mtbr member
    Jun 2006

1999 Bontrager Corvair

I have this wheelset on my Trek 6500 and I want to upgrade to disc compatible under a really tight budget. Is it possible to switch out the hubs on this wheelset with a xt or deore disc compatible hub?? I also have an 8 speed cassette that I want to use with it.

Thanks in advance,
    Nickmast

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Sure, go for it....

as long as the rims are in good condition. It won't be the best disc wheel set, but it will work just fine. Just make sure that either you know what you are doing, or that you have a GOOD wheel builder do the conversion for you, and DON'T skrimp on components. Go with good hubs (XT) and good quality spokes (you'll need to replace them all) like DT Comp 14/15s, and new nipples all around. As for the 8speed cassette, sure you can use it. The only thing different between an 8 speed and 9 speed cassette is the extra cog and the spacing between cogs. The cassette body dimensions on the hub are the same for both 8 and 9 speed, so you can do it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thx for the response. I was indeed gonna go with Shimano XT hubs and a good quality upgrade for the spokes. The rims themselves are in fantastic shape.