Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
  1. #1
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,964

    10mm rear axle questions

    Hi,

    will a 10mm bolt-on rear hub (Hope Pro II, to be exact) fit a "standard" rear dropout (Spesh Enduro SL - currently with a QR hub of course)? And, second question: can said hub be used directly with a 10mm thru axle (like the DT RWS Thru bolt for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/R...ModelID=21670), and if so, are there any further advantages (in terms of stiffness) over the bolt-on version?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Hi,

    will a 10mm bolt-on rear hub (Hope Pro II, to be exact) fit a "standard" rear dropout (Spesh Enduro SL - currently with a QR hub of course)? And, second question: can said hub be used directly with a 10mm thru axle (like the DT RWS Thru bolt for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/R...ModelID=21670), and if so, are there any further advantages (in terms of stiffness) over the bolt-on version?

    thanks
    The only advantage of the RWS through bolt skewer (it is NOT a through axle) over a bolt on axle is convenience of wheel removal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    Commit or eat sh!t
    Reputation: Cable0guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,384
    As long as the the hub is the standard 135mm, you can go back and forth. But you need a conversion kit to go from 10mm to QR: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18762

    Or you can use the DT RWS Thru bolt. But the regular bolt-on will be stiffer I would think, since that is what is generally used on FR/DH bikes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,030
    This subject of 10mm rear thru axles always gets confusing. I will be ordering a Hope Pro II for a Saint 10mm axle - will be used on my Santa Cruz Blur LT. The Saint uses a standard 10mm axle. You can order one from Transition bikes, Sun Ringle to name a few 10mm axle sources

  5. #5
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,964
    Well, thanks all for the answer....but I'm still unclear on the very first one though: will the Hope Pro II 10mm Bolt-on fit my Enduro SL (which is today running a standard QR hub)?

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Well, thanks all for the answer....but I'm still unclear on the very first one though: will the Hope Pro II 10mm Bolt-on fit my Enduro SL (which is today running a standard QR hub)?
    yes
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    yes
    Gracias!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11
    Yes I run the bolt on rear hub with standard drop outs. However if you want to run the RWS 10mm thru skewer you don't want the 'bolt on' conversion, you need the 10mm thru axle conversion. This will then allow you to use the RWS skewer, the saint thru axle or any other 10mm axle. These should all work with standard drop outs as well (I've tried a couple of variants on my 5spot and they have all worked fine)

  9. #9
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The only advantage of the RWS through bolt skewer (it is NOT a through axle) over a bolt on axle is convenience of wheel removal.
    that, and that it is something that makes you look unique at the trailhead Hadley 10mm bolt on axle works great for me.....though I have a DT ratchet on another bike and its nice, but a waste of money since who cares if you save 10 seconds when changing a flat

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    853
    Is there a 10 mm axle conversion for Easton AM Havoc rear hub?

  11. #11
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    The Easton Havoc axle kit is supposed to be released any day now. I had a chance to beta test an axle upgrade kit and they are nice, includes new bearings and a new axle. It really stiffens up a swingarm on a FS bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    The plough
    Reputation: vmajor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    662
    +1 for Hadley through axle.

    I use it, its nicely made and solid... in fact every aggressive off road bike should use a through axle...hmmm I may start a crusade on this....

    You would be amazed at how many people are passionately attached to their QRs for absolutely no reason at all. You can check for yourself, tell the next AM+ rider to change his front/rear/both QR to a through axle, and see what happens


    V.

  13. #13
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread because I'm confused as hell about this system. So the way I read it the Hadley system is designed to convert a 135mm QR dropout to a 10mm thru axle setup? So the inserts shown on the axle are meant to fit into the dropouts and create a thru axle system? Here's a pic:


    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1961

    If so, this only will work with a Hadley hub or a Saint hub if I'm reading it correctly. Is there a specific Saint or Hadley hub that needs to be used? It doesn't specify and I know there are various versions available out there. If that is the case, it seems this system is significantly more expensive than say, a Hope Pro 2 rear axle with a 10mm bolt on setup, is it worth the extra money?

    This is all about stiffening up the rear end to match the front, I've been a 20mm convert on the forks for a couple years now but I didn't realize how much flex I was getting from my rear wheel till I picked up a bike with a 12x150mm rear end. I'd like to get my trailbike running with a similar setup if possible.
    Bike good, work bad.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    347
    That picture I believe is either for the Saint hub or 10mm front conversion.

    Thru bolt is different than bolt on.

    Bolt on still use the "standard" 9mm axle with female threaded ends on it.

    10mm is the max on a 135mm rear without modification.

    The 150mm rear DH setup is thru bolt 12mm or more.

    Fun bolt is the same as bolt on.

    Hope / Hadley / DT offer the thru-bolts.

    Easton / CK offer bolt on options.

    I am thinking of doing the same thing as the 20mm front is such a big improvement to 9mm.

    The Hadley is a specific rear hub purchase with the black 10mm bolt with the screw on end/washer. The two inner larger pieces must fit against the Saint hub. That is why it is more $.

    The bolt is the only thing in the dropout vs endcap, fitting like the front 20mm except with open dropouts. Bolt does not need to be removed to take off wheel, only loosened.

    Rob

  15. #15
    The plough
    Reputation: vmajor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Here's a pic:


    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1961

    If so, this only will work with a Hadley hub or a Saint hub if I'm reading it correctly. Is there a specific Saint or Hadley hub that needs to be used? It doesn't specify and I know there are various versions available out there. If that is the case, it seems this system is significantly more expensive than say, a Hope Pro 2 rear axle with a 10mm bolt on setup, is it worth the extra money?
    That Hadley through axle looks different to the Hadley one I am using.

    Mine fits in the standard 10 x 135mm through axle hub in the A-Class Revolt wheelset that originally came with a 10mm QR through axle. I did not need to modify anything.

    I now have it installed on my Banshee Rune and it fits perfectly into the dropouts.

    And yes, what I said before, a solid bolt through rear axle is vastly superior to a QR or 10mm QR axle. The 10mm QR is particularly awful so if that is what you have, just go and get a bolt through 10 x 135mm axle now.

    V.

  16. #16
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    That Hadley through axle looks different to the Hadley one I am using.

    Mine fits in the standard 10 x 135mm through axle hub in the A-Class Revolt wheelset that originally came with a 10mm QR through axle. I did not need to modify anything.

    I now have it installed on my Banshee Rune and it fits perfectly into the dropouts.

    And yes, what I said before, a solid bolt through rear axle is vastly superior to a QR or 10mm QR axle. The 10mm QR is particularly awful so if that is what you have, just go and get a bolt through 10 x 135mm axle now.

    V.
    I am still a little confused about what exactly the difference is between a 10mm bolt on and the Hadley system. Is say a Hope Pro 2 10mm bolt on different than this design? As I understand it a thru axle is captured as opposed to something that just bolts onto QR dropouts, what part of the Hadley system makes it more of a thru axle? Or are they all bolt ons and it's just a terminology thing?

    I feel pretty dense about this subject, I've asked this question it seems a hundred times and I can't seem to get a straight answer on it...
    Bike good, work bad.

  17. #17
    The plough
    Reputation: vmajor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I am still a little confused about what exactly the difference is between a 10mm bolt on and the Hadley system.
    Think of the "standard" Hadley through axle that fits into generic 10x135mm through axle hubs as a QR where one end is a hex key nut.That's it.

    Instead of a lever, you have a nut. Nothing more complicated than that.

    I'll try to find you an image...

    Here:

    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2360574/

    That part with a "tongue" slid all the way to the nut end. It should sit flush against the other end of the axle.

    V.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The Easton Havoc axle kit is supposed to be released any day now.
    Was it released? I can not find it anywhere. I was thinking about picking up a set of Havoc AM, but would like to use them with 10mm bolt on..

