mtbr member
    Feb 2013

15mm --> 9mm, caliper hitting spokes, advice?

In trying to upgrade my wheelset, I've hit a snag: My new front wheel with a E13 15mm thru (using a 9mm adapter axle) hub doesn't seem to be working with the Avid Juicys on my 2008 Reba, as the spokes rub the brake caliper. That is, the hub is wider, bring the spokes out far enough that they twang on the caliper. (Though, the fork and the hub work together, no problem.) I did loosen the caliper bolts to adjust it away from the spokes, but that didn't solve the contact.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem, aside from buying a new fork or new brakes?
    (Alternatively, is anyone sure about certain brakes that would solve the problem? For instance, I have XTs on the back, and the caliper pretty thin; I expect that the fronts would be thin enough to prevent contact with the spokes. But, of course, I'm looking for an immediate solution here.)

Thanks for any help...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    In trying to upgrade my wheelset, I've hit a snag: My new front wheel with a E13 15mm thru (using a 9mm adapter axle) hub doesn't seem to be working with the Avid Juicys on my 2008 Reba, as the spokes rub the brake caliper. That is, the hub is wider, bring the spokes out far enough that they twang on the caliper. (Though, the fork and the hub work together, no problem.) I did loosen the caliper bolts to adjust it away from the spokes, but that didn't solve the contact.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem, aside from buying a new fork or new brakes?
    (Alternatively, is anyone sure about certain brakes that would solve the problem? For instance, I have XTs on the back, and the caliper pretty thin; I expect that the fronts would be thin enough to prevent contact with the spokes. But, of course, I'm looking for an immediate solution here.)

Thanks for any help...
    Assuming everything is installed correctly, you might have to go to a larger rotor and adapter. You're still going to have to spend some money but that should cost alot less than a fork or new brakes.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good idea -- a 180 rotor would likely take the caliper high enough to clear the spokes. I've got one tooled away somewhere...just need the mount. Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you have a 160 on there, this shouldn't be happening. Does the hub have a really high flange on the brake side or something ?

Need pics

transmitter~receiver

15mm --> 9mm, caliper hitting spokes, advice?

How much interference is there? Another possibility is to space the rotor out from the mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yep, 160, but it's happening. The E13s do have high flanges, and I think that's the culprit. As I said, it is a 15 thru hub, and I'm using a 9mm fork, so therein lies the rub... I think. If I have time, I'll take some photos of it tonight to show.
    Otherwise, a fix is in the mail: went ahead and ordered up 180 XTs I've been wanting anyway.