mtbr member
    Feb 2005

$900 for XC/AM Wheelset - Your pick?

Looking at a wide variety of XC/AM wheels. I'm light (160lbs) and don't ride sloppy so I think I can get away with a lighter wheelset and be fine. Going on a Mojo SL (15mm front, QR rear).

Ultimately looking to go with XX1 so King is out of the running.

Looking closest at DT240s on Stans Crest or Flow EX. Also considering Hadley but can't believe they don't have a damn website! LOL

Also considering Crossmax ST, Stans own 3.30 wheelset (saving a bunch of $$$), or others.

Crankbrothers has a slick upgrade plan right now and offering Cobalt 3 wheelsets for $600. However, after digging it seems like there are too many horror stories for those. Heard they redesigned them, but still sounds a bit sketchy.

Open to recommendations! Thx

mtbr member
    If it were me, I'd go with the Arch EX's laced to Stan's 3.30 hubs and put the rest of the dough into other areas of your bike (tires, a nice dropper post, etc.) I didn't know Stan had these on the way:

XD Driver/Freehub SRAM 11 MTB

I've owned 6 sets (I think) of Stan's hubs over the years, and only had a minor issue with one (1st version loosened up on me, but resulted in no damage.) Best hub for the money, IMO.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    King hubs with Arches. Done.

This combo is treating me right on my rigid 29er.

bike rider
    DT 240 hubs*, Sapim CX-Rays or DT Aerolite spokes, brass nipples (to deal with the high tension carbon rims are capable of), and your favorite $150 Chinese carbon rim. I've always loved NoTubes rims but the new carbons are the same or lighter weight and way stiffer for only $60 more per rim.
    How wide are the tires you wanna run? That'll determine if you should get XC or AM width rims.

*You can save some money on the front hub buy getting something cheap that's the same weight. Front hubs are simple and I just shop price vs weight. For the rear DT 240 is it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    i'm building a new hardtail this winter and i'm in the same boat except i won't be going to x11. my thinking is 240s hubs, cx-ray, arches. or wtbi19/i23 or dt xm490

i'm also really considering the I9 cross country wheelset for $1100. something keeps me going back and searching for dt tricon 1550 for $900 or so. the I9 comes built with arches and you get the poe. have heard good things about the tricon... a possible nightmare if they ever need to be worked on though.

probably gonna go 240/cx-ray/arches. i have 240 and 350 hubs on other bikes and have been really happy with them. no tools at all needed for a basic service. cx-rays are a bit cheaper than the aerolites and there shouldn't be any discernable difference. arches have good reviews. should be a pretty light and reliable wheelset.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'll likely be sticking with 2.2 tire widths. Also waiting for Ibis to report back on their wheel testing to see which brands don't have any clearance issues with XX1.

Thanks for the input so far. Oh, and the King recommendation won't work as it doesn't work with XX1. Great stuff though!

Also considering the new Industry Nine Torch, but the Industry Nine website still doesn't show them and with them being brand new and unproven, I might pass...

mtbr member
    I9 if you can go above $900 a bit. Ask Hans about xx1. I think they are working on compatibility.

Perpetual Hack
    Just had a set of Hadley / DT-Comp / Stans Flow EX just priced out from Chad at Redbarn (Montana)

Under 7 bills.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    I9 if you can go above $900 a bit. Ask Hans about xx1. I think they are working on compatibility.
    Definitely curious about the new I9 Torch wheelsets. Surprised the I9 website still doesn't show them given the huge amount of press/previews.

As for Hans, I'm the one who started the thread asking Hans for official support. He says they purchased a ton of different hubs/wheelsets and the vast majority work fine. Full details should be this week I think...Absolutely love how active Hans is in the Ibis board. Stellar customer support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Just had a set of Hadley / DT-Comp / Stans Flow EX just priced out from Chad at Redbarn (Montana)

Under 7 bills.

michael
    Is there some crazy sale going on there? That seems like an incredible price!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Definitely curious about the new I9 Torch wheelsets. Surprised the I9 website still doesn't show them given the huge amount of press/previews.

As for Hans, I'm the one who started the thread asking Hans for official support. He says they purchased a ton of different hubs/wheelsets and the vast majority work fine. Full details should be this week I think...Absolutely love how active Hans is in the Ibis board. Stellar customer support!
    Hans is awesome. Great guy. I run i9 stuff and was told by someone at i9 it should fit. You can call them as well. I think they have a few ibis bikes rolling around there. I did see the post. I9 has a new am wheel not out just yet, carbon wheel 32 spokes Reynolds hoop, 1550 grams and stout. You can order it with xx1 as well.