  19. #19
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    They have a phone number on the site for the 15mm thru axle adapter, it'll be the same department, give 'em a shout 1-800-347-3901 ext 5177

    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W...heel__top.html
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-09-2009 at 06:50 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    What options are available if you do a bolt on or through axle on your rear drop out to have the front end match the stiffness of the rear? Talking about a fork with standard drop outs. Is the DT RWS system the best thing to stiffen up a Fork short of buying a fork with a through axle 20mm or 15mm.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    i just got my hope pro 2 bolt on in the mail, looks very strong compared to the standard quick release, bolt on is super affordable too...i cant wait to put it on!

  22. #22
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    742
    To the guys that swapped to a 10mm thru axle, how did you get the old piece that the skewer goes through? Tap it from the rotor side? I tapping pretty hard and its not moving too far. Thanks.

    -Simon
    Whiskey

  23. #23
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    To the guys that swapped to a 10mm thru axle, how did you get the old piece that the skewer goes through? Tap it from the rotor side? I tapping pretty hard and its not moving too far. Thanks.

    -Simon
    Hey I found the helpful videos on Hopes website. Got it, thanks.

    -Simon
    Whiskey

  24. #24
    tg
    tg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,430

    I'll never go back

    Diggin what the 10mm TA did for my 5 spot. I would give this upgrade a huge hell yea!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10mm rear axle questions-cimg0738.jpg  

    10mm rear axle questions-cimg0741.jpg  


  25. #25
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,543
    tg, where did you get those cable end caps, me likey.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RiceKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    tg, where did you get those cable end caps, me likey.
    Purelycustom.com, I asked him before.


    +1 on the funbolts/10mm rear. Definitely noticed it.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    I've just gone from 9mm QR to a Hadley 10mm on a set of 09 Mavic Crossmax SXs.
    Fitted today, will test it tomorrow

    One thing i'm not sure on though is; I currently have the side with the Allen Key head on the drive side, and the slotted side on the opposite.

    Originally the QR was setup the opposite way around, i'm guessing for ease of access.

    Is there any issue with running this way around? or should i swap it so the slotted side is on the drive.

    Plus one more thing, is there any sort of recommended torque rating for this axle? Or is hand-tight good enough.

    Thanks!

  28. #28
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    I've just gone from 9mm QR to a Hadley 10mm on a set of 09 Mavic Crossmax SXs.
    Fitted today, will test it tomorrow

    One thing i'm not sure on though is; I currently have the side with the Allen Key head on the drive side, and the slotted side on the opposite.

    Originally the QR was setup the opposite way around, i'm guessing for ease of access.

    Is there any issue with running this way around? or should i swap it so the slotted side is on the drive.

    Plus one more thing, is there any sort of recommended torque rating for this axle? Or is hand-tight good enough.

    Thanks!
    Ummm...9mm is front, 10mm is rear. They do not mix.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    I've just gone from 9mm QR to a Hadley 10mm on a set of 09 Mavic Crossmax SXs.
    Fitted today, will test it tomorrow

    One thing i'm not sure on though is; I currently have the side with the Allen Key head on the drive side, and the slotted side on the opposite.

    Originally the QR was setup the opposite way around, i'm guessing for ease of access.

    Is there any issue with running this way around? or should i swap it so the slotted side is on the drive.

    Plus one more thing, is there any sort of recommended torque rating for this axle? Or is hand-tight good enough.

    Thanks!
    I've always run mine with the slot on the drive side. I always wondered what the "correct"
    way to run the thing is?
    Nobody cares...........

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    I have a 20mm thru axle on the front and used to have a 9mm QR on the back, which i've now replaced with a 10mm with reducers (the SXs hub takes a 12mm, but my Tracer VP will only accept a 10mm)

  31. #31
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    I have a 20mm thru axle on the front and used to have a 9mm QR on the back, which i've now replaced with a 10mm with reducers (the SXs hub takes a 12mm, but my Tracer VP will only accept a 10mm)
    No you did not. Nobody has ever made a 9mm rear axle, QR or not. 10mm is the "standard" rear axle/dropout diameter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    131

    Hope Pro II Bolt On.

