mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2.0 kenda karma or 1.95 kenda small block 8?

which tires is better in terms of grip and rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Well...

the Karma has better grip, both climbing and cornering. The SB 8 is a much faster tire in terms or rolling resistance, but it doesn't grip as well in cornering, but they do climb pretty well as long as you aren't mashing the pedals. But it should be noted that for best grip I wouldn't go any smaller than the 2.1 SB 8. The tread blocks on the 1.9 SB 8 are just too small and close together to be effective. Also keep in mind that the SB 8 is designed as a scary fast hard pack tire, and on hard pack they do VERY well. But when things get soft, loamy, or wet they aren't worth much. The larger and deeper tread blocks of the Karma give it the edge in such conditions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the Karma has better grip, both climbing and cornering. The SB 8 is a much faster tire in terms or rolling resistance, but it doesn't grip as well in cornering, but they do climb pretty well as long as you aren't mashing the pedals. But it should be noted that for best grip I wouldn't go any smaller than the 2.1 SB 8. The tread blocks on the 1.9 SB 8 are just too small and close together to be effective. Also keep in mind that the SB 8 is designed as a scary fast hard pack tire, and on hard pack they do VERY well. But when things get soft, loamy, or wet they aren't worth much. The larger and deeper tread blocks of the Karma give it the edge in such conditions.

Good Dirt
    thanks for the great info
    what do you think about front 2.1 SB8 and rear 1.95 SB8
    or front 2.0 karma and rear 1.95 SB8?

bi-winning
    Why do you want to go with a 1.95 SB8 in the rear instead of a 2.1?

Consider the following. http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Download...llustrated.pdf
    I won't say i completely agree or disagree with the article, but i think it should be considered.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ivantcs
    thanks for the great info
    what do you think about front 2.1 SB8 and rear 1.95 SB8
    or front 2.0 karma and rear 1.95 SB8?
    Like I said, I don't care for the 1.95 SB8 in any position for the reasons stated. And I don't care personally for running smaller tires in the rear, especially on a hardtail. The articel that rkj_ referenced bears reading. I agree with the testers findings as my experience in the "real world" tends to bear out his conclusions. I've found over the years that rolling resistance is more a function of tread design than anything else, and that a wider tire with a good fast rolling tread design off road is faster. And it's not only tire width, but also tire volume that has an effect as well. As an example, I've got a set of Maxxis Advantage Exceptions in 2.1 that I like pretty well, they roll well and are pretty grippy. I also have a set of Nevegal 2.1's that I like as well. They roll a little slower than the Advantages, but over all they are a faster tire. Why?, Volume! The Nevegals are a noticably taller tire for their width, and they are about 100g heavier. But the ride is much smoother with the Nevegals as the tire can be run at lower pressures and comforms to the trail better and allows for better control at any given speed. I can actually push the bike faster and still stay hooked up. You usually have to run narrower or smaller volume tires at higher pressures to prevent pinch flats. This only adds to the problem as a harder tire hammers the trail (and you) more. After a point that hard tire starts to bounce over obsticals instead of flowing over them and you loose both traction and control. You have to slow down to maintain control or crash!

The narrowest tire I'd run, even for racing would be a true 2.0 and then only on a really smooth old style NORBA course. Anthing else would be a 2.1 minimum with a good amount of volume. I'd say go with the 2.1 SB 8 in both positions, or even a 2.3/2.1 combo. I'd rather put up with a little more rolling resistance or a little more weight and have better control. The better control will easily compensate for either within reason.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i'm now using maxxis ignitor exception 1.95
    SB8, karma and ignitor which one more grippy and fast rolling on road?
    Last edited by ivantcs; 03-12-2008 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The SB8s roll fast as hell and have great grip on hardpack. I have more confidence with my 2.1 SB8s than I do with 2.0 or 2.2 Karmas.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just got a 2.1 SB8, and I'm a bit disappointed in it's size. Considerably smaller than a 2.1 Nevegal. Carcass width is about a tenth of an inch narrower (yes, on the same rim). I was hoping Kenda was using the same carcass for both tires. Apparently not........

The 1.95 must be tiny.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by ivantcs
    i'm now using maxxis ignitor exception 1.95
    SB8, karma and ignitor which one more grippy and fast rolling on road?
    The Ignitor isn't in the same league as the Karma or SB8 when it comes to rolling fast. The Ignitor will give better traction at the expense of higher rolling resistance. Choose your weapon ...

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING