mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2.0/2.1 mud tires for XC racing?

My bike is set up for XC racing and Iím looking for a lite and narrower mud tire for our wet muddy conditions. Iíve been using 2.1 crossmarks with great success in most of our summer conditions but want something with a little more bite for the upcoming fall and winter mud and snow. I like the quick acceleration of a 2.1 tire rather than the wider stuff, call me an odd ball. Oh, it is for a 29ír

Thanks for any help

Mojo

mtbr member
    Wtb moto or a maxxis beaver. The beaver is around 500 grams and has thin sidewalls. Cut a few of them and Stan's didn't help. Recommend running with tube. Haven't tries the wtb moto yet.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1 for the Beaver if your trails are not too harsh on tires.

If they are, you'll need something with more protection. TLR Bontrager Mud-X is pretty bombproof, digs in real nice, but not a fast roller. Continental MK II protection 2.2" in reality is 2.0-2.1", so will suit your needs. Dark horse: Hutchinson Toro 2.15" (also more like 2.0-2.1") Testing a set right now and it turns out to be a very good rolling/grip/protection compromise for wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Beavers are fine tubeless if they are not the EXC-eptional series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    Beavers are fine tubeless if they are not the EXC-eptional series.
    Yeah, mine were and they were very thin.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks guys

Did a quick google on the beavers and bontrager mud x, they both sound pretty promising in the 2.0 version. I'll check out the rest of them mentioned. I'm not too concerned about fast rolling because when it's muddy and snowy, hard pack for fast rolling is non exsistant.

You guys rock, thanks again,

Mojo

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would use the same narrow-ish tire for both mud and sludge like snow, but once there is a layer of snow, you might want to use a wider tire for floatation and safe low pressure riding.

mtbr member
    Mojo Man - is that a SS ? - if so, you may want to consider an ardent in the front and back for that extra bite. just my $0.02 from guys I race with in rocky, roots, and muddy conditions on their SS.

but if you have a geared bike for xc racing in muddy conditions - try the maxxis ignitor up front and a maxxis ikon in the back. the ignitor cleans out well and the ikon holds firm in the back. or to be safe you could just slap another ignitor in back.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Beware this fate...
    Always do a quick check to make sure your tires will shed. This stuff stuck to everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.0/2.1 mud tires for XC racing?-mud.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yetimeister514 View Post
    Mojo Man - is that a SS ? - if so, you may want to consider an ardent in the front and back for that extra bite. just my $0.02 from guys I race with in rocky, roots, and muddy conditions on their SS.

but if you have a geared bike for xc racing in muddy conditions - try the maxxis ignitor up front and a maxxis ikon in the back. the ignitor cleans out well and the ikon holds firm in the back. or to be safe you could just slap another ignitor in back.
    Yes, SS racing. I looked at the ignitor and ikon, which are both in the 2.1 widths, promising also.

Thanks

mojo

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What about the Muckmeister 1.75 from Duro?

PD

urmb

Disregard, I didn't notice the 29'er criteria
    urmb
    "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way."
    Dr. Seuss

I'm with stupid
    You can also cut the a few knobs out of the ignitor tread and it helps open them up to shed better. I used this approach last winter/spring with snow and mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was running from Rocket Ron 2.25, rear Beaver for some of the wet races I rode, and it was fine. Narrow Beaver profile in the front was just not confidence inspiring for me for the roots, however on the rear it was great.

mtbr member
    Specialized Fast Track in the back, Captain up front

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    Thanks guys

Did a quick google on the beavers and bontrager mud x, they both sound pretty promising in the 2.0 version. I'll check out the rest of them mentioned. I'm not too concerned about fast rolling because when it's muddy and snowy, hard pack for fast rolling is non exsistant.

You guys rock, thanks again,

Mojo
    I don't know about racing, but the Mud X is a great tire. Best grip I've ever gotten on wet roots. I had one of the older versions that weren't tubeless rated, but I pumped it up on my Flow rims without sealant, and it never leaked air. Ever. Just to experiment, I decided to ride the bike without putting sealant in the tire. Three months later the trails were drying out and it was time to switch tires. Not a single issue.