    Thought I would throw my two cents into this topic. I have both the bolt on and thru axle rear hubs. They both are leaps and bounds better than the normal 10mm QR axle.

    The only complaint that I have had with the bolt on is the bolts seem to work themselves loose. Which can be exceptionally annoying and potentially dangerous. And this is during normal cross country riding. I have had to put Loctite on the threads, but this makes it a pain in the butt to change a flat. I will be switching this to a thru axle shortly.

    What thru axle works the best with Hope Pros?

    Thanks,
    Rich

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No you did not. Nobody has ever made a 9mm rear axle, QR or not. 10mm is the "standard" rear axle/dropout diameter.
    I never said I have a 9mm rear axle, what I said was I had a Mavic 9mm QR skewer.
    The mavic crossmax sx accepts a 12mm rear axle, so i was using 12-9mm reducers for the QR.
    Check out the wheel specs here - http://www.pinkbike.com/product/mavic/Crossmax-SX/
    Hub Dimensions: Front: 20mm x 110mm. Rear: 12mm x 135mm (9mm QR with adapter)

    I'm now using a Hadley 10mm with 12-10mm mavic reducers.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    I've always run mine with the slot on the drive side. I always wondered what the "correct"
    way to run the thing is?
    Well as I wasn't sure, i swapped it over this afternoon to be on the safe side.

    BTW - in terms of tightness, do you know if there is recommended torque rating for a Hadley? I torqued it upto around 9nm, which seemed nice and snug.

  35. #35
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    I never said I have a 9mm rear axle, what I said was I had a Mavic 9mm QR skewer.
    The mavic crossmax sx accepts a 12mm rear axle, so i was using 12-9mm reducers for the QR.
    Check out the wheel specs here - http://www.pinkbike.com/product/mavic/Crossmax-SX/
    Hub Dimensions: Front: 20mm x 110mm. Rear: 12mm x 135mm (9mm QR with adapter)

    I'm now using a Hadley 10mm with 12-10mm mavic reducers.
    Pinkbike is mistaken (big surprise), as are some other e-tailers. The adaptors step down to 10mm to fit open rear dropouts (10mm standard). The skewer itself has a 5mm shaft. Or if Mavic offers a through bolt type skewer (doubtful and the mavic site is not loading for me to check), it will be a 10mm shaft, not 9mm. Bottom line is there are no 9mm rear dropouts used on any mtbs. Rear open dropouts are 10mm. Open front are 9mm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Pinkbike is mistaken (big surprise), as are some other e-tailers. The adaptors step down to 10mm to fit open rear dropouts (10mm standard). The skewer itself has a 5mm shaft. Or if Mavic offers a through bolt type skewer (doubtful and the mavic site is not loading for me to check), it will be a 10mm shaft, not 9mm. Bottom line is there are no 9mm rear dropouts used on any mtbs. Rear open dropouts are 10mm. Open front are 9mm.
    Could be, but I had to remove 9mm QR reducers to fit the 10mm Hadley, and they were definitely too small for the 10mm hadley, which led to me believe it was a 9mm QR.

    Admittedly the drop-outs are 10mm, I agree.

  37. #37
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    Could be, but I had to remove 9mm QR reducers to fit the 10mm Hadley, and they were definitely too small for the 10mm hadley, which led to me believe it was a 9mm QR.

    Admittedly the drop-outs are 10mm, I agree.
    As I said, standard QR skewer shafts are 5mm
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  38. #38
    Does Not Belong on a Bike
    Reputation: hojiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey
    ...One thing i'm not sure on though is; I currently have the side with the Allen Key head on the drive side, and the slotted side on the opposite.

    Originally the QR was setup the opposite way around, i'm guessing for ease of access.

    Is there any issue with running this way around? or should i swap it so the slotted side is on the drive...
    It is easier to get to the bolt head if you put it on the non drive side as you are not competing with the derailleur but it will fit either way.

    Just finished lacing up my Hadley's today!
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Okay thanks, to be fair it seemed fine both ways, but now at least i'm following the crowd

    Only issue I have now is that the rear wheel isn't spinning so freely anymore, I think at 9nm it may be too tight (felt like a hand-brake yesterday when riding).

    I need to back it off tonight, and see if that helps. Only issue is that (as mentioned elsewhere) I want to still have it tight enough to avoid any slipping.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shapirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Falling
    What thru axle works the best with Hope Pros?
    I'm echoing this question. I'm gonna get a set of Hope Hoops on Pro2 wheels soon and considering switching the rear hub to 10mm bolt through just out of curiosity. But I'll then have to get the axle itself too.
    Will it work at all on a Giant Trance X by the way?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus
    I'm echoing this question. I'm gonna get a set of Hope Hoops on Pro2 wheels soon and considering switching the rear hub to 10mm bolt through just out of curiosity. But I'll then have to get the axle itself too.
    Will it work at all on a Giant Trance X by the way?
    any 10mm axle will work, it's more a matter of preference. i like the hadley axle, others like the dt/swiss system. and yes a 10mm bolt on hub/axle will work on a trance x.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    would a 10mm axle be the same as a 3/8" bolt on axle? I know that 3/8" converts to 9.52mm. i just know know if the .48 of a mm would change everything.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlempka
    would a 10mm axle be the same as a 3/8" bolt on axle?
    And the answer is...

    Quote Originally Posted by ajlempka
    I know that 3/8" converts to 9.52mm.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajlempka
    i just know know if the .48 of a mm would change everything.
    No, unfortunately it only changes the axle diameter.

  44. #44
    Intense Uzzer
    Reputation: dopaminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Diggin what the 10mm TA did for my 5 spot. I would give this upgrade a huge hell yea!
    I have just installed the same 10mm Hadley bolt on my Intense Uzzi (took some hacksaw modifications to fit the spacer....) and really need to hear some advice about the question that several people have asked in this thread but no-one yet has really answered: tightening torque. Someone mentioned 9Nm, another said `hand tight`. When I do mine up to 9Nm the freewheel on my I9s really bogs down; there`s obviously some compression/drag happening. Not a good thing. When I back off the torque everything loosens up.... How light do people go on the torque for the Hadley bolt, or any thru bolt for that matter?

    Anybody?
    2010 Intense Uzzi
    2009 Wilier Izoard

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rinseflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    361
    9Nm is not much torque at all, Halo bolt-on 5mm skewers use something like that, if I remember correctly. I had a POS(that's another story) NSBikes Coaster and it had 16Nm for the bolt torque.

    Right now I've been looking for bolt torque to Hope SS/Trials hub so I could go ride it. Apparently NO torque has been specified ANYWHERE.. or maybe I just don't know how to use teh interwebs.

    All I've found is this:
    Hope 10mm Bolt ons coming loose

    That would be 27Nm, right?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    229
    Thank you for posting this, and for all the contributions! I was just looking into this exact same thing - and thanks to this, I just ordered the kit from Easton, and look forward trying it out :-) (I also ordered a rim as well - having almost taco'd my front rim recently).

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    372

    Chris King?

    What about Chris King ISO rear? Is Fun Bolt the only option?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    853
    You can machine out the axle that the fun bolts thread into. I did this for my SOCOM about 3 seasons ago and it's proved to be very durable.
    baby wipes FTW

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    So what other hubs have 10mm compatibility?

    So far I've got Hope Pro II, Hadleys, and Mavic Crossmax SX.

    Also, might be a dumb question, but if a hub is 12mm compatible, couldn't you convert it to a 10mm with some kind of reducer?

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    853
    Bore out a King with fun bolts and voila, 10 mm TA capability.

    Reducers can also be used. It'll work if you need to roll with it.
    baby wipes FTW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •