mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New question here. 15mm oversize axle quick release White Industries MI6 fit 10mm dropouts?

I'm trying to decide on some hubs, and I'm liking the White Industries MI6 stuff, but the descriptions all say, "15mm oversized axle" all over the internet. I've searched for hours, but cannot find anything that says this is merely an internal axle diameter, and that it will still fit "normal" 10mm rear dropouts (or 9mm for the front).

Maybe I'm not finding it, because these hubs only fit 15mm dropout openings, and my frame cannot run W.I. hubs and my wishful thinking is useless. I'm at a loss.

I realize the W.I. doesn't say, "through axle" and that's where my confusion sets in. Does anyone know if these oversized axles have 10mm "ends" that will fit "normal" dropouts? If so, why doesn't W.I. make this information more obvious, or am I just dumb? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

mtbr member
    It is the diameter of the axle at the bearings, the ends are standard QR.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    It is the diameter of the axle at the bearings, the ends are standard QR.
    Whew! Thank you for taking the time to explain it to this newb. I can't believe how long it took me searching, when all I had to do was ask the authorities at mtbr.com and have my answer in minutes.

I love this forum!