mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2.10 or 2.35 studded tires..???

Hi all, now that the winter season is almost upon us, I'm currently in the market for a set of studded tires. I did a couple of trail rides last season on regular tires and swore I'd never do that again.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's. I noticed that they now come in both 26x2.10 and 2.35. So, the question for all you hardcore winter riders---any preference between the two widths? I will not be commuting with them (other than the 10 min ride to the trailhead), and they'll be used strictly for single track. Most of my local trails become hard-packed from hikers, dog walkers, etc. and have a decent amount of ice in between so I'm thinking the 2.1's should be more than adequate. As I understand it, the higher volume tire will be more beneficial on loose, fluffy, deep snow? If the trail conditions are mostly hard-packed, would there be any reason to go to a larger volume spiked tire??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It is all about the consistancy of the snow...

Light fluffy, have to sink down to a more consolidated layer...

little bit heavier you want to float more...

paths with hikers probably want the narrower tires...

On the other hand big fat tires on hard pack don't have much rolling resistance either...

One thing I can guaratee you....if you ride a lot there will come a time when you wish you had the other tire on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    ...One thing I can guaratee you....if you ride a lot there will come a time when you wish you had the other tire on.
    ^^ This is true. Basically, if you are going to be riding primarily on plowed roads with a hard surface to dig down to, go skinny. Otherwise, go wide for float. you said no commuting, so I would recommend go as wide as possible. I winter commute on my CX bike and use 700c x 40 studded tires for riding on plowed paved roads. I used these tires on my 29er last year. They work great. I tried a ride once on loosely packed fired roads and they were awful, they cut down in when I needed them to float. regular 2.2 MTB tires worked far better.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 12-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    I would go fat. You'll be alternating between hard packed and not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. jeffscott, you mentioned fat tires don't have much rolling resistance on hard pack. Would the difference be very noticeable when compared to the 2.1's though? I'm only asking because I notice a big difference between my 2.1 and 2.35 summer tires (on dirt). Just wondering if the snow conditions somehow "levels" the playing field a bit? My local trails are mostly smooth single track and don't have much serious climbing involved. What we do have is a lot of short, punchy, little steeps, that don't take more than a minute or two to crest. Most of my riding is pretty much xc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes hard pack snow can be faster to ride on than pavement...usually on trails the footprints cause most of the resistance...so the wide ones at lower pressure absorb the bumps better....smoother the path narrow ones seems to go faster.....

Icy hills can be quite challenging to ride...

You really have to keep the weight on the rear and ride smoooooth....

On the other hand I have chickened out on studs, only to get off the bike and slide on my ass all the way down the hill....studs hold that good...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good to know, thanks. Looks like the 2.35's might be the way to go. Would there be any point in mounting the 2.1 in the back and 2.35 for the front? Just weighing options..

mtbr member
    I'll chime in and say that I don't think there are very many conditions where the 2.1s would perform better than the 2.35s.

Sometimes you want float, and the 2.35s will be better for that.
    And sometimes you want a narrow tire to cut through to the pavement or hardpack, but the 2.1 and 2.35 would both be pretty equally bad compared to something 40mm or smaller.

I'd think the only reason to go for the 2.1 would be if you don't have the tire clearance in the rear. And for snow riding rolling resistance and efficiency are way down on the priority list - staying upright is usually the bigger concern.

Got A Lust for Life...
    2.35s are the way to go in winter. 2.1s do not provide the float you may need. There is no way to get extra float from a 2.1 but you can always pump up the 2.35s to move a bit faster.

Bikeman Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Studded Tire 26 x 2.35
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Looks like wide it is...

Thanks for all the input guys. I have a set of 2.35's on their way. Never thought I'd be eagerly awaiting the first snowfall...

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    It is all about the consistancy of the snow...

Light fluffy, have to sink down to a more consolidated layer...

little bit heavier you want to float more...

paths with hikers probably want the narrower tires...

On the other hand big fat tires on hard pack don't have much rolling resistance either...

One thing I can guaratee you....if you ride a lot there will come a time when you wish you had the other tire on.
    Ok, you have some strange advice. Paths shared with hikers you want the largest tire available otherwise you're bouncing and falling into every little frozen footprint. The talk about fluff snow... that is nice but underneath it, that consolidate layer you want to reach, it is frozen footprints and rutts. In general it is much easier to maintain control in very loose conditions like snow or sand with wider tire. I have owned all sorts of studded tire and the largest you got and the lowest psi is always the best when heading to a winter singletrack.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzing View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I have a set of 2.35's on their way. Never thought I'd be eagerly awaiting the first snowfall...
    Studded tires aren't really for snow, they work well in snow yes because those designers thought of things like light sidewalls, lower psi, larger widely spaced knobs, and different rubber that is more pliable at lower temperatures, but they're primarly for things like iced up singletrack. Usually there is no difference around here on singletrack unless a fresh snowfall has occured, then you're better off with a lighter medium knobbed tire. There is even a trail around here that is made out of almost all rocks, when you go there with your studded tire it sucks because the studs slip off the rocks like a dog on linoleum. In fact the enviro wackjobs tried to get us banned because we were scraping rocks. Save the rocks - really.

Anyways, you've probably got the right tire, just wanted to let anybody know reading this that studded isn't the default option - particularly when the studs don't reach the frozen layer beneath. The ***** is the day when you take the normal rubber out that is the day when you find glare ice on the bottom of a hill or corner of switchback(glare ice likes to form since it melts and runs downhill). Have fun!

Huckin' trails
    I never used studded tires, but being into my third winter of riding and having tried a rear 1.95 with large spaced knobs, then a 2.1 with similar pattern, then finally a 2.3 with DH pattern, and running pressure from low 30 to high 65 on all of them over hard packed snow, slush, powdery dry snow, frozen bumpy snow, gnarly icy path, the 2.3 just gives me more control, stability, braking power, keep up momentum better, sink less and rolling resistance even on dry pavement (or street) isn't much of a difference from the 2.1 to 2.3, but was a bit noticeable from 1.95 to 2.1.

Like they said, the priorities are control and stability. Anything else is bonus.

FWIW, I run a 1.95 front specific MTB tire since last winter on that bike and so far the directional treading has help a lot control your drifts and stability under skids. Unless you're riding over loose deep snow a lot, I think you'll be alright with a 1.95 to 2.1 front directional tire.

David

Attached is my rig. 2.3r - 1.95f, both r/f specific tread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.10 or 2.35 studded tires..???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324698499.628694.jpg  

2.10 or 2.35 studded tires..???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324698573.650414.jpg  

2.10 or 2.35 studded tires..???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324698642.114560.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!