Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Now with More Wood

10mm rear axle questions

Hi,

will a 10mm bolt-on rear hub (Hope Pro II, to be exact) fit a "standard" rear dropout (Spesh Enduro SL - currently with a QR hub of course)? And, second question: can said hub be used directly with a 10mm thru axle (like the DT RWS Thru bolt for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/R...ModelID=21670), and if so, are there any further advantages (in terms of stiffness) over the bolt-on version?

thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Hi,

will a 10mm bolt-on rear hub (Hope Pro II, to be exact) fit a "standard" rear dropout (Spesh Enduro SL - currently with a QR hub of course)? And, second question: can said hub be used directly with a 10mm thru axle (like the DT RWS Thru bolt for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/R...ModelID=21670), and if so, are there any further advantages (in terms of stiffness) over the bolt-on version?

thanks
    The only advantage of the RWS through bolt skewer (it is NOT a through axle) over a bolt on axle is convenience of wheel removal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Commit or eat sh!t
    As long as the the hub is the standard 135mm, you can go back and forth. But you need a conversion kit to go from 10mm to QR: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18762

Or you can use the DT RWS Thru bolt. But the regular bolt-on will be stiffer I would think, since that is what is generally used on FR/DH bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This subject of 10mm rear thru axles always gets confusing. I will be ordering a Hope Pro II for a Saint 10mm axle - will be used on my Santa Cruz Blur LT. The Saint uses a standard 10mm axle. You can order one from Transition bikes, Sun Ringle to name a few 10mm axle sources

Now with More Wood
    Well, thanks all for the answer....but I'm still unclear on the very first one though: will the Hope Pro II 10mm Bolt-on fit my Enduro SL (which is today running a standard QR hub)?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Well, thanks all for the answer....but I'm still unclear on the very first one though: will the Hope Pro II 10mm Bolt-on fit my Enduro SL (which is today running a standard QR hub)?
    yes
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    yes
    Gracias!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes I run the bolt on rear hub with standard drop outs. However if you want to run the RWS 10mm thru skewer you don't want the 'bolt on' conversion, you need the 10mm thru axle conversion. This will then allow you to use the RWS skewer, the saint thru axle or any other 10mm axle. These should all work with standard drop outs as well (I've tried a couple of variants on my 5spot and they have all worked fine)

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The only advantage of the RWS through bolt skewer (it is NOT a through axle) over a bolt on axle is convenience of wheel removal.
    that, and that it is something that makes you look unique at the trailhead Hadley 10mm bolt on axle works great for me.....though I have a DT ratchet on another bike and its nice, but a waste of money since who cares if you save 10 seconds when changing a flat

mtbr member
    Is there a 10 mm axle conversion for Easton AM Havoc rear hub?

ups and downs
    The Easton Havoc axle kit is supposed to be released any day now. I had a chance to beta test an axle upgrade kit and they are nice, includes new bearings and a new axle. It really stiffens up a swingarm on a FS bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The plough
    +1 for Hadley through axle.

I use it, its nicely made and solid... in fact every aggressive off road bike should use a through axle...hmmm I may start a crusade on this....

You would be amazed at how many people are passionately attached to their QRs for absolutely no reason at all. You can check for yourself, tell the next AM+ rider to change his front/rear/both QR to a through axle, and see what happens

V.

squish is good
    Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread because I'm confused as hell about this system. So the way I read it the Hadley system is designed to convert a 135mm QR dropout to a 10mm thru axle setup? So the inserts shown on the axle are meant to fit into the dropouts and create a thru axle system? Here's a pic:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1961

If so, this only will work with a Hadley hub or a Saint hub if I'm reading it correctly. Is there a specific Saint or Hadley hub that needs to be used? It doesn't specify and I know there are various versions available out there. If that is the case, it seems this system is significantly more expensive than say, a Hope Pro 2 rear axle with a 10mm bolt on setup, is it worth the extra money?

This is all about stiffening up the rear end to match the front, I've been a 20mm convert on the forks for a couple years now but I didn't realize how much flex I was getting from my rear wheel till I picked up a bike with a 12x150mm rear end. I'd like to get my trailbike running with a similar setup if possible.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That picture I believe is either for the Saint hub or 10mm front conversion.

Thru bolt is different than bolt on.

Bolt on still use the "standard" 9mm axle with female threaded ends on it.

10mm is the max on a 135mm rear without modification.

The 150mm rear DH setup is thru bolt 12mm or more.

Fun bolt is the same as bolt on.

Hope / Hadley / DT offer the thru-bolts.

Easton / CK offer bolt on options.

I am thinking of doing the same thing as the 20mm front is such a big improvement to 9mm.

The Hadley is a specific rear hub purchase with the black 10mm bolt with the screw on end/washer. The two inner larger pieces must fit against the Saint hub. That is why it is more $.

The bolt is the only thing in the dropout vs endcap, fitting like the front 20mm except with open dropouts. Bolt does not need to be removed to take off wheel, only loosened.

Rob

The plough
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Here's a pic:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1961

If so, this only will work with a Hadley hub or a Saint hub if I'm reading it correctly. Is there a specific Saint or Hadley hub that needs to be used? It doesn't specify and I know there are various versions available out there. If that is the case, it seems this system is significantly more expensive than say, a Hope Pro 2 rear axle with a 10mm bolt on setup, is it worth the extra money?
    That Hadley through axle looks different to the Hadley one I am using.

Mine fits in the standard 10 x 135mm through axle hub in the A-Class Revolt wheelset that originally came with a 10mm QR through axle. I did not need to modify anything.

I now have it installed on my Banshee Rune and it fits perfectly into the dropouts.

And yes, what I said before, a solid bolt through rear axle is vastly superior to a QR or 10mm QR axle. The 10mm QR is particularly awful so if that is what you have, just go and get a bolt through 10 x 135mm axle now.

V.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    That Hadley through axle looks different to the Hadley one I am using.

Mine fits in the standard 10 x 135mm through axle hub in the A-Class Revolt wheelset that originally came with a 10mm QR through axle. I did not need to modify anything.

I now have it installed on my Banshee Rune and it fits perfectly into the dropouts.

And yes, what I said before, a solid bolt through rear axle is vastly superior to a QR or 10mm QR axle. The 10mm QR is particularly awful so if that is what you have, just go and get a bolt through 10 x 135mm axle now.

V.
    I am still a little confused about what exactly the difference is between a 10mm bolt on and the Hadley system. Is say a Hope Pro 2 10mm bolt on different than this design? As I understand it a thru axle is captured as opposed to something that just bolts onto QR dropouts, what part of the Hadley system makes it more of a thru axle? Or are they all bolt ons and it's just a terminology thing?

I feel pretty dense about this subject, I've asked this question it seems a hundred times and I can't seem to get a straight answer on it...
    Bike good, work bad.

The plough
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I am still a little confused about what exactly the difference is between a 10mm bolt on and the Hadley system.
    Think of the "standard" Hadley through axle that fits into generic 10x135mm through axle hubs as a QR where one end is a hex key nut.That's it.

Instead of a lever, you have a nut. Nothing more complicated than that.

I'll try to find you an image...

Here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2360574/

That part with a "tongue" slid all the way to the nut end. It should sit flush against the other end of the axle.

V.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The Easton Havoc axle kit is supposed to be released any day now.
    Was it released? I can not find it anywhere. I was thinking about picking up a set of Havoc AM, but would like to use them with 10mm bolt on..

ups and downs
    They have a phone number on the site for the 15mm thru axle adapter, it'll be the same department, give 'em a shout 1-800-347-3901 ext 5177

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W...heel__top.html
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-09-2009 at 05:50 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What options are available if you do a bolt on or through axle on your rear drop out to have the front end match the stiffness of the rear? Talking about a fork with standard drop outs. Is the DT RWS system the best thing to stiffen up a Fork short of buying a fork with a through axle 20mm or 15mm.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    i just got my hope pro 2 bolt on in the mail, looks very strong compared to the standard quick release, bolt on is super affordable too...i cant wait to put it on!

I dream on two wheels
    To the guys that swapped to a 10mm thru axle, how did you get the old piece that the skewer goes through? Tap it from the rotor side? I tapping pretty hard and its not moving too far. Thanks.

-Simon
    Whiskey

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    To the guys that swapped to a 10mm thru axle, how did you get the old piece that the skewer goes through? Tap it from the rotor side? I tapping pretty hard and its not moving too far. Thanks.

-Simon
    Hey I found the helpful videos on Hopes website. Got it, thanks.

-Simon
    Whiskey

tg
    mtbr member

I'll never go back

Diggin what the 10mm TA did for my 5 spot. I would give this upgrade a huge hell yea!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10mm rear axle questions-cimg0738.jpg  

10mm rear axle questions-cimg0741.jpg  

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    tg, where did you get those cable end caps, me likey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast