or UST's wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Have had mine for 6 months. Shop mounted them but have not had any issues since. They have worked great and I have not found the low limit of pressure. I ride 25 f 26 rear. I once accidentally ran 20 on my usual rockey trail and had no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @bones2: ust or non ust 2.2's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    it seem the 2.2 non-ust have had some issues mounting tubeless.... thats why i'm wondering.
    well, yes, there may be some issues, but nothing critical. pre-seat one side by inflating with a tube, then unscrew the valve core and use soapy water and a floor pump to seat the other side.
    it may take a few rides to seal up all the pores. you'll probably also have to check pressure before each ride as it may still leak a few psi a week. other than that, they work fine.

UST version will hold air much better and (as others say) they mount fine on the Flows, but they're a lot heavier.

mtbr member
    UST Chili. Does loose about 2psi a week, but I think I need to add more stans. Thinking about switching to non UST for weight savings. But the first time I ever have a problem on the trail I will switch back. With my old tubed tires/wheels I was stopping for flats every third ride. That sucked. Haven't had to stop once with my new setup.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Are you guys really having luck getting UST tires on a Stan's rim?

Last time I tried to mount UST tires on my Stan's rim, the bead was too tight. In talking with the distributor for Geax, their TNT tires are based on the UST size dictated by Mavic's patent.

Stan's (and many other companies) did not pay for patent rights and thus did not make a rim shape compatible with the Mavic UST system, instead they made their tires "tubeless ready" just like many other companies.

The UST tire had a bead on it and was too tight to get the second bead of the tire in the rim, even using soap, water, and lots of elbow grease.

The only tires I can get to work on my Stan's rims are non-UST tires.

Hunter

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by xjpart2 View Post
    Are you guys really having luck getting UST tires on a Stan's rim?
    Yes.
    Last time I tried to mount UST tires on my Stan's rim, the bead was too tight. In talking with the distributor for Geax, their TNT tires are based on the UST size dictated by Mavic's patent.
    The UST bead dimensions are dictated by ETRTO/ISO standard, not a patent.
    It is well known that Geax tires are a tight fit, even on UST rims. They just hit on the low end of the tolerance window.
    Stan's (and many other companies) did not pay for patent rights and thus did not make a rim shape compatible with the Mavic UST system, instead they made their tires "tubeless ready" just like many other companies.
    Mavic published the UST design specs as an ETRTO/ISO standard, meaning anyone (like Bontrager) can use them without paying Mavic for it, and Mavic no longer has control over the standard specification..
    What you have to pay Mavic for is the use of the UST logo, which they hold a trademark (not patent) on. UST is just Mavic's brand of "standard tubeless," which they developed with Hutchinson

The UST tire had a bead on it and was too tight to get the second bead of the tire in the rim, even using soap, water, and lots of elbow grease.

The only tires I can get to work on my Stan's rims are non-UST tires.

Hunter
    Did you pay attention to the valve location? I've found that to be critical (doing the valve last) on Geax UST+Stan's rims, and also seems to be the no. 1 user error in getting it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Did you pay attention to the valve location? I've found that to be critical (doing the valve last) on Geax UST+Stan's rims, and also seems to be the no. 1 user error in getting it to work.
    Definitely paid attention to the valve location, but after a number of solid attempts I just put the tires on my other wheelset.