mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1999 Specialized Hard Rock Hub - Rebuild or Replace?

So I am one of those guys who wants to get out on the trail, but can't get the cash together for a new bike...yet. I have been tooling around a lot lately with the old bikes in my shed, including my 1999 Specialized Hard Rock A1 Comp FS.
    Had the fork replaced with a rigid Surly 1x1 and a Cane Creek 40 headset last year. Bike feels great, but the rigid fork may have shaken some lose things a bit loser - I ended up replacing the bottom bracket and now I have gone ahead and pulled apart the front hub to get it repacked.

The hub is a "Specialized Alloy". The wheels are in fine shape. I don't want to dig big money into this bike. But the cones are scuffed to hell and one is chipped, so I need to replace them, and the bearings. Looks like one of the cones is sealed to the axle so I figure I'll be replacing an axle too.

My question -
    I've seen some sites where I can buy axles, cones, bearings online. Do I need to be concerned about mfr with this hub? I mean, can I get a shimano axle that measures the same? What about the cones? I can't find any hub parts out there for a 1999 Specialized Hard Rock, and although I'd be glad to pay $10 for a whole new hub I don't really know if I am up for rebuilding the whole wheel...

So then the other part of the question is - if I did get a new wheel or wheels for this bike, what's a good set that won't break the bank for an old bike like this?

Thanks a ton for any thoughts here

mtbr member
    The front hub is almost certainly a Formula or Joytec made product. If the cups are damaged then it is garbage. Wheels manufacturing makes cones and axles that should work but you may end up spending more than if you simply got a replacement wheel. The stock rim was a Weinmann 519 which is a cheap single wall rim. A replacement of this level should run under $50.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the response Mr Whisperer. I am taking a look at the replacement Weinmanns out there, looks like it would definitely be under $50. I guess if I am gonna stick to my budget I shouldn't even delve into the "what other wheels might be a good bet for 50-100?" Part of me wonders if the rigid fork is gonna cause a lot more abuse on the front wheel..